Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coconut Oil page

RogerDeRok is offline Member

I finally bought some of this since a lot of primal recipes call for it.

Since the label doesn't say, how is this supposed to be stored? It was all solid when I bought it but sitting in the pantry now it's all liquid (warm in my house).

Should I refrigerate this?

Mr B Guest

Nah. It's supposed to be like that.

RogerDeRok is offline Member

Supposed to be solid, or liquid?

Do I refrigerate after opening?

whitecap Guest

The Spectrum website says this about storing their organic coconut oil:

"Store in a cool dry place (50 to 68 degrees F optimum) away from direct sources of sunlight, heat and other oxidizers. Properly stored unopened containers have an expected shelf life of 24 months from the date of manufacture."

Sorry, I'm no expert but fwiw, I very much doubt you could damage the oil by refrigerating it if you think it may be getting too hot.

As far as what coconut oil "should" look like, in my own experience so far, under mild climatic conditions (room temps up to the low 20s Celsius, i.e. up to about 80 degrees F), it's a solid.

Personally, after reading the above info from the Spectrum site just now, I think I'll be keeping mine in the fridge from here till the cool weather sets in again ...

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

It has a very low m.p. Mine bounces btwn solid and liquid all the time. You dont need to fridge it. Its a very stable oil (thats why we use it in the first place) so it wont go rancid.

Tip: I got a big jar so I split it btwn 4 pint jars and sealed those. I only have one open at a time, so it lessens the chance that anything happens (ie air) while it takes me a while to work through so much coco oil.

More tips: great in coconut flour pancakes and awesome as a butter sub!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Riceball Guest

there are two kinds of coconut oil out there actually

one is not oil in a jar, which could be stored in room temprature,

the other is "coconut butter", which looks just like butter and it's packaged in solid squares, and those should go in fridge.

whitecap Guest

I only just found out today, prompted by Roger's comment to improve the state of my own coconut oil knowledge, that the coconut shortening known by the brand name Copha in Australia - the one of childhood staple "chocolate crackle" fame - is a decidely unnatural and unhealthy form of coconut fat - it's RBD (refined, bleached, and deodorized) and hydrogenated. I never did like chocolate crackles much (gaggingly sweet little lumps of a sugar, cocoa, rice cereal and copha slurry you solidify in the fridge while hopping on one leg in anticipation of a hyperglycemia induced coma), but still probably managed to down enough over the course of my childhood to do some horrible things to my health ...

Miriam Guest

RogerDeRok, your coconut oil will be ok solid or liquid, probably easier for cooking having it in a liquid format (mine is currently solid as it is cooler where I am and I have to use a sturdy spoon to dig it out). I have never refrigerated mine and it has never gone rancid (though it doesn’t last long as I cook with it a lot, also good for a body moisturizer if you run out).

Whitecap, ah the good old chocolate crackle, your comments made me laugh and brought back memories, they were at every party I ever attended as a child along with the fairy bread and Cottees cordial...

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I was shopping for coconut oil. Spectrum makes organic oils. They have both refined and unrefined coconut oil. Refined is better for higher cooking temperatures. It' says it's "naturally refined." So is this good to use or not?

http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=87

musajen is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I think the recommendation from Sisson is that you go with unrefined coconut oil. From my experience, coconut oil holds up pretty well on high/med-high heat on my stove.

If you search for coconut (or maybe it was coconut oil) on MDA there's a post that talks about what to look for in coconut oils.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast