Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ketosis and potential pregnancy question page

splunky is offline Senior Member

ketosis and potential pregnancy question

Primal Fuel
    I am still finding my way around doing PB with a family so not into PB at all. Have learned some new recipes and some things about myself through all this. I have also gained a few (well, alot) lbs and would like to get a jump start on this healthy way of eating and lose some weight. I plan to keep around 20-30 grams of carbs, including whatever foods i desire that are Primal.
    My problem is, it's possible I am pregnant. Will ketosis harm a potential pregnancy or cause it to not happen? Its very early, only a few days, I don't want to risk anything, but am not sure if this is any risk? I also don't want to waste this 2 weeks while waiting, lnot lose any weight, or get into the "sweet spot" and find out I am not pregnant!
    What do you think? Thx for the help.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I would adjust your focus to very healthy eating and exercise instead of weight loss. Even if you're obese, you don't want to lose weight while pregnant. You also may face 3 months of (possible severe) morning sickness, and to precede that with intentional weight loss would just make it harder.

I don't know how ketosis fits into pregnancy, but my instinct is that it isn't a good idea.

So eat good primal food, don't aim for ketosis...your body is powering up to do the most AMAZING thing it ever does!!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I just did a bit of googling. Kinda interesting. Half the hits are the dangers of ketones for pregnant ewes and other animals! But that seems to be all related to pre-eclampsia/toxemia. Not sure that's the same issue as dietary ketosis.

Other posts talked about the lack of research on this issue. Some pointed out that if you do have severe morning sickness, you'll be in ketosis anyway, and that's been true for all of human history. Morning sickness actually correlates with HEALTHIER pregnancies! So maybe ketosis isn't inherently bad?

Still, my first paragraph still stands. Don't aim to lose weight right now, through any means. You need to start on the road of accepting that your body is going to get bigger, much bigger.

One final comment: if you are pregnant, stay low carb, and they offer you the Gestational Diabetes screen at 24 weeks, it sounds like being low carb can give false positives on that test. It's a poor-accuracy test at the best of times, but it sounds like low carb just makes it worse.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    Other posts talked about the lack of research on this issue.
    I've read over and over folks, even in the primal realm, not recommending ketosis b/c of lack of knowldege on the issue. It would make sense to me that thoughout our evolutionary history there would have been times when women would have been *forced* to be in ketosis during preg. due to the available/nonavailable foods. Not sure if that is optimal though.

That said, I don't know whether it is dangerous or not.

Fat is where we store toxins. If you are losing fat, you are releasing old toxins to circulate in your body, and fetuses suck that stuff up from what I've read. I personally would not purposely lose weight while pregnant. If its a huge concern of yours, I'd wait to see if you ARE preg. and if you are not, postpone trying until you are at your preferred weight (utilizing primal eating and ketosis to get where you want to be). If you really ARE preg. now, I'd just try and focus on eating primal foods to satiate your cravings. Almost all the pg. primal women I've known (IRL and online) have craved more carbs in preg, some eating potatoes and white rice to meet those cravings for extra carbs. I'd really try and follow your body on this, and just stick to primal foods as much as possible for the best outcomes for both you and babe. Eating primally most folks will lose weight anyway (even w/out trying and going VLC). I personally wouldn't push it while preg.

More than anything I'd try and follow your body on this, just trying to stick to primal foods.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    I think that people are taking a "better safe than sorry" approach in responding here, but I am going to have to disagree. There is no clear data on ketones being dangerous to a fetus. If they are not dangerous to the mother and actually have many benefits, then it makes no sense that the fetus would be any different.

That being said, many of the women on here who have become pregnant have had a natural increase in cravings for starchy foods such as sweet potatoes. That would suggest that it is a "listen to your body" issue.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    If it adds any food for thought to your ponderings, I lost 40 pounds with my last baby and 30 with this one so far -- Baby #1 was still 10 pounds and seems healthy and brilliant. Baby #2 is ahead of weight schedule too. But that weight loss was not by choice; I just have no appetite and get morning sickness for the entire pregnancy. So you never know how it's gonna go...

As for losing weight while trying to conceive, generally speaking being overweight makes it harder to conceive. I'd say if you're losing weight but still have your periods regularly, you should be OK and it might help your chances of getting pregnant. I was having fertility problems myself, but still managed to get pregnant while in a weight loss mode both times. (dunno if it was officially ketosis, but.)

P.S.: I'm not saying my experience was ideal, just saying no kids appear to have been harmed by how it went down!
    Last edited by Jenny; 11-01-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: P.S.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Quote Originally Posted by lcme View Post
    I think that people are taking a "better safe than sorry" approach in responding here, but I am going to have to disagree. There is no clear data on ketones being dangerous to a fetus. If they are not dangerous to the mother and actually have many benefits, then it makes no sense that the fetus would be any different.
    It does seem that most primal bloggers and scientists also err on the 'better safe than sorry' side of things w/out sharing much info on *why* ketosis 'should' be avoided during preg...(I've still not seen science saying why it is 'dangerous'...)

My post/thoughts are more on the weight loss issue than ketosis. I think there is a major difference between producing ketones, and losing lots of weight in preg (which for some, is not an option--it just happens, b/c of morning sickness, lack of appetite, or other reasons...) I personally lost at least 60 lbs, FAST, while nursing, most likely dumping lots of toxins into my milk. If I were to do it over again, I would prob. not have gone slower w/ my weight loss, but been absolutely certain to get great sources--possibly high quality supplements--for vits. A, B, C, D, E, K2, as well as Mag, Zinc and Selenium to help support my detox pathways and protect my milk (or my growing fetus if I were preg.) I'm not as concerned (personally) w/ ketosis in a thinner mom who will not be losing a lot of weight. (My fat was certainly full of omega 6s as I was an omega 6 heavy eating veg. for so long b/4 losing the weight...) So, this is really where my reservations on the losing weight while preg. thing come from...avoiding dumping stored junk into your growing fetus--not so much related to ketosis...(I'm betting from an evolutionary standpoint, paleolithic women were not overweight and losing lots of weight in preg, ykwim?)

Some links on ketosis and preg. from a paleo/primal/low carb perspective that *may* be helpful?:

http://paleohacks.com/questions/950/...#axzz1434eLWnM

http://robbwolf.com/tag/ketosis-pregnancy/

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/wo...pregnancy.html

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...hp/t-4153.html

Again, good luck figuring out what works best for you! Above all--stick to primal foods and
    "listen to your body"
    Last edited by FairyRae; 11-01-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: clarity

splunky is offline Senior Member
    Thank you all for your replies! I am not sure i feel any more clarity on the subject, but it's good to know others have contemplated this and there is, albeit very limited, research on the subject.

I am not obese, only 15 lbs over weight. I am just wanting to get back inot my jeans again, which will only take 5-7lbs if in ketosis this should be rather quick. I don't ant to start off a pregnancy this heavy. I was only 7 lbs heavier than this when my 4th child was born!!! Btw, my whole 4th pregnancy was pretty Paeo/Primal, without even knowing about sucvh lifestyles. The baby was 6lbs 6oz, and I only gained 15-20lbs total with her! My other children were total SAD diets and they were almost 10lbs!!
    I have learned my lesson.

It will be a long 2 wks, and we are not "trying", this was an "accident", best put without details. lol

I guess I should just focus on primal eating and not ketosis, this will be easier attained anyway. I am just pretty all or nothing in mindset so it's difficult.
    I think I will start a journal today, that will make it a little like accountability!
    thanx again!

15 lbs is not that much, and if you've been eating a relatively 'clean' diet, that makes a lot less toxins to worry about in the fat IMO. I wouldn't worry much at all, just make sure you're getting enough of supporting nutrients esp if you are preggo (ABCD, mag, selenium and zinc) and eat primal as feels best to you.

Fascinating on the weight diff. between the primal babe and the SAD kids. My ds was 10 lb 4 oz after my carb and soy heavy vegetarian pregnancy. I wonder if any future kids would be lighter w/ a primal preg?! (Not likely that I'll be having more, but you never know! )

Hope all goes well w/ whatever happens!

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Interesting question, FairyRae -- and it may differ from mom to mom too. DD#1 was born after a totally carby pregnancy. DD#2 -- already in progress -- seems to be on track to be a big baby too, though I'm eating far more primally now. (When I can eat, anyway.) We'll see how that plays out in this case!
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast