Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to start IF to deal with emotional eating. Advice? page

Rina is offline Member

Looking to start IF to deal with emotional eating. Advice?

Primal Fuel
    Hi.... I'm a busy mom/dancer looking to start some IF-ing. I've been primal for about 3 months and feel good. The only problem is that I love, love the food and want to eat it all the time, especially nuts, dried fruit and chocolate. I'm trying to listen to my body about when to eat, but that message gets muddled when my kids are screaming at me! So I stuff my face with these snack foods to soothe. So, I'm wondering if IF will help with the emotional eating, if not at least make up for it. KWIM? .... Or maybe this should be an emotional eating thread!?

Hannah200 is offline Junior Member
    IF really helped me with emotional eating, something I've been trying to work on for a very long time. It helped me reconnect with my actual physical hunger, it's probably the only thing I've tried that has made a tangible difference.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    IFing has helped me get a better perspective on my eating habits, also I think you would benefit from removing your trigger/binge foods from your house for a while.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I believe IF will help you. I follow the eat eight, fast sixteen program. (dinner, and lunch only, no snacks,

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I think if it's done to positively key into your hunger, then maybe OK. But if you do it for the second reason you mentioned "or maybe make up for it?" I would be very cautious. I was very prone to the "binge, punish, binge, punish" cycle. If you use IF to allow you to emotionally eat or compensate for you emotionally eating, I doubt it's going to work. It becomes an enabler.

How about, instead, having really good primal snacks lying around? What are you snacking on emotionally at the moment?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Listen to Liz. Having said that, IFing certainly has helped me with leaving emotional eating behind - and it was a huge problem for me before. If you need that 'crutch' when you've still got five hours of work before you can go home and eat, it really forces you to sort your issues out!

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    I'm with Liz; if your 'emotional eating' was the root cause of an ED (not saying it was, but it is for a good many) then it's not a good idea. I've only really started taking it seriously (and doing it properly - I follow the Lean Gains route; Martin Berkhan does give very clear advice (amazing when you consider that English is his second language - he writes it better than many folk I know whose it is! He's Swedish).

Two or three times a week I also practise fasted cardio (and I find I have better sessions when I do).

But DON'T use it as emotional punishment, for gods' sakes!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I think that IFing does teach discipline and it teaches you the difference between emotional and physical hunger. Your body is more that capable of going for quite some time without eating, but your mind and emotions wouldn't normally understand it.

Rina is offline Member
    thanks for your responses. i'm a stay at home mom by day and dance teacher by night so what triggers me is the afternoon child mayhem when i find myself stuffing my face with nuts, cheese, pieces of chocolate, fruit. it's all good food (i think), just too much and done without any hunger. i've felt good fasting a little bit (skip breakfast, but still have coffee) but i find that my head starts getting tingly.... which freaks me out and puts me into obsession mode of "when do i get to eat?" has anyone felt that tingle?

bUMbLeB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't think anyone has addressed this point yet, so I'll give it a go: I don't really think those foods listed are "good" foods in the primal sense (nuts, cheese, chocolate, dried fruit). Yes they're much better than SADsnacks, but they're still "cheats" in my mind, not everyday staples. But you're also running one hell of a schedule, and need energy, and those are easy satisfying foods that feed the need. It's telling that you identify afternoons as your trigger time, as that's when lots of folks encounter their daily energy dip.

I IF constantly, and usually only eat around dinner time, but I think it's overrated and maybe counterproductive for some people (I think I'm lucky this way). Though I (almost) never snack, I can imagine IFing might actually increase your craving for snackie foods. When I first started PB I did eat every snack you listed except for dried fruit, but as I adapted I found my cravings fell off one by one (first sugar, then nuts, then chocolate, and recently cheese). I'd say go ahead and try IF, gently, and gauge your response - I'm assuming you don't have any deeper ED problems which might interfere with your ability to read your body's signals. But the more important thing by far is to make sure that your actual meals are sufficiently satisfying to prevent the energy crashes that will drive you back to the cupboard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast