Thread: Dates? page

erica057 is offline Senior Member

Dates?

Primal Fuel
    I noticed that many primal recipes contain dates, often in high proportion. I looked them up in nutritiondata.com, however, and they seem to offer very little benefit. They are very high carb, high sugar (about 50/50 fructose:glucose, just like table sugar), low fiber, high glycemic, devoid of fat and protein, and low in vitamins and minerals. Yet they seem to be an integral part of soooo many PB recipes. Am I missing something here?? Why are they so popular among PB eaters? They seem like a half step away from sugar, with very little benefit!
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    They're essentially a fruit that can be used as sugar and a glue in a dessert recipe. I never use 'em; I prefer to use berries or the minimal honey or vanilla extract I need for sweetness.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    Because we still need to live! closest thing to a Mars Bar...mmmm.

I get what you are saying, but if you take a chilled 'eat whole foods, meat veg and little fruit' approach, rather than analysing every macronutrient, it is a nice treat to end the day. I have to stop myself at 2. I eat them with shredded coconut, very slowly...

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    Well, I am 25, single, sort of cute... and I love caipirinhas and steak. Oh... wait. NOT that date. Shite! Ugh.

ANYWAY... um, youre right. PB uses honey, maple syrup, molasses, dates, dried fruits...etc. Just for a little sweetness and binding I guess. I use them sometimes. Rarely.
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Tara tootie: Your post was the inpiration for me to add the following item that I found in my e-mail.

This has to be one of the best singles ads ever printed. It is reported to have
    been listed in the Atlanta Journal.

SINGLE BLACK FEMALE seeks male companionship, ethnicity unimportant. I'm a very good girl who LOVES to play. I love long walks in the woods, riding in your pickup truck, hunting, camping and fishing trips, cozy winter nights lying by the fire. Candlelight dinners will have me eating out of your hand. I'll be at the front door when you get home from work, wearing only what nature gave me.
    Call (404) 875-6420 and ask for Annie, I'll be waiting

Over 150 men found themselves talking to the Atlanta Humane Society. It was a dog!
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post
    Tara tootie: Your post was the inpiration for me to add the following item that I found in my e-mail.

This has to be one of the best singles ads ever printed. It is reported to have
    been listed in the Atlanta Journal.

SINGLE BLACK FEMALE seeks male companionship, ethnicity unimportant. I'm a very good girl who LOVES to play. I love long walks in the woods, riding in your pickup truck, hunting, camping and fishing trips, cozy winter nights lying by the fire. Candlelight dinners will have me eating out of your hand. I'll be at the front door when you get home from work, wearing only what nature gave me.
    Call (404) 875-6420 and ask for Annie, I'll be waiting

Over 150 men found themselves talking to the Atlanta Humane Society. It was a dog!
    lmao

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    HAHA awesome!!!
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

muaythaiNEZ:) is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Mog View Post
    Because we still need to live! closest thing to a Mars Bar...mmmm.

I get what you are saying, but if you take a chilled 'eat whole foods, meat veg and little fruit' approach, rather than analysing every macronutrient, it is a nice treat to end the day. I have to stop myself at 2. I eat them with shredded coconut, very slowly...
    +1!!!!!

Live and enjoy your treats