Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q for the women page

terrax is offline Member

Question Q for the women

Primal Fuel
    Okay, so I have been 95% primal for about 5 months now and I still get horrible menstrual cramps. So bad that I don't want to go out and do anything. I thought that going primal would make for a painless period, but I have yet to have one. Does anyone else go through this on a primal diet? I feel like I am getting plenty of the nutrients I need, but maybe I am missing something that helps with menstruation... any advice?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrax View Post
    Okay, so I have been 95% primal for about 5 months now and I still get horrible menstrual cramps. So bad that I don't want to go out and do anything. I thought that going primal would make for a painless period, but I have yet to have one. Does anyone else go through this on a primal diet? I feel like I am getting plenty of the nutrients I need, but maybe I am missing something that helps with menstruation... any advice?
    Magnesium. You need more magnesium. Here are all of my saved posts on this topic:
    http://goo.gl/lists/HwSn

I also find neptune krill oil helpful..the combination of NKO and mag is absolutely dreamy.

http://goo.gl/lists/mjeR

Are you taking vitamin D? (see links below in my sig line)

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    I second the Krill oil. Not sure about Mag, I take it anyway, maybe it was helping. I will say however that the addition of the Krill oil stopped my mid month migraines (along with the psycho mood swings). I do notice a difference in the cramps when taking it, but not flow. It's manageable with the Krill.

Quote Originally Posted by elorajade View Post
    I second the Krill oil. Not sure about Mag, I take it anyway, maybe it was helping. I will say however that the addition of the Krill oil stopped my mid month migraines (along with the psycho mood swings). I do notice a difference in the cramps when taking it, but not flow. It's manageable with the Krill.
    If you can get enough mag in you, it works as well as advil to deal with the remaining cramps.

terrax is offline Member
    thanks for the responses! ... so a standard primal diet does not provide enough magnesium?... I do take vitamin D supplements and I live in sunny CA so I should be getting enough D. What does neptune krill oil provide that cod liver oil does not?... right now I am taking cod liver oil

terrax is offline Member
    oh, also- how much mag should I take? around 300-400?

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I second the magnesium, D and Krill oil.
    Do you ever drink any alcohol right before your period? For me, that equals killer cramps. You might also want to try eliminating dairy for 2 weeks before your period- some people crank out the arachidonic acid production from eating dairy.

You might want to look into Chinese Medicine/acupuncture, too. There are some good Chinese herbal remedies for cramps (usually due to liver stagnation) that might help.
    If nothing helps, you should get checked for endometriosis.

terrax is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    I second the magnesium, D and Krill oil.
    Do you ever drink any alcohol right before your period? For me, that equals killer cramps. You might also want to try eliminating dairy for 2 weeks before your period- some people crank out the arachidonic acid production from eating dairy.

You might want to look into Chinese Medicine/acupuncture, too. There are some good Chinese herbal remedies for cramps (usually due to liver stagnation) that might help.
    If nothing helps, you should get checked for endometriosis.
    thanks!... i don't drink alcohol, so that isn't an issue and I eat very little dairy, if any. I will definitely try the magnesium and krill oil... anyone recommend any specific brands for those?

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    I take magnesium and vitamin D but I can't say Primal has done anything I've noticed for my cramps, sorry. I take fish oil but not krill -- what's supposed to be so special about that?

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieProf View Post
    I take magnesium and vitamin D but I can't say Primal has done anything I've noticed for my cramps, sorry. I take fish oil but not krill -- what's supposed to be so special about that?
    see above links. oh, and you might not be taking enough mg. sometimes I'll need 1000 mg (divided doses) on days that are attempting to be bad cramp days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast