Thread: Where do you find suet? page

sapphire_chan is offline Senior Member

Where do you find suet?

Shop Now
    Lard is sold in tubs at the grocery store, but suet seems to be a mystical entity. Can't save the fat from cooking meat because I eat it. People talk about cooking with animal fat, but how do you get it?

(And yeah, I don't keep total kosher by any stretch, but cooking things in pig fat hits too many guilt buttons for me to really enjoy eating a meal like that.)

loneviking is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
    Lard is sold in tubs at the grocery store, but suet seems to be a mystical entity. Can't save the fat from cooking meat because I eat it. People talk about cooking with animal fat, but how do you get it?

(And yeah, I don't keep total kosher by any stretch, but cooking things in pig fat hits too many guilt buttons for me to really enjoy eating a meal like that.)
    Beef suet can be found at any of the full service butcher shops. Just ask for it! There's lots of stuff that often has to be asked for as there is only so much shelf space, and that limited space has to be used for things that most folks like to buy.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Slanker's sells it for about $3 a lb. but then there is shipping. I think US Wellness Meat sells already rendered tallow, but not sure of the price. As far as the tubs of lard at the supermarket, stay away from them. They're hydrogenated(i think it extrends the shelf life). I like to get a bunch of bacon and bake it all in the oven. I then fill a mason jar with all the fat.

Thanks for the sources!

And I'm making note that you need the really big pieces of meat to get a lot of extra fat.

Man, I need to get to a good steakhouse so I can try to get over disliking the texture of most cuts of meat. I tend to stick to ground beef for that reason.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    If it's a texture thing for you try experimenting with lots of different cuts and ways of cooking. Meat cooked for 10 hours in a slow cooker is totally different than meat on the grill. I'm sure you find something...it may just take a little time.

Eatmydust is offline Senior Member
    There is a big differents between suet and lard.... lard is fat melted down and suet it fat around the kidneys and it melts very easy
    that is what we put in elk and deer burger... beef fat dies not melt very easy and is gross in burger...

you can ask any good butcher for suet they have sources most use it..

loneviking is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eatmydust View Post
    There is a big differents between suet and lard.... lard is fat melted down and suet it fat around the kidneys and it melts very easy
    that is what we put in elk and deer burger... beef fat dies not melt very easy and is gross in burger...

you can ask any good butcher for suet they have sources most use it..
    Exactly, suet melts easily and adds moisture. It's good to mix with lean meats that tend to be dry, or to add moisture to a dish that needs some fat.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Ah, suet, reminds me of the happy days spent making mincemeat and mince pies at xmas with my nan. She never would tell me what her secret ingredient was - and she's now taken it with her to the grave...

Hey, it's Halloween! Maybe I can hold a seance. Anyone got a ouija board...?!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

So, found the answer, you just have to cook more meat at a time. Which has the added bonus of pre-cooked meat in the fridge ready to go.