Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do any of the ladies here have PCOS/hormonal issues? page

Christina* is offline Senior Member

Do any of the ladies here have PCOS/hormonal issues?

Primal Fuel
    Do any of the ladies here have PCOS/hormonal issues? If so, has primal eating allowed you to get to your desired bodyweight or have you still had difficulty? Are you taking any medications? TIA

scubasam is offline Senior Member
    I have PCOS, IR and Hashimotos which has caused a myriad of other endocrine issues. I haven't been following PB strictly enough to see any weight loss, but recently saw a new doc who has me a lot of supplements and I am starting to feel better and hope to start seeing weight loss soon.

PM me if you have any questions.

Best of luck!

BethanyK is offline Senior Member
    I have PCOS, but I've only been primal for about 2 months. This summer my hormones were horribly screwed up after complications following a miscarriage. I ended up gaining weight, and when I started PB it was sort of a last ditch effort to at least stop gaining, it was like all of the PCOS symptoms had been quiet for a long time, and then they were triggered and my hormones were just completely all over the place. I'm happy to report that not only have I stopped the gain, but I've lost a little weight too. Some of the other problems seem to be calming down too. I stopped taking BCP and an anti-depressant against the last doctor's advice, about a month prior to starting PB. I've taken Metformin in the past for PCOS, but the last doctor doesn't believe its helpful (there are a couple of reasons she is "the last" doctor and not my current doctor). When I've taken Metformin before, I was advised to follow a low carb, low fat diet at the same time. (I've moved a number of times which explains the multiple doctors.)

I'm hoping to continue the trend of weight loss I've been experiencing. I don't think 2 months is enough time for everything to resolve but I am encouraged by the progress I've made in weight loss. Plus my skin is clearing up, and my cycle seems to be changing too. I feel really positive about these changes and they are probably enough that even if I didn't lose as much weight as I'd like, I'd still be happy.

muaythaiNEZ:) is offline Junior Member
    Hi
    Well done Christina for clearing up your skin and loosing weight!! You should be proud

I have PCOS but am on other end of spectrum- DO NOT need to loose weight just need to regulate hormones and start menstruating! Not on meds perse....taking a female specific multi vit and chaste tree vitamin d and awaiting my hormone panel results.

Lost weight (5'7, 60kg) which stopped my cyle and now using bit of PB and reducing stress i am determined to get em back!!

Re PB....i follow most of it, but i must say i do eat rice once or twice a week (dont know of i count this as my 20% lol). I have recently begun to think that some PCOS sufferers should not get bogged down on carbs and numbers and quantity. Sustained VLC eating doesnt produce the most favourable long term outcomes so dont over stress the carb issue. If you are primal you may naturally eat lower carbs in general so dont worry about this too much.

I would be cautious on IF...as ive heard its not great for people like us with screwed hormones lol!

Any one got any stories about how they got their cycle back? Need inspiration ....

Nez x

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muaythaiNEZ:) View Post
    Hi
    I have recently begun to think that some PCOS sufferers should not get bogged down on carbs and numbers and quantity. Sustained VLC eating doesnt produce the most favourable long term outcomes so dont over stress the carb issue. If you are primal you may naturally eat lower carbs in general so dont worry about this too much.
    If you have PCOS but not are not insulin resistance and are of normal body weight, chances are you don't have to worry about carbs at all. I'm a lean(ish)woman (5'4", 133lbs) and I'm not insulin resistant but I do have PCOS - cystic ovaries, 2.5:1 ratio between my LH and FSH, absent cycles and coarse facial hair on chin (lucky me lol).

I've looked at alot of studies about PCOS in trying to figure out if there is a dietary approach that stimulates menstruation and hormonal balance in thin non insulin resistant PCOS women. In my research, I found a study of PCOS and the many different ways in which it manifests in women. Normal BMI women with PCOS usually don't have insulin resistance and the cysts on their ovaries and lack of menstruation are due to an imbalance between LH and FSH. Women with a BMI higher than normal generally do have insulin resistance but don't have the LH FSH imbalance.
    Here's a link to that study:http://www.advms.pl/roczniki_2003/vo...3.pdf#page=131
    It's a really interesting read, I think.

All that being said, for women with insulin resistance and a high BMI, weight loss and a nutrition lower in carbohydrates seems to be helpful - along with exercise.
    For women who are of normal weight without insulin resistance it seems to be more about de stressing and decreasing inflammation.

In the past, I followed Weight Watchers (low fat, high carb, high fiber, moderate protein) for three months to lose some weight and was able to restore my period and get pregnant.

I would be cautious on IF...as ive heard its not great for people like us with screwed hormones lol!
    I've heard this too. Something about the "stress" of the fast not being "good" for those who are already prone to the negative effects of stress on the body. That being sad, I've been IF'ing for that last year. But I also lost my cycle before I started IF'ing.

Also, if you need to destress, a low carb diet isn't beneficial. In fact, dieting of any sort isn't really beneficial, especially if you are of normal weight. You want carbs and fats. I'm not advocating eating sugar and simple carbs, but some health professionals do. Personally I prefer unprocessed whole sources of carbs like sweet potatoes, potatoes, squashes, rice, and starchy veggies(corn, peas, etc.)

I'm working my way through the murky waters of PCOS. It is definitely not a "easy" thing to be diagnosed with as it's manifestation and therefore treating it is so variable from woman to woman.

momofredheads is offline Senior Member
    NDF that is interesting about that study you posted. I find that I am overweight and have an imbalance with my LH/FSH as well. I have the cysts, I have the course facial hair, I am IR. So I would be an exception to that study.

To the OP, I have been primal for almost 6 weeks now. 3 weeks in I got my cycle. I haven't had it on my own at that point in over a year. I had a couple of cycles over the summer from provera and chlomid, this was my first cycle that came on its own without meds. I have lost about 15lbs in the first 5 weeks. This week I have had no weight loss. The facial hair has slowed down, but still present. I am losing a lot of belly fat. I feel more balanced but then haven't had any blood tests to see any other results. I am due for my annual pap so maybe when I am there I could have him give me a script for blood work too, I would be interested to see what has changed. I also think as time goes on I will see more improvement. Since June of this year I have lost a total of 27lbs so it could be that I hit that 10% mark and my body kicked in with a cycle. My obgyn says that losing 10% of your weight will balance out the hormones again and help with the cycle returning. I don't know how much you need to lose or if you need to lose, this has been my experience so far.

Oh and I also wanted to add that I really am 80/20 primal. I have cut out everything that would spike the insulin, no rice, wheats. I have had 2 cheats in the 6 weeks so far, one was a brownie that made me extremely ill and the other was just recent like 2 days ago and yesterday where I buckled to the halloween candy. I have otherwise been hardcore with eating primal, just because of the PCOS. We so desperately want a 3rd child and it has been so discouraging with the meds not working. Our first child was a chlomid baby, the 2nd was a surprise and no meds, my 2nd is now 4 and I was hoping to have been preggo already but it isn't happening. We have never used birth control because I don't like the side effects, the only positive to BC was regular cycles.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

muaythaiNEZ:) is offline Junior Member
    NDF thanks for a great post! You are pretty much in my boat with the non-insulin related issues lol

Article was very interesting thanx. I agree very much with you on the de-stressing front for PCOS people like you and I rather than fussing about carbs.

Do you know what triggered your cycle to start and stop? I ask because I dont know of many people with PCOS and im intruiged and i am so determined to get my cycle back!! I know the rapid weight loss (through too much exc and not enough food in) messed me up undoubtebly!

I feel the same about working my way through...its tough...but nice to hear other peoples stories and take on it.

Primallady is offline Senior Member
    I suspect I had PCOS many years ago even though I was thin and didn't have facial hair. I did have one hair that used to show up on my nipple though. I didn't ovulate and as a teen I was put on meds to make me just have a cycle. As a newly married early 20's - I was charting my temps and discovered I didn't ovulate. I used fertility meds for 9 months to no avail (Clomid). Then I changed my diet from a grain based vegan one to one with grass fed meat and game meat (back then there was only one source in CT called Brae Beef). I continued to eat grain in smaller amounts- it was always whole grain (yuck) but I wasn't eating gluten or sugar of any kind and my hormones became balanced (I should say I also used Chinese medicine). I got pregnant with my first 2 (twins) and then had 3 more after I really had tweaked my diet and cut out all grain completely. I found I do best on a more paleo diet with no dairy even though this past month I ate Greek yogurt and some GF grains in bakes goods I was making for my kids . Exercise is very important as well of course. I'm 44 now and I guess my hormones are doing pretty well as I am expecting another baby in July (husband's first ).

momofredheads is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primallady View Post
    I suspect I had PCOS many years ago even though I was thin and didn't have facial hair. I did have one hair that used to show up on my nipple though. I didn't ovulate and as a teen I was put on meds to make me just have a cycle. As a newly married early 20's - I was charting my temps and discovered I didn't ovulate. I used fertility meds for 9 months to no avail (Clomid). Then I changed my diet from a grain based vegan one to one with grass fed meat and game meat (back then there was only one source in CT called Brae Beef). I continued to eat grain in smaller amounts- it was always whole grain (yuck) but I wasn't eating gluten or sugar of any kind and my hormones became balanced (I should say I also used Chinese medicine). I got pregnant with my first 2 (twins) and then had 3 more after I really had tweaked my diet and cut out all grain completely. I found I do best on a more paleo diet with no dairy even though this past month I ate Greek yogurt and some GF grains in bakes goods I was making for my kids . Exercise is very important as well of course. I'm 44 now and I guess my hormones are doing pretty well as I am expecting another baby in July (husband's first ).
    Primallady you are my hero <3 seriously, you have given me hope knowing that just changing your diet could help ovulation. I don't ovulate either I have known I was PCOS since I was 17 and I am now 37 so 20 years a lot of info is coming out every year about PCOS but there is nothing like real life testimony. I know I do ovulate on occasion, but catching the sucker is hit or miss literally. I tried charting...but like you realized that it didn't work so well. I have 2 children, my 2nd child was the one that surprised us after having been told most of my life that I wouldn't be able to have any children without the help of modern science. I haven't ate clean at all most of my life so I am hoping it begins to turn around with PB. Like I said earlier I am seeing great results just 6 weeks in and I am hoping that a lifetime of this eating would be even better results. Congrats on the baby!! I can't wait to have another little one in this house, if it were up to me I would have had 5 or 6 by now, but this is where I am at and I have to learn to be patient and accept my lot for now.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Interesting thread, I am currently in the process of trying to figure out some issues that might be PCOS, or maybe just thyroid, adrenal, or who knows (waiting for doc to call me back on labs from a week ago, so working to get a diagnosis).

I am curious, has anyone done any experimentation with Omega balancing to improve your cycles and symptoms? I am starting to think I might have triggered an even greater imbalance and it might be the cause of me getting worse rather then better while exclusively primal.

If you have a sec and want to offer ideas/research, here was my situation:

I have been gluten free for over 4 yrs, low carb and fairly natural eating as well due to a list of problems (fatigue, chronic pain, digestive issues...etc). I found primal 7 months ago and dropped all remaining grains and sugars, I am probably 98% primal. I don't do a ton of dairy but it is still in there. I have always had irregular long cycles, endo symptoms (really heavy painful monthlies), I am now 35 and this has been a constant for 15 years (my mother and grandmother both had it bad). When I started eating less grains and more healthy ALL my health improved EXCEPT my monthlies. They stopped getting worse each year, but my cycles are still long and painful. I have been off BCP for probably 6 or 7 years.

About 3 months into sticking to primal my energy was through the roof, so I started doing crossfit, hiking, climbing....I was having a blast. But I suddenly gained like 10lbs on my petite body in 6 weeks (not all muscle), lost the energy, started getting cramps and spotting through my whole cycle, and my skin and hair has gone the wrong direction. My abdomen is actually slightly painful through my whole cycle which is not normal. Weight wise I usually always maintained at 110 lbs (I am only 5 foot tall), it was my baseline. Shooting up to 121 was VERY uncharacteristic for me.

So a bit over 2 months ago I cut back on my exercise A LOT, stopped fasting, started taking an iodine supplement just in case, and dropped caffeine in case it was adrenals. I have dropped about 4-5lbs of that extra weight, but my cycles are still a mess and the cramps mid cycle are just getting worse.

While I take some fish oil, I do not take a lot. Starting to think that maybe all those steaks, beef, bacon, etc is adding up on the Omega 6 front and maybe I need to increase my 3's more....and maybe THAT is why I have not seen improvement in the cycles and skin and such while low carb. Anyone have thoughts or experience with that?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast