Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - svelting page 2

svelting is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Friday Nov. 5
    B -- 2 eggs + egg whites (almost gone) + cream, cooked in coconut oil, coffee + cream, 1/2 avocado
    snack:coffee with cream, almonds
    Lunch: big salad (romaine, onion, pickles) with salmon, 1/2 avocado, EVOO dressing
    work beer social: some chicken wings and veg (cheese, onion, peppers, mushrooms) pizza toppings from 2 slices
    D: barbecue pulled pork and coleslaw, one piece of bread whose only value was as a conveyance for the garlic butter

≈ 1650 calories & 55% fat!
    I'm feeling rather full 2.5 hours after dinner, so I probably could have stopped eating sooner. I used to love the bread at this little smokery, now it occurs as a complete waste of palate capacity!

Edit: bread=farting! Haven't had that gassiness since going off grains 4 months ago.
    Last edited by svelting; 11-06-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Sat Nov. 6
    B: protein shake on the run. Um, tasteless! (now relegated to the "only in case of extreme emergency" cupboard)
    S: full fat greek yogurt, mixed berries, some macadamia nut butter, dark chocolate
    L: some leftover BBQ pulled pork, half pint of Guinness
    D: eggs & bacon, kale salad with walnuts.

Notes:
    Little tired today; stayed up last night reading a really engaging PB journal.
    It took me a while to find greek yogurt. It's not a common item where I usually shop. Now having found it and consumed some, I understand why people rave about it. I can't envision going back to the watery versions except under duress.
    Last edited by svelting; 11-08-2010 at 06:34 PM. Reason: forgot my half of Guinness

Sun. Nov. 7 clocks change

B: greek yogurt, mixed berries, walnuts, chocolate, coffee and cream (meal's fat content = 70% of calories)
    L: finished the pulled pork, a little bit of brisket, 2 slices of bacon, pickles
    D: romaine, chicken, walnuts, olive oil, balsamic vinegar
    S: almond butter "cut" with coconut oil

Apparently my adjustment to higher fat is, um, complete. What seemed so difficult a week ago, now seems so delicious.

I probably need more veggies.
    Last edited by svelting; 11-08-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Mon. Nov. 8
    B: 2 eggs + whites + cream, berries + dollop of yogurt, coffee + whipping cream
    L: romaine, radicchio, green pepper, cucumber, avocado, baked chicken breast, walnuts, EVOO + white wine vinegar
    D: grass-fed beef stew (rutabaga, onion, garlic, mushrooms), stewed in wine and beef broth, cream once in the bowl -- yummy, some red wine and about 10 g of dark chocolate

Up this morning before 5, prepped the stew ingredients and the crockpot was brewing by 5:40. My energy was really consistent throughout the day -- could it be that I'm in ketosis again? I love that I'm waking up early, having even energy and a good mood throughout the day, and am appropriately tired at night.

Tuesday Nov. 9
    B: 2 eggs + HWC+ zucchini sauté (coconut oil/ghee combo), mixed berries + dollop of greek yogurt, coffee + HWC
    L: romaine, radicchio, green pepper, cucumber, avocado, baked chicken breast, walnuts, almonds EVOO + white wine vinegar
    D: grass-fed beef stew (rutabaga, onion, garlic, mushrooms), stewed in wine and beef broth, cream once in the bowl -- yummy, some red wine and about 10 g of dark chocolate
    S: macadamia nut butter and some coconut oil to get my calories and fats up for the day
    Supplements: multi-vitamins, multi-mineral, magnesium, D3, K2, fish oil (DHA>EPA), B complex

I'm feeling so good eating this way. I'm not sure what it is specifically because I made several changes at the same time: increased fat, increased real food, increased magnesium, decreased calcium, added K2. I could have done OFAT (one factor at a time) so I'd know. I'm glad I didn't.

Checked out a functional fitness gym. The methods and environment intrigued me. My greatest opportunity to improve is in lunges and push-ups -- I needed a stick to support myself up to keep balanced on a narrow surface, and didn't get even my face off the mat in my push-up attempts.

Wed. Nov. 10
    B: 2 eggs fried in CO/ghee, kale sauté in CO/ghee, peppercorn goat cheese, coffee + HWC
    S: almonds and avocado
    L: salad with tuna, EVOO
    D: wasn't hungry ??
    S: greek yogurt, macadamia nut butter,coconut oil

Another dental appointment -- filling and cap placement, so some freezing. I wonder how that will affect me, if at all. Minor freezing. I'm concerned about something I'm feeling when I chew, an exposed nerve or something, I'm hoping it goes away over the next day or so.

Stayed up too late fiddling on the internet.
    Last edited by svelting; 11-11-2010 at 03:07 AM.

Thurs. Nov. 11
    B: 2 eggs + whipping cream scrambled in ghee/coconut oil, broccoli, goat cheese, 2 x (coffee + HWC)
    S: almonds and coffee + half-and-half
    L: chicken caesar salad
    D: this week's stew + a bit of cream, baby bok choy + onion sauté (butter), 85% chocolate

got to bed earlier, before 10, and read til I had to put the book down

Walked halfway from work to subway mostly uphill. It felt good and I want/need to work in regular "Move slowly."

Fri Nov 12
    B: 1 egg + table cream, zucchini-butter sauté, 2 x (coffee + HWC), almonds,
    > one coffee only -- no cream. or
    L: lettuce, radicchio, chicken drumstick, walnuts, balsamic/EVOO dressing
    S: almonds (because they were there, not because I was hungry) :meh:
    D: last of the stew, some table cream,

Challenge today: only one coffee at work before lunch. The appeal of it for me is getting up to do something, and the cream helps bridge the time from breakfast to lunch. I'll just have more at breakfast going forward.

After having read about others' experiences and successes with intermittent fasting, I find myself thinking "oh I could just skip that meal and call it an IF." Oy! Let's just focus on the change in what and how much I eat, then get some move slowly and lift heavy things in there. I will not try IF until the spring (at least) I think.
    Last edited by svelting; 11-12-2010 at 04:32 PM.

Sat. Nov. 13 beautiful day, not so primal
    B: coffee + cream
    morning grazing ... protein drink (still bleck), lara coconut bar (testing for days of travel later this month), 2 other bars (also testing, also bleck)
    afternoon grazing ... almonds and lettuce
    D: BBQ pulled pork, a piece of bread, cucumber + tomato salad, coleslaw, glass of wine, 4 squares dark chocolate
    need to prep a quick, easy and primal breakfast to go for Saturdays. I could do berries and full fat yogurt, or you know just not pay attention to the thoughts, "Well I didn't have breakfast, so I can have ..." and pay attention to hunger's presence or absence <sigh>

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sunday Nov. 14
    B: coffee + cream, berries and greek yogurt, almonds, 6 sq. chocolate
    L: leftover pulled pork, cole slaw (dressing drained)
    D: lamb chops, tzatziki, baked sweet potato + onion, salad, 2-3 g red wine, 3 sq chocolate

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast