Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2nd degree burns on face, chest and arm.....from butter page

cillakat is offline Senior Member

2nd degree burns on face, chest and arm.....from butter

Primal Fuel
    First: I am okay. Now anyway.

Last night, I decided to make my favorite salmon - garlic, thyme, creole seasoning on salmon....lots of butter, pan-fry the salmon. Well, I guess i was a little careless with my method of placing the salmon in the hot buttery pan. While I set one side of it in, I kind of let the edge towards me (bad idea) drop too hard....molten butter splashed up the sloped side of the 10" all-clad fry pan - on a trajectory straight for my face.

The first (and hottest) splashes hit my forhead, then brow bones, eyelids, nose, lip, chin, neck/chest and left arm. I could feel it sizzle :/

Last time I was badly burned (from a grande americano - black...no cream/milk to cool it) it was really scary. I was shocky, dizzy, hyperventilating, felt like I was going to faint..... so I was scared of that and was home alone with one of the kids. However, I was able to cope suprisingly well. Rinsed everything with cool water and just kept using all of the pain coping techniques learned 12 years ago when pregnant with the first. It's funny how those really are helpful in so many situations when it's necessary to stay calm and in control.

After I rinsed it for as long as my cold hands could stand it, I slathered it with raw honey (better burn tx than silver sulfadiazine) and would hold a cool cloth over the areas in rotation. Took 400 mg motrin. 30 mg zinc. A bunch of proteolytic enzymes. 50,000 IU vitamin A . Some antioxidants (grapeseed, time release C).

Imagine if Italy and Greece were one land mass stretching across the mediterranean all the way to Cairo. (see this map) That's what the burn looks like diagonally across my forehead. And all blistery too. Then there are splatters on both eyelids, my right brow bone, the space between my right eyebrow and hairline, my nose, top right lip, a couple of tiny spots on my cheek, one on my neck (nickel sized), two cigarette sized burns on my chest, two dime sized adjoining burns on my left forearm. And tons of splatter on my shirt (which of course is a loss - but that's okay!!)

Because the facial burns were much more painful, I gave them much much more attention (cool compresses and frequent raw honey applications) - so they actually look the most improved. The arm and chest burns weren't quite as painful (though they were still painful!) and didn't get as much cool water time and look quite bad today.

Stupidly, last night, I peeled off the huge blister (I am such a 'picker') on the top left part of my forhead - it's about the size of a silver dollar....so that was nice and gross looking this am. In spite of frequent applications of 50/50 raw honey and aquaphor, it's still formed a new blister where I peeled off last night's - but I guess that's better than a scab. Looking at it now, I can see the honey doing what it does - keeping it moist while simultaneously dissolving dead skin.

Burns always hurt. The new thing this time was that the honey didn't take away the pain....usually it does for me - even over some pretty large areas. Not this time. Two hours after the incident (and 2h after 400 mg motrin) I was still in a lot of pain. Called my brother and asked for his thoughts. He didn't think it unreasonable to go into the ER. I was glad to hear that b/c I was going to head in. In an effort to avoid the ER wait and the $150 copay, I took another 400 mg motrin and that did eventually give me some relief.

Slept with my face/neck/arm dotted with raw honey...messy, uncomfortable... and I still woke up in the middle of the night for more motrin. Even today while I was out and about, I could feel the burning sensation returning and I had to layer on some more honey/aquaphor mix.

Now 25h post-incident I can see pretty clearly that this is the worst burn I've ever had by a significant margin but it's much better than it could have been. The honey helps. The good nutrition helps. I use retinoids every day and interestingly that's been shown to improve wound healing time. They're also often used by derms as a 'pre-treatment' for mid-depth peels (think TCA 18%-25%, LA 75-100% etc) b/c of the improved wound healing speed. And now that I think of it, peels are nothing more than 'controlled' burns. Anyhoo....

At least the salmon was tasty!
    Last edited by cillakat; 10-30-2010 at 04:16 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Poor Cilla!!!! I'm SOOOOOO sorry. Get better soon!
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Oh. Shit! Hope it heals very quickly! That kind of burn is extremely painful - I speak from experience myself.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Evita is offline Senior Member
    Oh boy! You're one hot mess in the kitchen! Prayers for a swift recovery. I guess its one of your new primal battle scars ha! Thanks for the heads up on honey and such for burns..I manage to singe myself up far too much

localad is offline Senior Member
    Lavendar oil, applied topically. It really works on skin burns!!
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Yikes!
    I'm glad you are OK.

At least the salmon was tasty!
    You were able to finish the salmon while caring for your burn? You're amazing.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Hoping you heal quickly...do watch out for infection in the burns. The antibacterial properties of the honey should be helpful in preventing infection, but be wary, nonetheless.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    using all of the pain coping techniques learned 12 years ago when pregnant with the first. It's funny how those really are helpful in so many situations when it's necessary to stay calm and in control.
    I honestly think a lot of those are more useful after giving birth than during (though I do not have first-hand knowledge of giving birth, I have used similar breathing techniques to calm myself). not panicking in front of the kids is often half the battle.

if you have a good GP with a more reasonable copay, I'd go check in just to be sure things are healing the way they should and see if you can get a stronger or topical pain killer for those really bad moments. (ymmv, I'm a cautious one)

also, FEEL BETTER!

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    pictures!
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast