Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2nd degree burns on face, chest and arm.....from butter page 2

batty is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    good lord, woman. see, now you gotta come to ohio so we can compare cooking battle scars here's to healing!

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

bUMbLeB is offline Senior Member
    I rank this as among the "occupational hazards" of going primal - I've burned myself more than once, most recently last week when casserole-juice leapt out of the dish and up my hand. I did blister, but it's nothing compared to what you described! Hope you're doing well, and if it's any consolation, my burns healed without leaving any mark, and I'm going to opine that it's due to our superior diet, so you will too.

Still, ouch!

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bUMbLeB View Post
    I rank this as among the "occupational hazards" of going primal
    I've grabbed the handle of a 450 degree pan more than once...ouch!

Also, just about all my shirts now have grease stains.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

BethanyK is offline Senior Member
    Ouch! I hope you feel better soon!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Update:
    My prediction was that there would be no visible signs left of the burn by 48h post incident as that has been my experience with 2nd degree burns and when using raw honey as a tx.

We're at about 41h right now and it's pretty clear that while much of it is gone - not all of it will be by 48h.

-arm and chest burns show the most post inflammatory hyperpigmentation - probably b/c they didn't get as much attention with cold water
    - forehead redness is all gone, with the exception of the one spot where I stupidly peeled the blister. It occasionally returns when the honey is fully absorbed but simply applying more relieves any redness or burning.
    -tiny, tic tac sized blister on one eyebrow and between my eyebrow and hairline
    -tiny darkly pigmented spot (size of a small lentil) on my left cheek....I guess I missed that spot with early cold water and honey tx. it doesn't hurt though and over time it should go away with careful sunscreen use and daily rx retinoids.
    -tiny spot on my left hand.... larger but very mild spot on my right hand.

Lila tried to take pics but even with all the lights on, the iphone camera wasn't capturing very well. I can't find the charger for my phone battery. Maybe I'll see if Marc can bring his camera home from the office. There isn't as much to see now but...

Anyhoo, the lessons learned:

-place food in the hot oily pan using long tongs

-always have on hand:
    1)any raw honey (doesn't need to be expensive manuka honey)
    2)also worth having on hand:n Honey Gardens, Honey House Propolis Salve, .85 oz (24 g) $5.92
    it's not as sticky/shiny as plain raw honey. Easier when you're out and about b/c it doesn't stick to everything.
    3)gauze and appropriate first aid tape... use only after the burn has cooled. handy to keep the honey treatments in place
    4)vitamin A (or just eat some liver) and zinc (improve wound healing )
    5) if applied early and often (after soaking burn in cold - never ice cold - water), you'll feel 'take the sting' out of the burn and see it reduce the redness. When the pain or redness starts to return, apply more honey/salve.
    6)avoid topical use of butter and topical E oil - they are not appropriate burn treatments. the evidence (while not well done) is much better for honey than it is for aloe vera.

Interesting reading regarding burns:
    http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetCo...chunkiid=21445

All of the honey evidence comes from one group in India (see below). The cite immediately following will be the first honey/burn article published outside of that group:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.proxy.li...es/PMC2845359/

Evidence for regarding honey and burns:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...9&searchtype=a

A prospective randomised clinical and histological study of superficial burn wound healing with honey and silver sulfadiazine
    M. Subrahmanyam
    Department of Surgery, Dr Vaishampayan Memorial Medical College, Solapur 413 003, Maharashtra, India
    Abstract

Histological and clinical studies of wound healing have been made on comparable fresh partial thickness burns with honey dressing or silver sulfadiazine (SSD) in two groups of 25 randomly allocated patients. Of the wounds trea
    ed with honey 84 per cent showed satisfactory epithelialization by the 7th day, and in 100 per cent of the patients by the 21st day. In wounds treated with silver sulfadiazine, epithelialization occurred by the 7th day in 72 per cent of the patients and in 84 per cent of patients by 21 days. Histological evidence of reparative activity was seen in 80 per cent of wounds treated with the honey dressing by the 7th day with minimal inflammation. Fifty two per cent of the silver sulfadiazine treated wounds showed reparative activity with inflammatory changes by the 7th day. Reparative activity reached 100 per cent by 21 days with the honey dressing and 84 per cent with SSD. Thus in honey dressed wounds, early subsidence of acute inflammatory changes, better control of infection and quicker wound healing was observed while in the SSD treated wounds sustained inflammatory reaction was noted even on epithelialization.
    http://www.medbc.com/annals/review/v...ol14n3p143.asp (full article at link)
    EFFECTS OF TOPICAL APPLICATION OF HONEY ON BURN WOUND HEALING
    Subrahmanyam M.,1 Sahapure A.G.,1 Nagane N.S.,2 Bhagwat V.R.,2 Ganu J.V.2
    São José Hospital, Lisbon, Portugal
    1 Department of Surgery, Government Medical College, Miraj and General Hospital, Sangli, Maharashtra, India
    2 Department of Biochemistry, Government Medical College

SUMMARY. In this prospective trial 100 burn patients were randomized in two equal groups to be treated either with honey dressing or with silver sulphadiazine gauze dressing. In the honey-treated group, wounds healed earlier (mean, 15.4 days versus 17.2 days). Serum lipid peroxide levels were raised in the immediate post-burn period in both groups. However, by days 7 and 14 there was a significant reduction in malon dialdehyde values that was more significant in the honey-treated group. Bacterial cultures revealed that 90% were rendered sterile in the honey-treated group, whereas in the silver-sulphadiazine-treated group there was persistent infection. Honey, by its anti-oxidant effect, presumably helped to limit lipid peroxidation and contributed to the rapid healing of the wounds, apart from its other known beneficial effects.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/bjs.1800780435/abstract
    Topical application of honey in treatment of burns
    Dr M. Subrahmanyam
    Article first published online: 8 DEC 2005
    DOI: 10.1002/bjs.1800780435
    A total of 104 cases of superficial burn injury were studied to assess the efficiency of honey as a dressing in comparison with silver sulfadiazine gauze dressing. In the 52 patients treated with honey, 91 per cent of wounds were rendered sterile within 7 days. In the 52 patients treated with silver sulfadiazine, 7 per cent showed control of infection within 7 days. Healthy granulation tissue was observed earlier in patients treated with honey (mean 7·4 versus 13·4 days). Of the wounds treated with honey 87 per cent healed within 15 days as against 10 per cent in the control group. Relief of pain, a lower incidence of hypertrophic scar and postburn contracture, low cost and easy availability make honey an ideal dressing in the treatment of burns.
    Last edited by cillakat; 03-05-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: updated sources/citations

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    and the rest of the post (had to break it up into two posts:

For more significant burns, skin grafting wins out over treating with honey... that shouldn't come as a suprise
    Early tangential excision and skin grafting of moderate burns is superior to honey dressing: a prospective randomised trial
    M SubrahmanyamAccepted 4 May 1999.
    Abstract

Methods: In this prospective trial, 50 burn patients were randomised to be treated either with early tangential excision and skin grafting or by the application of honey dressings, with delayed skin grafting as necessary. The 25 patients in the tangential excision (TE) group had burns of 23±4%, 12% of which was full thickness. The honey treated patients (HT), (N=25), had burns of 24±4%, 13% of which was full thickness. Seventeen of the TE patients were operated upon on day 3, the remainder before day 6 post burn. Eleven of the HT patients eventually required skin grafting. Cosmetic and functional results were assessed at 3 months post discharge.

Results: In the TE group, the skin grafting take rate was 99±3%. In the HT group, the graft take rate was 74±18% (P<0.01). The mean percentage of blood volume replaced was 35±12% in TE patients vs. 21±15% in HT patients (P<0.01). Only one TE patient died due to status asthmaticus, while there were 3 deaths, all from sepsis, in the HT patients. At 3 month follow-up, 92% of the TE patients had good to excellent functional and cosmetic results vs. 55% in HT patients, 3 of whom had significant contractures.
    Conclusion: Early tangential excision and skin grafting was clearly superior to expectant treatment using topical honey in patients with moderate burns in this randomised, prospective study performed at a General Hospital in the Indian subcontinent. The availability of suitable allogenic blood is a potential problem when TE is employed.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/qh855q55512k1263/
    from the journal Infection

The antimicrobial spectrum of honey and its clinical significance

S. E. E. Efem and C. I. Iwara

Abstract

The antimicrobial spectrum of honey was investigated by placing two drops into each of the wells made on culture media on which pure cultures of various organisms obtained from surgical specimens were grown. The organisms were grown under both aerobic and anaerobic environments. Fungal cultures of common fungi causing surgical infections or wound contaminations were mixed with 100%, 50% and 20% unprocessed honey. Growth inhibition was complete in the media containing 100%, partial in media containing 50% and no inhibition was produced by 20% honey. Unprocessed honey inhibited most of the fungi and bacteria causing wound infection and surgical infection exceptPseudomonas aeruginosa andClostridium oedematiens. Apart fromStreptococcus pyogenes which is only moderately inhibited, golden syrup, a sugar syrup with similar physical properties as honey, did not inhibit any of the bacteria or fungi tested, demonstrating that honey is superior to any hypertonic sugar solution in antimicrobial activity. Honey is thus an ideal topical wound dressing agent in surgical infections, burns and wound infections.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19648986
    N Z Med J. 2009 May 22;122(1295):47-60.
    Honey in the treatment of burns: a systematic review and meta-analysis of its efficacy.

Wijesinghe M, Weatherall M, Perrin K, Beasley R.
    Medical Research Institute of New Zealand (MRINZ), Wellington 6143, New Zealand.
    Abstract

AIM: To determine the efficacy of honey in burn wound management.
    METHODS: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials which compared the efficacy of honey with a comparator dressing treatment in the management of burns. The main outcome measure was the proportion of subjects with wounds healed at 15 days.
    RESULTS: Eight studies with 624 subjects were included in the meta-analysis. The quality of the studies was poor with each study having a Jadad score of 1. Six studies were undertaken by the same investigator. In most studies unprocessed honey covered by sterile gauze was compared with silver sulphadiazine-impregnated gauze. The fixed effects odds ratio for healing at 15 days was 6.1 (95% CI 3.7 to 9.9) in favour of honey having a superior effect. The random effects pooled odds ratio was 6.7 (95% CI 2.8 to 15.8) in favour of honey treatment. The secondary outcome variables all showed significantly greater efficacy for honey treatment.
    CONCLUSION: Available evidence indicates markedly greater efficacy of honey compared with alternative dressing treatments for superficial or partial thickness burns, although the limitations of the studies included in the meta-analysis restrict the clinical application of these findings. Further studies are urgently required to determine the role of honey in the management of superficial or partial thickness burns.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18843629

AUTHORS' CONCLUSIONS: There is a paucity of high quality RCTs on dressings for superficial and partial thickness burn injury. The studies summarised in this review evaluated a variety of interventions, comparators and clinical endpoints. Despite some potentially positive findings, the evidence, which largely derives from trials with methodological shortcomings, is of limited usefulness in aiding clinicians in choosing suitable treatments.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Ow. Poor you. Nothing sucks more than burns on the face. When I was a teen, I had a chicken fryer bubble up on me at work, and ended up with a lovely large burn on my chin, it went from my bottom lip to my chin. I also got a mark on my arm. I still have a lovely white patch on my arm, not a scar, just an absence of freckles.

Organic shea butter is also another great thing to have on hand, it speeds healing and reduces scaring.

redtoycar is offline Member
    Don't mess with the blisters! I have skin that keloids very easily, and I had a very large burn on my forearm a couple years ago from boiling water. I dressed it and ignored it, and the blister eventually drained on its own and then became it's own natural covering for the burn. There is no scar to be found. I'm kind of shocked by that.

If any of the burns on your face are showing any signs of improper healing or infection, please get to a doctor ASAP. I'd hate for the skin on your eyes to be affected permanently.

Good luck. Hope you're feeling better. Sorry this happened, but thanks for posting cause now I"m sure to be more careful in the kitchen!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    oh my goodness!!!!!! hope youre well soon. ouch is all i got.

i fell in a bon fire at college one year, hospital, lots of meds and shots in my butt(? i forget most of this i was wasted and think the pain made me forget???) . anyway i got pnemonia 2 days later(i blame it on all the meds they tried to tret the burns with haha, so more meds on top of meds on top of a mummy-looking girl puking up blood....oh geez it was bad, hallucinations, even my dog barked AT me cuz he sensed i guess i was not well

anyway they gave me a tiny pack of this like 100$ lotion i had to put everywehere, so about 1000$ and a gazillion wraps later all the scars are gone ecept the palm of my han when it gets sun you cn see it in purple.

burns suck haha so i wish you well soon!

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Go, go super Primal healing!

Also... the blink reflex. Isn't it amazing?

Also... who else would get badly burned, treat burns, finish the salmon, and then post a bunch of fascinating links about burn healing?
    (*in awe*)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast