Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruising easily - individual quirk or missing something? page

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

As per the title really!

I've always bruised noticeably - very pale skin shows it up well!

But since going primal I've noticed more and larger bruises so I'm just checking if there is a vitamin/ mineral I should keep an eye on as I'm prone to this?

I'm generally eating red meat, poultry, a little seafood, butter, root veg, trying to increase leafy greens. I also supplement vitamin D and omega 3.

Haven't been eating organ meat apart from trying heart recently.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

AndreaC is offline Member

I have this problem too. Right now I'm looking into iron and magnesium. Both because I noticed in my food tracking I regularly don't hit 100%.

Anyone else have concrete info?

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Interesting...I've also experienced really horrible bruising, but it could have just been because well, my legs got bumped pretty badly! So, hard to say. Have you noticed that they last longer too? The ones I've gotten have lasted probably a week or so, and one even started to look worse, visibily broken blood vessels...Dang jetski...

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I've had this problem my entire life. It's very noticable on my legs, to the point where I never wear skirts or shorts because my legs are always brused up.

I was told that it was lack of potassium but I can never stick with a solid ptassium-taking test to see the difference.

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

if your taking extra fish oil it can thin your blood and cause bruising. also you may want to get your iron checked, when I was brusing a lot I found out I was anemic and I eat a lot of red meat!

also the herb golden seal seems to help me a lot with bruising. if you take aspirin or ibuprofen it can cause bruising as well. if it gets worse have your dr run some labs xoxo Darlene

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Ah thank you I didn't know that about the fish oil.

I'll keep an eye on it and try to do some more digging (research, not exercise lol)

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Digging up an old topic.

I've been breaking blood vessels in my hands pretty frequently over the past few months or so. Tonight one broke on the pad of my thumb as I was pressing down on the spine of my chef's knife. About two or three weeks ago, I broke one on the palmar side of my hand and I've had several others, all in my hands. Any ideas as to what the crap could be causing this? It's pretty annoying.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    I'm an easy bruiser; especially on my shins. My mom is the same way. Blood work (platelet count) showed nothing.

I don't see any difference since going Primal, despite banging myself around pretty good while working out.

Vitamins C, E, K and (mineral) zinc can be taken to see if they help. If you don't eat any fruit at all anymore then you might be needing some C.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

redskater is offline Junior Member
    I've always bruised pretty easily but a couple of months ago it got worse. I was taking fish oil and flaxseed oil. Combined they were thinning my blood out too much. As soon as a stopped the flax oil the excessive bruising stopped. Take a look at your supplements and also what you are eating.

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    As per the title really!

I've always bruised noticeably - very pale skin shows it up well!

But since going primal I've noticed more and larger bruises so I'm just checking if there is a vitamin/ mineral I should keep an eye on as I'm prone to this?

I'm generally eating red meat, poultry, a little seafood, butter, root veg, trying to increase leafy greens. I also supplement vitamin D and omega 3.

Haven't been eating organ meat apart from trying heart recently.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!
    Bruising occurs when the capillaries break causing blood to leak in to the tissues. Capillaries most often break easily due to deficiencies of either vitamin and/or silica. Both of these nutrients are required for the formation of collagen and elastin that help give the blood vessels their strength and elasticity.

The best dietary sources of vitamin C are papaya, kiwis and berries. I prefer natural sources of vitamin as opposed to the synthetic ascorbic acid since natural sources tend to be stronger and more stable. In addition the natural sources also have bioflavonoids present that work synergistically with vitamin C.

Stimulants like caffeine or nicotine, and stress rapidly deplete vitamin C from the body.

As for silica the primary sources are dietary fibers. I also like seaweeds and for herbs nettle leaf, bamboo shavings, couchgrass or butcher's broom. Another great option is using food grade diatomaceous earth DE), which is 80% silica. I add a spoonful to a gallon of water then let it settle out. The water above the settled DE is drunk part way down then the container filled again and allowed to settle out. This process is repeated over and over. Each time more water is added the water dissolves a little of the silica forming orthosilicic acid, which is what the body absorbs and utilizes for collagen, elastin and chondroitin formation in the body.

If vitamin C and silica do not help reduce your bruising then you should have things checked out since there are some serious conditions that can also lead to easy bruising.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast