Thread: What to do after the elimination diet? page

Adrianag is offline Senior Member

What to do after the elimination diet?

I know a number of us have started a Whole30 program, maybe more restrictive than the semi-primal diet you've been following (eliminating dairy, alcohol and artificial sweeteners, for example) and some of us have eliminated certain foods which may be contributing to inflammation. In my case the inflammation is arthritis and I have eliminated dairy, alcohol, artificial sweeteners and nightshades (tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, potatoes.)

I realized that Robb Wolf's book, which inspired the elimination diet, did not go into specifics on what to do afterwards, so I spent some time plowing the web and here is what I plan to do:

Length of diet - some doctors recommend as little as 7 days, others 2 weeks and others 30. (If you are doing the Whole 30 for "purification" or "resetting" purposes, then stick with 30 days). I may stop after 15 days due to travel plans that will complicate reintroduction.
    Reintroducing foods - some say 2-3 days, some 5 days. All recommend reintroducing foods one at a time. I like Univ. of Wisconsin's recommendation to introduce a food 3 x a day for one day, then observe your body for the next 2 days (without eating the food), then discontinue that food and repeat the process for each of the other foods you are testing for. in some cases you may want to re-test later.
    Symptom log keep a log of key symptoms which are concern for you - in my case I will be watching for joint pain, weight gain, bloating, digestive issues, headaches and sleep. I am rating the Severity of symptoms on a scale of 0-10: None 0, Mild 1-3, Moderate 4-6, Severe 7-9, Very Severe 10
    I'll be happy to share my log with you if you are interested PM me.
    Last edited by Adrianag; 10-30-2010 at 11:07 AM.