Thread: My sister wants to lose at least 21lb before her wedding (23/07/11)... page

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield

My sister wants to lose at least 21lb before her wedding (23/07/11)...

Primal Fuel
    I'd like to introduce her to PB, but she's very sensitive about her weight, and I feel that giving her the book would be like saying "You're fat (which she isn't, she's very muscular really; she rides, she mucks out stables, she chucks hay and straw bales and bags of feed around* she's got a lot of muscle tone - FAR more than I have, she's the opposite of me; I'm scale normal, but BF overweight, she's scale overweight, but probably body-fat normal (or at least acceptable).)

*So she's already pretty adept at lifting heavy things!

The thing is, she suffers from poor body-image the same as I do (though not as much). She does see herself as fat (because the scales - and her clothes (UK 14/16 (US 10/12)) tell her she is).

She's always been a yo-yoer; she's done every CW diet going: - Weight Watchers, Slimming World, Rosemary Conley; and what she's lost, she's always regained (with interest).

She'd like to get in to a size 10 wedding dress (12 minimum). She does carry her weight well, though, because a great deal of it is muscle (I tried telling her this once - she didn't speak to me for a fortnight... Needless to say, I've not tried again...).

This is the most recent photo I have of her (taken at a mate's hen do last summer, but she's not really changed much since) as you can see she really is stunningly beautiful (whereas I've been beaten half to death with the ugly stick!) She's the one on the left in the chocolate and black stripy top.

4970_102833566516_6&.jpg (this might have to be approved - dunno why, wish they'd turn that thing off as they never seem to get round to doing so!

If that doesn't work, try this: - http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m..._1160147_n.jpg

She's not exactly tee-total, and I'm not entirely sure whether she's quit the cigs or not. Personally, I think she's fine as she is, but she still sees herself as 'plus', and no "Cat, it's mostly muscle" will convince her otherwise...

I really want this to be the last time she 'diets', and I know it would just be the icing on the wedding cake if she could do it, but I don't know how to broach it without insulting her (and I'm Olympic standard at insulting people - mostly unintentionally...)

Sarah
    Last edited by Shrinking_Violet; 10-30-2010 at 07:04 AM.
    La tristesse durera toujours...

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post
    I'm scale normal, but BF overweight
    Firstly, if you're eating PB, I don't see how you can be 'skinny-fat'. You look slim in that photo. Case closed; get some beef down yer. (Coming from an ex-vegan...)

I'd say just approach it from an overall health aspect, don't even mention weight. If she gives it a go the weight loss will be a pleasant side-effect.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Erm. Your sister is beautiful, and a lovely shape, and what's wrong with 14/16 anyway? (Spoken by someone who's currently regarding 16 on the top and 12 on the bottom as an achievement - makes a change from 18-and-don't-try-to-sit-down, anyway.) Thing is, that while there are certainly diets that allow people to get thinner than their healthy weight by shedding muscle, PB really isn't one of them. It's not a weight loss diet, it's an arrive-at-your-healthy-weight (and at the speed your body chooses to go at, thank you very much) diet.

So if she isn't in fact carrying excess fat (regardless of what she thinks she's doing!), I wouldn't bother with PB - not for that reason, anyway. If she is... well, there probably isn't a tactful way of doing this, is there? (I have the tact of an elephant in a china shop, mind you, so I'm not the greatest person to listen to here.) Maybe you just need to be tactless and live through the next fortnight (= 2 weeks, for our American friends!) of not being spoken to.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    Firstly, if you're eating PB, I don't see how you can be 'skinny-fat'. You look slim in that photo. Case closed; get some beef down yer. (Coming from an ex-vegan...)

I'd say just approach it from an overall health aspect, don't even mention weight. If she gives it a go the weight loss will be a pleasant side-effect.
    Eh? I'm not in the photo! That's my sister and her mates Hannah (whose hen do it was) and I can't remember the name of the girl with the dark hair.
    La tristesse durera toujours...