Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, that explains a lot page

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

Well, that explains a lot

Primal Fuel
    Apparently, vegetarians are more likely to suffer from dementia and Alzheimers, due to a deficiency in B-12.
    Article
    You know, that explains all the demented vegetarians we've had come to the site.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    And to think, if they just ate some liver.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I think that we --eaters of red meat--and vegetarians might come out even on this one. B12 comes only from animal sources or supplementation. Vegetarians miss out on that. Sadly, I have heard some time ago that there is an element of red meat that diminishes the B12 that we meat eaters get. The red meat gives us some and takes a good bit away.

I wanted to get that out now so some wise person could comment. I will try to see what I can find to back this up. Anyway---its just something I heard.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Just got back from Google and Ask Jeeves. It seems that red meat is purported to exacerbate inflammation and damage the intestine walls. This works against the absorption of B12 and the production of intrinsic factor--which we need to utilize B12. Recommendations are to eat bison in place of cow to eliminate this. Since bison is usually pretty much free range, my guess is that the problem is not so much red meat as it is chemicals, hormones, antibiotics that usually come along with the red meat from the feed lot.

It seems that if one were to rely too much on feed lot cows, especially fatty sections of that meat, then they might have a problem of diminished B12---that could become pernicious anemia.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Ah. Thanks for that, periquin. I can't really say one way or the other from personal experience, but I'm wondering if it's also possible they have dementia and Alzheimer's earlier because of all the extra grains. I thought I remembered seeing a study on Alzheimer's back in college that stated a certain compound in grains was a part of the cause in the disease. I'll try to dig that one back up. I'd love to see a study done where they asked the patients still in the early stages how thy ate.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Lindsey is offline Senior Member
    Some are referring to Alzheimer's as Diabetes 3. i googled "Alzheimers and Diabetes 3" and came up with a few hits.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    It mystifies me to see the vegans who think that they can just eat fruit and vegetables with no b12 supplements and somehow the magical magic powers of nature is going to provide enough b12 to be healthy. Vegetarians in India have a huge heart disease rate because of their deficiency. It's real, get an injection or take a supplement.

Also even people who eat meat and eat a lot of meat tend to be on the lower side. I think that humans are by definition organ meat and shellfish eating animals who need those massive doses of b12 to be optimally healthy.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Alzheimer's and dementia are associated with B12 deficiency mainly because as people age, they tend to stop making intrinsic factor or hydrochloric acid, both of which are needed to absorb the B12 they eat (or take- unless they're taking sublingual methylcobalamin or dibencozide forms which are fully converted and active). I take methylcobalamin just to be safe, since my family has a history of dementia and Alzheimer's.

Question about supplements: Will a daily B100 (multi B) suffice or must the B12 come separately?

Anecdote of no particular value: Years ago I had friend in med school who had a morning ritual that perplexed me. First thing he took a mouthful of tepid water and swished around in his mouth, then swallowed. He claimed that he guaranteed getting sufficient B12 that way because the bacteria that grew in his mouth overnight was "animal matter" so it would give him his B12. Sounds like Monty Python stuff to me. Oh, yea, he was a vegetarian---all the way---vegan.

Note. The friend was in med school,not me.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Periquin, that sounds utterly bullshit to me. Sounds like he logicked something to an illogical conclusion (I can't remember the term).
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast