Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Check out this CW BS page 2

danmerk23 is offline Junior Member

Not to hijack this thread, but I was over at a well known home fitness site this morning to log a workout and I was appalled at the video clip they played about nutrition. They gloated that living a vegetarian lifestyle and being void of meats "will make you live longer." I wanted to reach into the monitor and slap that person with a turkey leg. The claims they were making about having better skin, muscles and hair because of a cleansed out system from eating all vegetables was key. Wow.

Then last night on Netflix I watched Les Stroud in Survivorman talk about how our bodies need saturated fats in order to survive. At least one media giant got it right!

Katt is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the further details, FlyNavyWife!

On a side note, last night at my gym, I noticed they were allowing vendors to supply free samples to the membership.... pizza and saucy, breaded, bbq wings...

*facepalms*

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

Daniel that video was such BS! I know that the chef they talked to in that video has been doing a Candida cleanse diet for the past month so apparently a vegetarian lifestyle isn't all they make it out to be.

It is so disheartening to see them spouting the same CW about red meat and no that fitness expert they talked about isn't a vegetarian. He eats fish (they say that in the video).

It is a shame because I think their exercise programs are great but their nutritional information is still in the dark ages.

grandma is offline Member

this sounds a bit like the sun eaters thread that was here recently. Between gazing at the sun and surfing the net for interesting facts one can get the days calories.

That's not CW, that's wacko

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Hey, I eat the sun when I'm beach walking and watch people (sorta) surf. Isn't that going to meet my RDA's?

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Another BS CW article, this time specifically about low-carb diets:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=590

If you're a member of SP I welcome you to comment... I did. "Dietitian Becky" is getting on my nerves.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

Well it does spout some typical CW BS but overall I wouldn't say it is that terrible of an article. I was glad to see her say not all carbs are created equal and while I don't agree with everything on her list of what to include, the list of what to limit and what to eliminate seems pretty spot-on.

What I really take issue with is:

"The risk of heart disease is greatly increased on a low-carb diet that is high in protein, cholesterol, fat, and saturated fat. A temporary reduction in cholesterol levels may be experienced, but this is common with any weight loss."

No credible study has conclusively shown that cholesterol has any impact on heart disease. We need to call people out whenever they spout such CW. Just challenge them to cite a study that supports that statement. Don't let them get away with saying "The AHA says...", "The CDC says...", "The FDA says...", etc.

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Dave - I swear that's how EVERY "CW" argument starts..."But the AHA said!" With a few family members who recently ditched their AHA-approved diets to eat low-carb Protein Power/Atkins diets with great success (lower BG, lower cholesterol), I think I call major bull on the AHA.

So many CW theories go straight back to Ancel Keys' flawed studies. There's little balance in the argument and little regard for the history of civilizations. It's a lot of half truths, incomplete research, and hopping in bed with large agribusiness.

I'm so frustrated of arguing for the way I eat and live now I cancelled my membership in SparkPeople, Team Beachbody (P90X), The Daily Plate, and many Facebook groups. I'd rather just unload that unnecessary stress.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12