Thread: Primal Parents--Advice? page

Hawaiianlion is offline Junior Member

Primal Parents--Advice?

Hey parents! I was wondering if I could get any tips or ideas where my kids are concerned. I have a 7 month old boy and a 3 1/2 year old girl. Anyway, I am trying to figure out how to balance what we eat at home (Primal) with what is given...well....everywhere else. For example, every Sunday at church she gets two snacks during each hour class. This consists of graham crackers, ritz crackers, or Goldfish crackers. I don't like it, but I am torn between bringing in a "special snack" and just leaving it for the sake of teacher sanity and not making my kid feel bad.

How does everyone deal with birthday parties and holidays...or just ANYTHING where you don't have "control" over what your kid is eating. I don't want her to eat that cake, but I also don't want to isolate her at a kid's birthday party. Where is the line? How much do you push?

Since going Primal has made such a huge difference in my life, I want the same for my kids.

Anything that worked in particular for you?

goingprimal is offline Senior Member
    I don't fight the school/party/holiday/grandma's house battles very hard. As we are eating more primal at home, my son is learning to choose better options elsewhere also. I think setting the example is the most important part and hopefully as they get older and make decisions for themselves they will choose the better options. In our house we are working on teaching him why nutrition is important, so it will help him make those decisions as he grows.

In a nutshell, I don't send special food - I let him have cake.

BethanyK is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Take the special snack in or offer to bring the snacks for the whole class. People with food allergies do that, and no one bats an eye. "She shouldn't eat certain foods, so I brought hers in." For parties, send a gluten-free, grain-free cupcake along with her.

Having dealt with allergies and sensitivities, I just got over the whole not caring to offend and instead focused on preserving my children's health. I don't know why we can't do that with primal. Teach them from a young age that certain foods aren't good for them, they learn it quickly.

I made a grain and gluten free cake for my son's birthday this year, but my daughter has asked for a specific cake, and I don't know how to make it without flour. I haven't experimented enough to be able to fake baked goods. So I'm making her the cake she asked for, and I won't feel bad giving it to the kids tomorrow. They'll enjoy it. I'll end up throwing the majority of it out. They'll eat cake knowing that its a special occasion. If we were in a social circle where the kids were going to parties every weekend, then I would be more worried, but once in a while is ok in my book.