Thread: RE: I'm afraid... best way to start page

jammies is offline Senior Member

RE: I'm afraid... best way to start

Primal Fuel
    Hello all;

I feel a little nervous even reading through this forum. I have been eating primal for about 2 months. I started on this path to help control my severe rheumatoid arthritis. So far, it is helping immensely.

While I do walk at least 45-75 minutes every day (some of it rigorous trail hiking), I don't do anything else. I have developed this sort of "fear" of my own body. I was in so much horrible pain for so long, that I now live in a state of hyper-vigilant protection of my joints. My pain is improved and it's time to start rebuilding the relationship I have with my physical self.

I still have pain in my hands daily and can't do things that will overly stress them, but I really want to work towards feeling strong. I also have a pretty significant trust issues with my knees, but I think they are ready to handle more.

Any suggestions for a gentle way to start doing more?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    jammies,
    first off, welcome to the forums; there is endless information, advice and support here.
    i think it's natural to have a little fear or apprehension about taking things to the next level fitness-wise given your past. i used to weight a good heft over 300 lbs., and it took me a while to get the confidence to do some of what i do now. one of the best things you can try is taking baby steps:
    on your walks, try jogging between 2 telephone poles, then walking 2-3, then jogging again
    find a hill to walk up quickly for a lighter sprinting workout
    get in the water...swimming, exercising in a pool...it's low impact and a great way to break into more fitness endeavors
    check out the PB fitness book...there are five main bodyweight exercises mark recommends that all start at the most beginner level for those who are new to resistance training

you probably have a good sense of your body, so listen to it. don't push too hard or try too much, but don't hold back either. if you move just outside your comfort zone, you should be fine. and if you do suffer an injury doing that, it should be minor, and quickly healed with rest.

grok on

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello Jammies,

It is so encouraging that your symptoms have abated following the PB. Do you live in an area that has access to a Pilates studio? Although it's not cheap, working out on a reformer would be a good and gentle way to increase your range of motion and start building strength in your feet, legs, core, and arms. I think you could modify things to minimize stress on your hands. A good Pilates instructor can also help personalize some exercises for you to do when you're not in the studio. Another option is to try to get a referral to a physical therapist to help you get started in weight bearing exercises safely. Maybe I am sounding too cautious; it's probably because I don't know more than the basics about RA.

One more thing to keep in mind is that as you continue to improve and lessen the inflammation, you will begin to do more naturally without being aware of it. One day you may notice yourself standing up from a deep squat and your knees don't feel a thing! I have read that kind of andecdote more than once on this forum.

Anyway, keep up the good work and let us know how you progress.

P.S. I agree with the suggestion on swimming/water exercise--that's a great idea.
    I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.