Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hold onto yer hats, guys and gals (and everything else!)... page

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield

Talking Hold onto yer hats, guys and gals (and everything else!)...

Tonight I cooked - MEAT (unfortunately NOT the local, pastured, kind (simply can't afford it on a regular basis - it really is once-in-a-blue-moon meat). This was from M&S who seem to want to make a Big Deal about how their meat is from animals fed a 'special cereal-based diet', as though it made it somehow superior to meat from animals allowed to eat their natural diet.)

Anyway, 3 packs of whatever for 10 - got a pack of pork loin steaks, pack of skin-on chicken breasts and some seabass fillets (the only other option in the meat steaks (pun intended - I'm in a VERY silly mood tonight! ) was well 10oz of braising steaks, and I don't have the patience to cook that.

So I had a pork loin fillet, pan seared it, then added cream and a slosh of white wine (no, not very Primal, but buggrit!) and a teaspoonful of mixed peppercorns to the juices, and allowed it to reduce. Served it on a bed of wilted spinach (which I actually cooked near damned perfectly - it wasn't all 'seaweedy'; it was a fluke, honest! Can't be giving up my 'crap cook' status!) and had it with a small glass of white.

Thing is, I'm rubbish at timing (or remembering to put things in the top oven to keep warm). I thought I'd timed the meat to perfection at 1 minute per side (as per the pack instructions) but I did need to have me good set of teef in (as my mum's late dad used to say!) as it was rather overdone (and cold by the time I got to it!)

Dad will probably moan about the wine (I had about 25ml for the sauce, and 125ml in my glass - and they were at the golf club for a damned good noshing tonight, so he can ruddy well STFU and allow me a bit of Friday night pleasure! Barsteward!)

Now all I need is the ability to cook the rest of it (maybe I should have put this in the 'recipes' section, I could be in need of some inspiration... )

Right and I really ought to be getting to me cot, but I honestly don't feel sleepy. I've no idea what I did differently today, but I've not felt bad at all - this has DEFINITELY been a 7.5/10 day...

Hugs,

Sarah xxx
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Gathwh is offline Senior Member
    Good for you!

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Doing good!
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

shiggles is offline Senior Member
    There are so many Britisms in this post my mind is all twisted...

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    YAY MEAT!

@shiggles: American translation: The girl finally actually ate some meat (which she overcooked). And she drank some wine. Now she's a little sauced as a result and can't get to sleep. Says her dad needs to STFU. Sumpin' sumpin' about her grandpa's false choppers....
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    YAY MEAT!

@shiggles: American translation: The girl finally actually ate some meat (which she overcooked). And she drank some wine. Now she's a little sauced as a result and can't get to sleep. Says her dad needs to STFU. Sumpin' sumpin' about her grandpa's false choppers....

TL - if ya weren't 5,000 miles away, I'd hug ya!

Shiggles - if ya don't speak British, then I'm not translating for ya - I do my best to pander to the whims and fancies of you Yanks (note that the Aussies and Kiwis have the decency to speak the same language as we do - it's only you lot who have to be so damned, feckin' awkward! )

M&S is a department store (I assume you know what they are, right...?) selling everything from clothes to household goods, furniture and food.

It was established in 1884 by Mr Marks and Mr Spencer as a penny bazaar (last year was their 125th anniversary and many stores held Victorian-style penny bazaars, selling olde-worlde type goodies for just 1p, all proceeds going to various charities)).

They also have separate grocery stores known as Simply Food (we have one on the high street in town) most of the stuff tends to be rather overpriced for what it is, but it's still cheaper for me to buy my food there than it is from the local indie grocery store which sells local stuff (like I've said before, I just can't justify 20 or so for a lb of steak - when I can go to M&S and buy 6 things for that).

I've just had another bit of piggy for brekkie (UNDERCOOKED it this time! DAMNIT!! I can't cook to save anyone's life - let alone mine! )

Here's a link to M&S, if you're interested http://www.marksandspencer.com/b/42966030

Gathwh is offline Senior Member
    You'll learn. Each time learn something and in a year you'll be better than most people.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gathwh View Post
    You'll learn. Each time learn something and in a year you'll be better than most people.

Excuse me, but I already know I'm better than most people...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast