Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on breaking through the fat loss plateau page

markz is offline Junior Member

Need advice on breaking through the fat loss plateau

Primal Fuel
    So I've been at this since April of this year. I'm down 27 pounds....not sure of the fat/muscle breakdown, but I'm the strongest I've ever been in my life so I can only assume I added some muscle in addition to losing fat. The problem is I've been stuck at 190 for 2 1/2 months now. I've experimented with IF quite a bit. I've gone zero carb for weeks. I've cut calories down to 1200/day...I've also upped them to 2,500/day. Nothing is working...I'm no longer losing bodyfat and I am not able to increase the weight on my lifts on a regular basis. I lift MWF and try to stay active on the weekends. I do spend 90% of my workday sitting and I'm wondering if this is hampering my efforts? On one hand I feel like I need the rest from squats and deads, on the other I am not exactly following Mark's recommendations on low level movement. It seems like I'm either resting or lifting intensley monday through friday, that's it. Since I just don't have the time or ability to stand up most of the day, should I introduce some type of intense cardio at night even though I am sore from the weights?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Think you've answered this. Lots of moving slowly will program your body for burning fuel, specifically by reducing cortisol.

There are 10 primal laws. They all contribute
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

jasonph is offline Senior Member
    jesus, you're 190 and active and eating 2500 cals a day?

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    it sounds like you're lifting too often and not really giving your muscles time to repair, hence not making any progress.. maybe cut it down to 1x or 2x a week? also, have you tried sprinting? a lot of people apparently see a lot of gains in their progress in the week after a sprinting session, even if it only lasted for 4-6mins. it's also good in that it doesn't require a lot of time, if you're pressed for it.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

markz is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the advice. The problem with sprinting is that to do it I need to not do squats so it's really just replacing one exercise with another. I think I need to add something in the short time I have, but were not supposed to do cardio.

As for overtraining I guess it's possible. I have experimented quite a bit and am down now to squats, deadlifts, pullups, bench press, and overhead press. I'm doing 3 sets of 8 reps with 1 minute rest between sets and exercises. I only lift 24 hours after losing soreness...which means some weeks its three times, some weeks it's twice...or maybe I skip squats or bench or whatever. I'm trying not to wear myself out.

As for calories, yes if I eat more than 2,500 at my current activity level I get fat. I'm over 6 foot so there is whole lot of bones in that 190lbs and not much muscle. I've done GOMAD before while doing stronglifts 5x5 and even then I was getting fat while squating heavy three days per week.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Markz, I strongly suggest converting to a standing desk and get away from sitting all day. I found for myself that converting to standing made a huge difference in how I felt and probably helped some of my fat loss. Also, for me, I have found that less is more as far as weight training. Stronglifts is a great program, but for me, it was too much too often. I now do two heavy weight full body training days per week. One focuses on squats OR deadlifts, the other day focuses on chest. Each of the two days also includes a variety of other exercises such as pullups, pushups, overhead presses, dips, etc. I no longer do sprints, but instead do Tabata type intense workouts for a short period which are a better substitute for me.

As far as your diet, if you are gaining fat at 2500 calories per day, then it's most likely that your sitting and office work are not burning enough calories. I suggest monitoring your calories closely, and drop them by 100 per day for a few weeks at a time until you find your maintenance level. Then, drop it by 100 calories or so to see if you begin to lose. This method has worked well for me, but you have to be patient. For example, stay at 2500 for 2-3 weeks and see what happens. If you do not gain fat (measure using tape/calipers rather than scale), then continue for another 2-3 weeks. If you are still not gaining or losing at that point, then you are likely at maintenance. You can try adding some calories or cutting some at that time. However, only change your intake by 100-200 calories at a time. Don't make drastic changes. I found that slow gradual changes are best.

This is what has worked for me. Your age, genetics and other factors may allow you to do differently.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Markz; I don't understand why you can't squat and sprint, maybe I am confused by what you described your lifting schedule to be. Also what kind of IFing are you doing? What sort of height are we looking at?

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by markz View Post
    Thanks for the advice. The problem with sprinting is that to do it I need to not do squats so it's really just replacing one exercise with another. I think I need to add something in the short time I have, but were not supposed to do cardio.

As for overtraining I guess it's possible. I have experimented quite a bit and am down now to squats, deadlifts, pullups, bench press, and overhead press. I'm doing 3 sets of 8 reps with 1 minute rest between sets and exercises. I only lift 24 hours after losing soreness...which means some weeks its three times, some weeks it's twice...or maybe I skip squats or bench or whatever. I'm trying not to wear myself out.

As for calories, yes if I eat more than 2,500 at my current activity level I get fat. I'm over 6 foot so there is whole lot of bones in that 190lbs and not much muscle. I've done GOMAD before while doing stronglifts 5x5 and even then I was getting fat while squating heavy three days per week.
    I do muscle groups on different days. I think squatting 3x a week is too much, just my opinion.

If I do legs and back on Tuesday or Wed so doing sprints on Saturday is no problem.

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I squat one or twice a week, and still get in 1 to 2 sprint sessions a week. One is tabata sprints, the other just straight 50-100 yard dashes. I think sprinting will help you break through to the level you want. It has worked great for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast