Thread: Mono/diglycerides in cottage cheese? page

Gathwh is offline Senior Member

Mono/diglycerides in cottage cheese?

Primal Fuel
    I just noted that the cottage cheese I eat has mono and diglycerides. I have nothing against dairy and have tried going without it with no difference, but should I worry about these ingredients?

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gathwh View Post
    I just noted that the cottage cheese I eat has mono and diglycerides. I have nothing against dairy and have tried going without it with no difference, but should I worry about these ingredients?
    It's an additive generally made out of soybean oil I think. I am pretty sure it's also made out of corn oil... it's the same stuff they use in crisco and shit for baking.

There are tons of brands of cottage cheese that won't contain these... so drop that brand.

edit: wikipedia confirms

Tommy7 is offline Member
    I use Friendship (no salt added) but the only drawback is that it is Lowfat 1%. Actually I recently stopped using it and switched to whey protein powder and raw milk instead. But anyway...that brand is only milk as far as ingredients. In the past I have searched endlessly to find whole milk cottage cheese but there seems to be none to be had. It is all 1% 2% or 4%. I don't like the addition of skim milk to any products. Oxidized cholesterol and all.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    It's an additive generally made out of soybean oil I think. I am pretty sure it's also made out of corn oil... it's the same stuff they use in crisco and shit for baking.

There are tons of brands of cottage cheese that won't contain these... so drop that brand.

edit: wikipedia confirms

I've NEVER found a cottage cheese over here with anything evil in - not even the cheap 'n' cheerful stuff. The tub I have in the fridge lists just 5 ingredients: - Skimmed Milk, Cream, Vegetarian Rennet, Salt, Starter Culture (the store was out of the brand I usually buy, which is local, and doesn't contain salt).
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Gathwh is offline Senior Member
    Thanks.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    I'm grateful this thread was started as it made me question what the ingredients were in the cottage cheese I buy:
    Check this gross-ness out:

Milk Ingredients, Bacterial Culture, Salt, Citric Acid, Guar Gum, Mono and Diglycerides, Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Microbial Enzyme, Carbon Dioxide.

Yikes!

I'm going to start looking into another brand...

Does anyone know a brand of cottage cheese sold in Ontario, Canada that doesn't have additives like this?

canuk_caveman is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    I'm grateful this thread was started as it made me question what the ingredients were in the cottage cheese I buy:
    Check this gross-ness out:

Milk Ingredients, Bacterial Culture, Salt, Citric Acid, Guar Gum, Mono and Diglycerides, Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Microbial Enzyme, Carbon Dioxide.

Yikes!

I'm going to start looking into another brand...

Does anyone know a brand of cottage cheese sold in Ontario, Canada that doesn't have additives like this?
    damn i just checked my cottage cheese and it's exactly the same. nordica right? i'm a CC addict so this sucks and nordica is my fav brand. i'm also in ON so i need a good brand. i'm going to check out what else is out there next time i'm at the grocery store.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    That's like the ingredient list of most cottage cheese I see in the market (where I just was this morning). Found that Daisy brand has nothing but dairy ingredients, but I could only find 2%.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuk_caveman View Post
    damn i just checked my cottage cheese and it's exactly the same. nordica right? i'm a CC addict so this sucks and nordica is my fav brand. i'm also in ON so i need a good brand. i'm going to check out what else is out there next time i'm at the grocery store.
    Yup, it's Nordica.
    I know it didn't use to have all those additives because I'm pretty aware of those things and initially went with Nordica because it didn't have the additives.
    Looks like things have changed.

I'm considering making my own, or just dropping it form my food choices all together.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy7 View Post
    I use Friendship (no salt added) but the only drawback is that it is Lowfat 1%. Actually I recently stopped using it and switched to whey protein powder and raw milk instead. But anyway...that brand is only milk as far as ingredients. In the past I have searched endlessly to find whole milk cottage cheese but there seems to be none to be had. It is all 1% 2% or 4%. I don't like the addition of skim milk to any products. Oxidized cholesterol and all.
    Whole Milk is aout 4% fat...so 4% cottage cheese IS full-fat, I think.