Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trader Joe's Almond Milk - Pathetic! page

Adrianag is offline Senior Member

Trader Joe's Almond Milk - Pathetic!

I am off of dairy for 30 days and bought some Trader Joe's Almond Milk to drink with my coffee. I just checked the label and see that 8 oz. provides one (1) measly gram of protein....not good at all.

Compare that to the 9 grams of protein in a rounded 1/4 cup of almonds (1.2 oz.), "just a handful". I weighed out 1.2 oz. of almonds and counted them - it is 29 almonds. 9 grams/29 = 3.2 almonds/ 1 gram of protein.

Somebody check my logic for me -I think this tells me that 8 ounces of TJs Almond Milk is extracted from 3.2 almonds! No wonder it tastes like water! By comparison, recipes for homemade almond milk call for 4 cups of water to 1 cup of raw almonds, an almond to milk ratio 10 x higher.

Ripoff?

Muppet is offline Senior Member
    you should try to make some homemade cashew milk and add a vanilla bean (assuming you have a vitamix. or else just vanilla extract). maybe some stevia. super yum! and you don't have to strain cashew milk

Interesting! Thanks for the tip. No straining?

I hear hazelnut milk is nice and creamy also, I've been looking for the nuts locally with no luck.

I just bought a package of ground raw wildcrafted vanilla beans that I am looking forward to trying.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Nut milks are strained in a way that the oils seep into the water, leaving behind the fiber and protein which are discarded. Its not blended almonds mixed with water, so the macronutrient ratios aren't the same as in whole almonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    Nut milks are strained in a way that the oils seep into the water, leaving behind the fiber and protein which are discarded. Its not blended almonds mixed with water, so the macronutrient ratios aren't the same as in whole almonds.
    True, but I would hope a bit more of the proteins would come through in the milk? I wonder how much is skimping on inputs, vs. losses in processing?

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Why are you trying to get protein from nuts? Nuts have protein, but I pretty much consider them a fat and very much not a source of my protein for the day.

Jadebb1 is offline Senior Member
    Hey Pandadude - I make my own almond milk and then use the grindings for granola - not discarding! It's like using the whole buffalo like the native americans did lol!

Anyway, I think the idea is to get a healthy, delicious dairy free substitute, and aside from coconut milk the almond (nut milks) are great. I soak my almonds overnight before making it to remove the enzyme inhibitors. Then strain, separate, make milk and granola. Awsome!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I've been using Trader Joe's Almond milk for a couple of years since I figured out dairy makes me hurt (and makes me stinky inside). I was using the vanilla one, though, which has a lot of sugar. Not getting it again, sticking with unsweetened for sure. As long as it gets my cereal wet...wait. Am I supposed to quit eating cereal now? *kicks a rock*

Do you just put whole soaked almonds in a food liquifier or do you add some kind of fluid to it? Grocery Outlet often has big bags of whole almonds. I don't think they're even baked.

Jadebb1 is offline Senior Member
    Knifegill - this is my easy recipe for soaked almond milk:

Take one cup of whole raw almonds. Place them overnight in pure, filtered water (about 2 cups). In the am, or after 8 hours soaking, rinse thoroughly. Place in the blender with 2 1/2 cups of pure (I use distilled) water. If you want it less creamy, use more water, if you want it creamier, use less, but I find 2 1/2 cups is perfect. I add a little stevia -you could add a little honey or 2 - 3 pitted dates. Drain through a cheesecloth (or I just found out you could use pantyhose!). That's your milk!

Use the almond grindings to make granola - if you want that recipe, let me know!

Good luck - you won't need it, it's really easy! And so much cheaper and better than store bought!

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    Why are you trying to get protein from nuts? Nuts have protein, but I pretty much consider them a fat and very much not a source of my protein for the day.
    Why not, when a handful has as much or more than an egg it's a significant source. Not intended to be my primary source by a long shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast