Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I gain weight after exercising page

lizch is offline Senior Member

I gain weight after exercising

Primal Fuel
    I've been watching this for a while, and now I'm pretty sure about it: in the immediate 2-3 days after rigorous exercise, my weight goes up. I'm not even slightly concerned about it...it drops back down again after that little rise, and I'm at a weight I'm very happy about.

I'm pretty sure it's not because I'm eating more in response to the exercise. So what's the mechanism? Is it the body hanging on to extra fluid as it works on recovery? My impedance body fat doesn't seem to change, which I might expect if it was a fluid issue, but I know that measurement is inaccurate.

I'm tracking this partly so that when someone posts on the board complaining that despite working out really hard yesterday, they are 2lbs heavier today, I can share my experience. Would be nice to have a logical explanation for it though!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    When you exercise you create micro-tears in your muscles which fill up with fluid as they heal. Thus, weight gain. I gained 2 pounds after my last marathon

afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    Since I'm still addicted to my scale (I know I know!!!!!), I've noticed the same thing. I did some intense arm workouts the other day and I weighted myself the next morning, I was up almost 2 pounds! Concerned if it's "muscle-fluid" or fat...... not sure if it's dropped down or not, but i'm determined not to hop on it for a month! We'll see how that goes.

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    It seems to be fairly well accepted that muscle tissue retains more water after exercise, but I'm not sure of the reason. A good guess would be that it's something to do with repair.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    mine does too....if i do something to the point of sore muscles the next day or work some part i forgot existed...im rather swollen feeling and definitely add some extra weight to the scale. but as its not something i do chronically i think it benefits in the next few days as the body repairs the growing muscle....just my idea at least lol

Meg-a-Tron is offline Senior Member
    I actually use this as a psuedo gauge of how hard I've worked- if I don't gain at least a little then I know I didn't work hard enough to create the required trauma/rebuild I want.
    Stats: 5'6" female, 21 years young
    Starting Weight: 187 lbs (March 2010)
    Current Weight: 143 lbs (Oct 2011)
    Goal BF: 20%

Super D Omega 3 daily & BCAAs preworkout

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for this. I was up 1.5 pounds this a.m. Yes, I ate a tortilla on Thursday, but really 1.5 pounds! I worked out hard yesterday. Post workout gain makes more sense.

Mattman is offline Member
    I'm actually quite glad I grew up never having access to scales, it saves obssessing over menial things like this.
    I have no idea how much I weigh, and could care less, cause it's not really important in the grand scheme of things.
    Are you eating right? Yes. Are you exercising regularly? Yes. Are you quite clearly overweight? No.
    Then you have nothing to worry about.
    Here's my resolve.

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    Are you doing primal workouts or more endurance-based workouts? I've never actually observed this, but I've known a couple other women who are endurance athletes and claimed to experience slight gains in weight after endurance events. They said the reason for this is that endurance sports can increase estrogen levels. I have no idea if this is even remotely valid.
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyMac703 View Post
    Are you doing primal workouts or more endurance-based workouts? I've never actually observed this, but I've known a couple other women who are endurance athletes and claimed to experience slight gains in weight after endurance events. They said the reason for this is that endurance sports can increase estrogen levels. I have no idea if this is even remotely valid.
    No endurance...I notice this after just an hour of dance aerobics/low weight work or, in this particular case, an hour of intense primal-ish strength work.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast