Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts and observations on Sat fat (for me) page

Tommy7 is offline Member

Thoughts and observations on Sat fat (for me)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi,
    I’d like to make a few notes here to kind of paint a background. I’m 53

I'm just trying to get a handle on this Primal stuff and find my own way...."tailor" my own way. Sorry for the length.

Many times people find their way to ways of eating due to weight problems and failed diets. I have always been thin and weight has never been an issue. At 5’10 I have been as high as 220 lbs but this was done on purpose for weight lifting and competitive fighting reasons but I normally walked around at 183-185. But again, this weight was my comfortable fighting weight. Manufactured weight.
    After an illness last year and no more fighting I decided to change my eating habits. I dropped a few lbs down to 177. After finding out more about low carb and primal/paleo etc I eventually moved in that direction although I was still eating some grains in the way of brown rice and beans (well quite a bit actually). But the weight (without wheat or sugar or any refined anything) came off fast. I am naturally thin and I guess my body wants to be what it is. I’m now 168 lbs. But I attribute this to calorie deficit since going “lower” carb. About a month ago I dropped grains also and now eat only veggies a little fruit and sweet potato as carbs. My weight is the same. If anything it goes down but never up. I was a grazer and ate every 2 hrs. Now, I still feel like eating all the time but it’s more habit than hunger. I eat 3 meals per day, sometimes a 4th. BUT I can eat every hr if I chose to….that’s just me. My father used to yell at me.”what do you have a whole in your stomach??” I know what you’re thinking; it has been said to me before. Add more protein or fat, it’s more satiating. Sorry, doesn’t work. But, bottom line is that it isn’t interfering…I haven’t been troubled by not grazing. I’m not “starving” or craving like I used to…..I just like to eat!!!

I know many would like to think that low carb is responsible for the weight loss but I ate a lot before. Now without grains and bread/wheat and all that it is a lot less, so the weight loss is calorie deficit plain and simple. I’ve added more meat, more eggs, more protein, fat, etc….forge it. It will never equal the extra calories of the missing cabs.
    Ok…no biggie, I’m just giving history here, not complaining. It’s all working out good. Although, one point I would make is that looking at most of the recipes or examples of meals people are eating, in my view it seems weight loss is coming from just small meals rather than any magical formula. I don’t miss grains or wheat but without them the meal is really incomplete as far as size goes. I can eat a rack of ribs and a steak or huge chicken breast smothered in gravy/sauce but it is the 2 baskets of bread they give at the restaurant and the baked potato that used to fill me up!!

My question here, if there is one (I’m kind of rambling and just making observations) is about the saturated fat. I have CAD and while I don’t believe the whole sat fat hypothesis or fear fat, I find something interesting. I try to “just eat.” I try to get enough calories so as not to lose too much weight. I have eggs and raw milk in the am…veggies, sometimes meat etc. At lunch I have Beef or Bison and the same for dinner unless I sub Chicken with and without skin. Coconut oil here and there as well as butter. In my pie chart fat is the biggest slice but that is kind of by default. I just eat, like I said. I don’t actively go after the fat. What I have noticed in the low carb community is an almost in your face attitude toward CW. It’s not just “ok I’ll eat a nice big steak .” It becomes, "I had a steak, covered in thick bacon and smothered with extra bacon fat to which I added a big glob of butter.” A kind of bragging and almost a contest to see who can eat more fat..lol.

Like I said, it’s only an observation not a bitching. I am trying to find my own happy medium and would like to weed through some of the peaks and valleys of the choppy waters. Somewhere is the true water level. I find the sort of seeking out of fat, kind of like the “if 2 aspirin are good 5 must be better” attitude. For health (not weight loss) does it matter how much fat other than what is naturally in a “normal” amount of food? You know…not the “smothered in” kind…

If I just rounded out loosely I may get around 30-35 g sat fat today, some days more some less. But again, I never count. I’m just rough estimating today's fat: 3 jumbo pastured eggs with 1 tsp coconut oil, ½ cup 1% cot. Cheese, 5 oz grass fed ground bison, 5 oz grass fed ground beef, 1 cup raw milk, ¾ cup raw milk yogurt, handful of walnuts.
    I usually add a couple tbsp coconut oil to my daily salad but haven’t in the last week so I’m not counting that for today. Yesterday to the above would have been added butter also, 1 tbsp. Pretty typical for me unless I add the butter or coconut oil. (plus 3 g dha/epa). Other days chicken breast would replace the beef...sometimes skin sometimes not.

If you made it through....thanks for listening

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I know what you mean. The PB book doesn't scream EAT FAT, but the forums certainly do.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    Even though you said "my question here," I honestly do not see a question. haha You mention that your question pertains to saturated fat. What about the saturated fat are you questioning?

Tommy7 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianne View Post
    Even though you said "my question here," I honestly do not see a question. haha You mention that your question pertains to saturated fat. What about the saturated fat are you questioning?
    lol....I guess you' re right. I'm just trying to get a grasp on what appears to be an importance placed on consuming fats/sat fats throughout the community. Not just here but in general as it applies to low carb. For health, does it really matter? I mean, for me I just eat and don't actively concern myself with "more" fat. Whatever it comes with I just eat. If anything I might even say....nah, maybe I'll save this for tomorrow. But on the other hand I see others almost making a contest out of it and loading up already fatty foods with extra fat. The general question for me is "is it necessary?" Can I gain all the health benefits of Primal without going the "extra" fat mile?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy7 View Post
    lol....I guess you' re right. I'm just trying to get a grasp on what appears to be an importance placed on consuming fats/sat fats throughout the community. Not just here but in general as it applies to low carb. For health, does it really matter? I mean, for me I just eat and don't actively concern myself with "more" fat. Whatever it comes with I just eat. If anything I might even say....nah, maybe I'll save this for tomorrow. But on the other hand I see others almost making a contest out of it and loading up already fatty foods with extra fat. The general question for me is "is it necessary?" Can I gain all the health benefits of Primal without going the "extra" fat mile?
    Okay, I see now. I think saturated fat is considered a more neutral fat than other types. So if you eat more saturated fat to the detriment of other fats, then you may not need as much omega 3 supplementation. I think the takeaway message should be don't fear saturated fat. You don't need to artificially inflate your fat consumption - do what feels right to you.

Red Rover is offline Junior Member
    I am the same way never really had a weight issue and have always been physically active. I just can't eat the amount of fat needed to prevent me from eating at a calorie deficit, I just don't have the appetite for it. Steak with bacon and butter would be too much for me also. Even when I was a kid I naturally went for chicken breasts and never ate the fat bits on steak. Some of us do run well on higher carb and lower fat diets, just make sure the carbs are the kinds your body can properly handle.

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianne View Post
    Okay, I see now. I think saturated fat is considered a more neutral fat than other types. So if you eat more saturated fat to the detriment of other fats, then you may not need as much omega 3 supplementation. I think the takeaway message should be don't fear saturated fat. You don't need to artificially inflate your fat consumption - do what feels right to you.
    this, exactly. nobody really needs to make a point to, say, eat 2 sticks of butter a day or ingest coconut oil by the spoonful to get their fat content in. it does happen naturally when you just eat primally.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Tommy7 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post
    I am the same way never really had a weight issue and have always been physically active. I just can't eat the amount of fat needed to prevent me from eating at a calorie deficit, I just don't have the appetite for it. Steak with bacon and butter would be too much for me also. Even when I was a kid I naturally went for chicken breasts and never ate the fat bits on steak. Some of us do run well on higher carb and lower fat diets, just make sure the carbs are the kinds your body can properly handle.
    [The emphasis in the above quote is mine]
    For me it's affordability. I'm dealing with a calorie deficit, especially when working out, that I can't satisfy with meat/fat/protein, not due to appetite (I can surely eat it!!) but cost.

So! Is low carb benefits (health wise) more of a higher fat thing or a lower carb thing? I'm sure some will say that higher fats are by default from eating less carbs, but I could eat low carb and less fat. More skinless chicken breast or turkey, tuna, protein powder, non fat greek yogurt etc. Less red meat. I don't want to go that route...I'm just saying. I really enjoy the Paleo/primal way but as I said....I'm trying to find my level.

Come to think of it speaking of "Paleo." Isn't that what Mark sites as one of the differences between Paleo and Primal? The fat issue? Cordain is still on the lean meat thing. So what would you say is the difference health wise between the two. Caution: I'm just comparing the fat/lean meat issues not differences in oils/puffa's, or any of the other allowances or things forbidden on either side.

Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post
    this, exactly. nobody really needs to make a point to, say, eat 2 sticks of butter a day or ingest coconut oil by the spoonful to get their fat content in. it does happen naturally when you just eat primally.
    To get your fat content? See? Is there one?

Thanks
    Last edited by Tommy7; 10-29-2010 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy7 View Post
    To get your fat content? See? Is there one?

Thanks
    Yes, there is one, and I would say it is driven by satiety. Therefore, it is different for every person.

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat globs of fat. I doubt I could eat coconut oil by a spoon, just thinking about it makes me queasy. I use it to cook but am not a huge fan of it. I cook my eggs in bacon grease (again not a fan) because I am in the no dairy bunch. I use coco milk in my coffee. At lunch I have avacado and olive oil in my salad. Dinner is grilled meat and veggies baked with olive oil and spices, generally with a salad. I have almond butter on celery as a side or snack when needed. Just happens to turn out to be about 50-60% of my calorie intake. I think the message is to get adequate fat in every meal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast