Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAMISHED - what Am I missing? page

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member

FAMISHED - what Am I missing?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok... I'm doing my best here - but I'm constantly hungry (Or so it seems) and the Past 2 nights I've woken up at 4am to nurse my son, and have a constant gnawing in my stomach!

I'm 5'3" 185 and I'm pretty active. I have a history of POCS. Am I eating enough or too much?

Here's yesterday's foods

2 eggs w/4oz organic pepper jack cheese cooked in 1/2Tbs of bacon fat, chicken breakfast sausage and almond -pumpkin muffin (baked w/almond flour), 2 cups of coffee w/goats milk & stevia

snack 2handfuls of walnuts

lunch BAS, with tuna, celery, onion, homemade dijon vinegrette

snack: 4 celery stalks w/ brie

dinner - Faux pad thai - Cooked in coconut oil - included chicken breast, shrimp, eggs, broccoli, onions, snap peas, waterchestnuts - seasoned w/ salt/pepper (DH took mine off before adding the pad thai noodles/sauce)

snack: apple & 2Tbs of almond butter

Exercise was a 30min walk w/2.5dd, wearing ds in the ergo.

Woke up this am starving!!!!

Breakfast
    2eggs w/pepper jack cheese, and 1/2c mixed greens cooked in bacon fat
    2 cups of coffee w/goats milk, and steviea

snack: Faux pad thai - Cooked in coconut oil - included chicken breast, shrimp, eggs, broccoli, onions, snap peas, waterchestnuts - seasoned w/ salt/pepper (this was supposed to be my lunch today - but guess not now)

Today's exercise is P90X legs/back and probably a 30min walk (at 2.5yo pace - walk, stop, look ask questions about something...repeat) w/ the kids this evening as they both love being outside

Any tips would be appreciated... I need to loose about 40-50lbs of fat and I want to build muscle too! I'm willing to let this take its course over time as well....

labbygail is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shijin13 View Post
    Ok... I'm doing my best here - but I'm constantly hungry (Or so it seems) and the Past 2 nights I've woken up at 4am to nurse my son, and have a constant gnawing in my stomach!
    This could have been written by me! Babies must have an internal alarm clock that tells them 4am is a great time to nurse. Then my stomach says, "Oh, is it morning already? Where's my breakfast?"

I think you just don't eat enough. Obviously everyone's caloric needs are different, but I weigh a lot less than you do (so should theoretically need less food than you), am not trying to lose weight, am less active than you, eat MORE than you do, and I'm STILL hungry all the time.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    In the book "Mastering Leptin" the author suggests that to reduce hunger and cravings, one should aim to eat a maximum of 3 meals a day, with at least 5 hours between meals and at least 11-12 hours fast overnight with NO eating after dinner and NO snacking of any kind between meals. Eat enough food at meal times to keep one fueled for that 5-6 hr stretch. He states that constant eating interferes with normal hormonal rhythms, particularly leptin, that suppress appetite and allow the body to burn stored fuel.

He acknowledges that many people have "broken" metabolic hormones and may not be able to go 5 hours without eating, but the goal should be to work towards that, perhaps starting with 4 meals a day every 4 hours. Like PB, he recommends reducing carbohydrate intake but does not recommend exrtemely low carb. It does seem like you are eating extremely low carb and you might not be keto-adapted yet. You might find things will get better and you will be less hungry over time or you may actually feel and do better adding a few more carbs back into your diet.

I personally have been on PB since feb and most of the time have no problem going 6hours between eating anything. But when I start getting hunger cravings, if I eat a healthy portion of fruit or potatoes, that seems to calm the hunger and cravings for me for several days (see posts on "carb refeeds"). I know other people on this forum think the opposite, that adding those carbs back to the diet will ruin the progress one has made. I guess we all have to experiment and find what works best for us. I have found that a little carb refeeding here and there keeps me humming along and actually suppresses food cravings and hunger that have arisen after a longish period of very low carb eating.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    It looks to me like you're eating enough. You describe feeling hungry when you wake up at 4 AM, but how hungry are you throughout the day?

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Eat more fat. If you are hungry, have a tablespoonful of coconut oil and see if that helps. It should.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Eat more fat. If you are hungry, have a tablespoonful of coconut oil and see if that helps. It should.

I'll try this too (not that I've got any CO, but I'll find some!) - I don't have a babbie, but 4am is my wake-up time, too. Every morning. Without fail. Whatever I do to wind down of an evening and whatever time I hit the sack. It really is most annoying - no wonder I end up going over my allowance every damned day!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Some days I don't feel hungry during the day, and others I'm constantly hungry. Like today...it feels like I've got a gnawing in my stomach. The last time I had this constant hunger feeling was during survival school almost 20yrs ago...We were give 2 MREs for 5days in the wild. At 1030 I had 4 celery sticks cut in 1/2 and on 4 I spread a 60% fat brie cheese, and on the others I spread some organic almond butter... I'm going to grab some lunch early... like NOW - I'm so hungry I don't think I could even make it through 20mins of P90X Legs/Back right now...

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    I also do P90x - modified - although I am in huge disagreement with their nutrition plan as well as the incessant snacking. Not needed and it can hinder you as mentioned above.

Add those walnuts to your breakfast. Add avacado or something to your salad. If you don't like avocado add a tbs of olive oil in addition to your dressing.

If you are snacking because P90x said so, stop it right now.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I concur with the bigger, fattier meals suggestion. Try eating the same amount of food, but all in your meals instead of doing meals plus snacks.

If you MUST snack, make it pure fat.

ETA: I've been thinking back to my first 6 months of primal living. There was definitely an adjustment period! I didn't snack much persay, but I did use coconut milk in my tea several times daily, so I had some fat coming in rather steadily. Eventually, I found I just didn't need it anymore. I naturally dropped down to just 3 meals, and now (after 13 months) I often eat only twice daily. For the record, I was very active the whole time, and not trying to lose (or gain) weight.
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 10-29-2010 at 11:03 AM.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I'm wondering what's wrong with feeling hungry. Maybe you have to let your body adjust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast