Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me cook up some "tough" steak... page

Primal Babe is offline Senior Member

Help me cook up some "tough" steak...

Primal Fuel
    I recently bought a large order of organic/grass fed Black Angus beef, and I have NO idea why, but the steak isn't so great... not tender at all. Although the ground beef & stewing beef from this order is great! I cooked it the way I usually cook steak (, seared in cast iron pan, then convection oven) and it wasn't so hot. And no, it wasn't overcooked. I have 8 more steaks from this order that i'd prefer not to waste, but want them to actually taste good and not be tough.

Any suggestions for a marinade or other ways to cook them? (I have a lot of food allergies so anything with soy, dairy, etc.. is out).

Thanks!

xntrik is offline Member
    Your best bet would be to cook it sous vide for an extended period of time and then quickly sear it. Other than that, grind it up or use it as stewing meat.

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Ugh that sucks! I am picking up my order from Polyface farms next week and am hoping this doesn't happen to us!!

I agree with xntrik.... sous vide is probably your best bet. If that doesn't work, then use it for stew meat.

I'd also call up the farm/distributor and mention the issue. It's expensive buying that much meat and to get it and not be able to use it as you wanted to because of quality issues is a problem

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    oooh polyface, I'm jealous! I luv Joel Salatin's books! Every once in awhile i daydream of apprenticing on his farm!

@ PrimalBabe - grass finished meat is generally much leaner than traditional - I have a source of grass finished Longhorn meat, and that is even leaner than regular steer. I only made the "mistake" of buying the steaks once, and i just stick to buying ground, or stewing chunks, or big slabs that i cut into little strips & cook fajita style.

Tho i did have a grass finished steak in durango once & it was amazingly tender, so i know it's somehow possible to have a tender grassfed steak but that was a one-off in my experience.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Try marinading it first. Mix oil/acid/flavoring and let it sit in the mix for 8 hours or so before cooking. If it's borderline for being good grilled, this should fix it. Otherwise, I second the stewing recommendation.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    When I marinate steak...I put it in a 1gallon ziplock baggy - then add redwine, oliveoil, liquid smoke, and balsamic vinegar. some times I'll add braggs - but not so much anymore b/c it makes the meat too salty.

one thing you could do is cook it on charcoal - but move all the charcoal to one side, and put the meat on the side that doesn't have the coals - this is indirect cooking and will take longer... you could also quickly sear each side - then put in the oven at a low temp like 250 and let it finish off slowly.

BethanyK is offline Senior Member
    If you don't already, before you marinate it, tenderize it by stabbing it evenly all over with a fork. Make sure you keep the pattern even and relatively close together. Or use a tenderizer mallet, I just find that they smash rather than seperate a little more than I like.

shiggles is offline Senior Member
    I just spoke with the local purveyor of grass-fed beef. She told me you should cook grass-fed beef at 3/4 of the time you cook conventional beef. She also told me that grass-fed beef isn't necessarily leaner, it's just that the fat has a lower melting point than that of conventional beef fat. Take it with a grain of salt, but I'm going to listen to her

croí is offline Senior Member
    I called our local Kroger's just the other day to see if they had grass-fed beef. The butcher warned me that grass-fed would mean a tougher cut of meat.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggles View Post
    I just spoke with the local purveyor of grass-fed beef. She told me you should cook grass-fed beef at 3/4 of the time you cook conventional beef. She also told me that grass-fed beef isn't necessarily leaner, it's just that the fat has a lower melting point than that of conventional beef fat. Take it with a grain of salt, but I'm going to listen to her
    This is what I've found. The fat is there, but it will cook off quick if you're not carefull. Lower your heat and shorten your grilling time. Grass fed is best served rare. This has been my experience, but you may have just gotten a tuff batch of meat. Unlike factory farmed beef, grass fed will be different depending on time of the year, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast