Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: runners 5 k/10 k - nutrition? page

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member

runners 5 k/10 k - nutrition?

I have gradually switched to eating primally most of the time. As I havenīt raced seriously and mainly focused on endurance and slower runs the last months this hasn`t interfered with my workouts yet. For 2011, I am planning to compete again, especially in 5 k races, maybe some 10 k races, those latter mainly as training. I am also planning to take part in the German national master cross-country competition (this is open to everyone, I am not a champion)at the beginning of 2011. Thus I will have to significantly increase my mileage and do some serious speedwork. To those who race at well: Can I stay primal with the exception of intense training days? Will potatoes/sweet potatoes be sufficient to help me with the extra carbs? Any advice?

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    I stayed primal and low carb (<80g/day) throughout my training for the Chicago Marathon. The exception to that were my long run days. Anything over 10 miles I would supplement with sport beans and poweraid zero. I never came out of ketosis.

Good luck!

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    You don't need extra carbs for a 10k, but if you insist, sweet potatoes will be fine

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I try to eat my daily carbs pre/post workout.

doghead is offline Senior Member
    Just up your fat - by a lot. I too am a runner - 10k coming up in a month or so. Never had a need to add carbs, and feel better without them.
    - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

SeanC is offline Member
    I agree with all...I consistantly run 10ks on just eggs and bacon a few hours before.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Have any of you guys who are running 5 and 10kms on low carb tried to up your carbs before/on race day? I know that you say you are doing well, but could it be better?

I want to start running 10kms occasionally again and I am really interested to see how well I will do running for 45mins without tweaking carb levels at all.

max219 is offline Senior Member
    I run 5ks and 10ks competitively, and eat a lot of bananas and sweet potatoes for carbs.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    OK, this may come off more harsh than is actually intended.

It is a 10K. It's not exactly the Iron Man. Eat a banana, and you'll be fine.

Good going with your training,
    Ginger
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by lcme View Post
    Have any of you guys who are running 5 and 10kms on low carb tried to up your carbs before/on race day? I know that you say you are doing well, but could it be better?

I want to start running 10kms occasionally again and I am really interested to see how well I will do running for 45mins without tweaking carb levels at all.
    If I was a competitive runner, I would eat bananas before races. My best time for 5k was 24:47 (40yo). I will never win a race for my age group, so I won't worry about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast