Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: runners 5 k/10 k - nutrition? page 3

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    I run 5k races about twice a year. Being primal/paleo is perfect for these type of races. The sprint work really helps shave off your overall time. And the fact that its only 3 miles isn't too tough on your system compared to trianing for half and full marathons. My diet is essentially full paleo compliant, I still have no grains and I keep my carbs under 100grams per day. Most days under 75 grams. I don't even drink extra water or worry about hydration for running 5k's.
    Your last sentance made me laugh. I love it when I run a 5k and it has 3 water stations peppered throughout the race. Your body has all the fuel it needs for a 5k or 10k due to the intensity you should be able to sustain. Your body simply doesnt have the time or ability to restore glycogen stores at that time.
    I didn't work on my 5k this year and maintained 22min times. I plan on going sub 20 this upcoming year and I think I will be able to do that on less then 12 miles a week. My training before was 50-60 miles a week and way too intense. Running CW promotes way to much quantity and way too little quality in my opinion.

runner_79 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    OK, this may come off more harsh than is actually intended.

It is a 10K. It's not exactly the Iron Man. Eat a banana, and you'll be fine.

Good going with your training,
    Ginger

if your eating a banana pre running, would you add any type of fat to it? and how long before running would you have a banana?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lojasmo View Post
    You don't need extra carbs for a 10k, but if you insist, sweet potatoes will be fine
    +1
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

TradSimplicity is offline Junior Member
    Ok. So I've been browsing MDA and this forum. I'm 29. 180#. 5'6" previous farmer's daughter, never an athlete but able to run after cows that got out. However, I feel incredibly out of shape these days. I'm planning on going primal in the next week's grocery trip. 3 friends and myself have agreed to do relay team for a marathon that equates to a 10K basically. Most of what I've read up to this point outside of MDA tells me to run 3-5 times a week. 30 minutes 4 days and building my mileage the last day AFTER I can run for 30 minutes straight. I'm wondering - can I do PBF to prepare for the 6.5 miles? I have a 5 year old and a 8 month old so if I can do more of my workout in the house during naptime, I'd be super excited. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! My goal is to lose body fat, build muscle, build endurance, and to just complete my 1/4 of the marathon (we do NOT care about our time). Advice please!!! Thanks so much!!!

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lcme View Post
    Have any of you guys who are running 5 and 10kms on low carb tried to up your carbs before/on race day? I know that you say you are doing well, but could it be better?

I want to start running 10kms occasionally again and I am really interested to see how well I will do running for 45mins without tweaking carb levels at all.
    In general, 10k is well below the distance at which you'll deplete your glycogen stores. For most people with some amount of running conditioning, that distance is >10 miles, often in the 15-23 mile range for well-trained runners.

I've only encountered "the wall" once, and that was at half-marathon distance, after a night of excessive uhh... not resting properly in preparation for a long training run.

Some clean carbs may still be useful to help you recover more quickly from training.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    What time of year is the relay? If it's April or later that would be enough time for Primal to prepare you to finish 10k. Keep your easy runs easy and devote one workout day per week to sprint intervals. The other 3 days just run/walk easy for 30 minutes at first and build to 1-hour. If your level of soreness is low and manageable after a few weeks, add a 4th easy day for a total of 5 running/walking workouts per week. Cut a workout per week or rest when you feel you need to. Stress from daily life will greatly subtract from running performance and greatly add to the stress of the workout. Take the day off or lower the amount of time for a workout if the stress level is up. 10k to finish is obtainable on no training. Don't get injured getting ready for it. It's better to be undertrained than having an injury lower the enjoyment of the event. If the relay is coming up late Winter or in March, concentrate more on time on your feet and being able to cover the distance. Run slowly 5 minutes then walk 2-3 minutes to recover, repeat until 30minutes is reached. Build from that point until you can go for an hour without huge afterglow the remainder of the day or following day. Start with 2- 3 workouts per week and build to 4. Be careful. Relays and road races can be fun, social, improve self-appreciation and are habit-forming. Do not ever use them or your training to try and beat yourself down, burn excess calories from a binge or any other form of self-abuse. You will never out run your fork. We all start from somewhere. Keep it positive and it will be a rewarding.

Have an awesome time!

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I'm not much of a runner (and only been primal for about 8 weeks) - I do 2 or 3 slow jogs a week of about 2-3 miles mostly on the flat...although this is just me ticking over the winter months in the UK. I'll start training a bit more when the evenings become a bit lighter.

On Saturday I ran in a very hilly 5K race and pushed much harder than I normally would. I didn't do anything different in terms of fuelling before the race, but I did notice that I was more hungry than normal for the remainder of the day. Would it have been a good idea to have, say, half a sweet potato with lunch?

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    2-3 hours before the race is when you want to eat. 2 hours for a banana, 3-hours for something like a sweet potato drenched in butter and doused with cinnamon which is what I like to eat. I would eat that before a 10k and two like that before a 1/2 marathon. 5k isn't going to burn up all your glycogen regardless of if you burn mostly glycogen and it isn't going to cause a huge calorie burn. Drink a good amount of water right afte the race. Raced properly, it will be very fun and you will be very tired. You get the most out of your interval training kicking it at the end while others start to fade.

Bearfoot is offline Junior Member
    Your body will store enough energy to smash a 5k and 10k, nutrition post workout imo is all you need.
    Eat Clean | Train Mean | Live Lean

TradSimplicity is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @pace2race Thank you for your breakdown training rec'd. The relay is April 29th so I do have enough time. However, I've now run into high liver enzyme levels I've mentioned in another part of the forum. However, I don't think it will effect anything at this point. Time will only tell though. I'm thinking I can only benefit from PB eating and fitness at this point.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123