Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: runners 5 k/10 k - nutrition? page 2

runnerbean is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    5k and 10k races are pretty much all fueled from stored glycogen so you'll want to make sure that this is well topped off before the start. The same applies to most of the training sessions you'd likely do for such a race. Once you start getting up above the hour range (longer if you are fitter and have bigger reserves of glycogen), you'll probably need to eat some carbs to maintain anything better than an endurance pace.
    Given enough time, your body will refill it's glycogen stores from pretty much whatever you eat but it happens faster eating carbs so if you are doing two workouts in a day, it's important to get some carbs in quickly after the first one.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    OK, this may come off more harsh than is actually intended.

It is a 10K. It's not exactly the Iron Man. Eat a banana, and you'll be fine.

Good going with your training,
    Ginger
    Agreed. A banana before the race.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Nasno is offline Senior Member
    I run about 23 miles a week, do 5ks when available, and pushing myself for my first 10k. I add some sweet potato or squash if my runs feel dodgy.

I managed to take 2.5 mins off my 5k time this summer by training under 50g of carbs a day.

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    For those who are suggesting just to consume more fat (which is definitely a good solution here), I just want to add that if you want to primarily use fat for energy, I would recommend keeping your overall diet low-carb so that your body becomes more fat adapted. Of course unlimited fibrous veggies are always a go, but I would severely limit stuff like fruit and sweet potatoes if you go that route.

Here are some relevant medical studies:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7851362
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6865776
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12037719

I would recommend getting some coconut oil before exercise if you go this route, as the medium-chain triglycerides are efficiently metabolized for energy.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    OK, this may come off more harsh than is actually intended.

It is a 10K. It's not exactly the Iron Man. Eat a banana, and you'll be fine.

Good going with your training,

Ginger
    If you need to have a disclaimer, then it was as harsh as intended.

How you fuel a 5km or 10km may make a difference, and I care about that difference. I'm sorry that for you, only competition at the Iron Man level is worthy of fueling consideration

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I have never been unkind or snarky to a single person here (even those who probably deserved it). I did not begin here.

Given the OP's racing background and if she trains properly, she should be able to finish a 10K in 50 minutes or even less. I stand by my earlier comment that a banana would be sufficient for a 50-minute run.

Cheers, lcme.

Ginger
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

SeanC is offline Member
    Just my 2 cents but even before I went primal I stayed away from carbs before a 10k...they just seemed to bloat me. If I race more than an hour is when I will still hit a gel.....it helps tremendously in that case....you can also do it primally with Dates....essentially all sugar there and I have used them with success.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erica057 View Post
    For those who are suggesting just to consume more fat (which is definitely a good solution here), I just want to add that if you want to primarily use fat for energy, I would recommend keeping your overall diet low-carb so that your body becomes more fat adapted. Of course unlimited fibrous veggies are always a go, but I would severely limit stuff like fruit and sweet potatoes if you go that route.

Here are some relevant medical studies:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7851362
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6865776
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12037719

I would recommend getting some coconut oil before exercise if you go this route, as the medium-chain triglycerides are efficiently metabolized for energy.
    For a quick primer on metabolic efficiency, check out Bob Seebohar's book on Metabolic Efficiency for athletes. I have been employing the methods he suggests and I am really starting to feel great on low carb intake and my BF is burning at a higher rate too, which is making my pooch go away in my midsection. My wife used to call me "pooh bear", but she is running out of time to call me that!

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I run 5k races about twice a year. Being primal/paleo is perfect for these type of races. The sprint work really helps shave off your overall time. And the fact that its only 3 miles isn't too tough on your system compared to trianing for half and full marathons. My diet is essentially full paleo compliant, I still have no grains and I keep my carbs under 100grams per day. Most days under 75 grams. I don't even drink extra water or worry about hydration for running 5k's.

Turbochaser is offline Junior Member
    Hey Sonnenblume (and everyone else)! As a longtime runner and serious competitor, I've been impressed with how good I feel training on a high-fat diet. As far as racing goes, I plan on eating more carbs for a couple days before competition (I run everything from the mile through the 10k). Runnerbean said it first, we use glycogen (stored carbs in our muscles and liver) for shorter, more intense work. The 5k and 10k are fast, hard races, not short marathons. Slow and steady will not win them. I think experimenting with one's carb intake before less important races and time trials and noting the results would be a good place to start. Good luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast