Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cramps...what's missing? page

alydar is offline Member

Cramps...what's missing?

Primal Fuel
    Since going primal about 6 weeks ago I've been getting some leg and/or foot cramps at night while sleeping. Interestingly, my mom, who has been following primal for about 3 weeks is experiencing some cramps as well.

I know I'm not eating as many bananas as I did pre-primal ~ could that be it? And I've picked up a bit of a coffee habit and probably should drink more water instead. Maybe that? Thoughts? Is this out of the ordinary?

Thanks!

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    It is often a mixture of different -iums.

Calcium
    potassium
    sodium
    magnesium

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I added magnesium oil and potassium supplements and the cramps went away. This seems to be a pretty common issue when switching and supplementing can be useful.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Make sure you're getting enough potassium.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Yep! Lower carb diets usually cause this in the beginning stages due to magnesium and potassium losses (these are stored with water and you lose water when you drop carbs) a supplement should do the trick

healthymama is offline Member
    I had the very same problem. Am taking potassium, vitamin D and using Swanson's Magnesium oil, which is a spray-on product that I think is helping a lot. The spray-on magnesium is great if regular magnesium pills mess with your digestive system, as they do w/ mine. It's inexpensive, and you can order it through Amazon. Good luck! I know those night-time foot cramps are very painful!

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by NutMeg View Post
    It is often a mixture of different -iums.

Calcium
    potassium
    sodium
    magnesium
    Geraniums
    Nasturtiums
    Pelagoniums
    Euphoniums

Oh, wait, wrong -iums...

Sorry, inappropriate post, just feeling not too bad today for once...
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by TARNIP View Post
    Yep! Lower carb diets usually cause this in the beginning stages due to magnesium and potassium losses (these are stored with water and you lose water when you drop carbs) a supplement should do the trick
    I don't know how good it is, but I use LoSalt for seasoning (66% KCl, 33% NaCl - see http://www.losalt.com/home.html) instead of supplementing with K. Mum's always bought it for Dad, as he's gotta watch that BP!

I dunno whether the 33% NaCl negates any usefulness the K might have, but it's there and I've not had any problems with muscle cramps (well, except the usual womanly muscles, obviously!! PCOS gives you HELLISH PMS!!!)
    La tristesse durera toujours...

mayness is offline Senior Member
    For me, it was magnesium. Now that I take a 400mg magnesium citrate supplement 4-5 times a week (I forget the other days - oops) I don't get ANY cramps at night.

I don't know if they started due to the lower carbs or the higher vitamin D levels, which I've heard can actually make your body require more Mg, for some reason. But now they're gone, yay! =] Magnesium can also help you sleep if it's taken at night.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

doghead is offline Senior Member
    I got the same cramps when I started eating ZC. After a couple weeks, they passed - I think my body was adjusting to different chemical balances somehow.
    - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast