Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Primal Eating Cause Dental Plaque? page

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member

Does Primal Eating Cause Dental Plaque?

Primal Fuel
    I'm not ready to blame this on the PB yet, but I went to the dentist today to have my teeth cleaned, for the first time since going primal and there was considerably more plaque than last time, which was before I went primal.

Wondering what others' experiences may have been with this.

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    What do you eat in a day? Low carb tends to produce less plaque, if I'm not mistaken.
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    I haven't been to the dentist since going primal, but at the end of the day, my teeth feel much, much cleaner than they did while I was eating the SAD. They also aren't nearly as sensitive to hot or cold things.

I eat eggs, nuts, meat, veggies, fruit, whole yoghurt, more or less what Mark suggests. A little chocolate sometimes, 85 percent. Recently reintroduced potatoes, since I was getting too thin, and was a little low on energy. I probably ought to cut back on the nuts, even though I'm doing far less of them than when I first started this thing. edit: oh yeah, bananas, about one a day.

I drink some cherry juice, unsweetened, but still sweet, for my gout.

My teeth are also less sensitive; I noticed that strongly when the dentist tech was scraping them today.

jennf is offline Senior Member
    I've actually found it to be quite the opposite. Far less plaque, and no cavities for the first time in many checkups.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I've found quite the opposite too. I always could scrape off bunches of plaque every 2-3 weeks, but now I can't find a single scrap of the stuff. Last checkup I got my best cleaning score ever, and I hadn't changed anything about how I brush.

I eat a reasonable number of nuts, dairy...very similar to what you listed. I only brush and floss once a day.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Shouldn't have been. I no longer have to brush my teeth. Drives the dentist crazy.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

goingprimal is offline Senior Member
    To the OP - if you are an anomaly than so am I. I also feel my teeth are more 'fuzzy' than in my old non-meat eating days. I have also developed a sensitivity to hard foods on a couple of my teeth on one side where I didn't have one before.

Don't know, but I am working on getting in the habit of brushing more often than before to offset the difference....and crunching on the other side of my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Shouldn't have been. I no longer have to brush my teeth. Drives the dentist crazy.
    Yeah, I can imagine that Grok didn't have toothpaste or anything. IIRC, the WAP foundation stresses the good teeth they found in hunter/gatherer types.

JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    I can only speak from my own experience. I was a strict vegetarian for over two years and during that time I had lots of trouble with my teeth... very weak... fillings falling out and so on. Since switching to a paleo/primal diet I haven't had a single visit to the dentist for almost a year now. It could be merely a coincidence, but I somehow don't think so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast