Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need your advice.... my cholesterol is out of whack page

Jenni39 is offline Junior Member

I need your advice.... my cholesterol is out of whack

Shop Now
    Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help me with a concern about my cholesterol. First, just a few stats.... I'm a 50 year old woman, 5'7', 134 pounds. My weight has been about the same for my entire adult life, I've always been active and I've always tried to eat well (admittedly by CW standards). I started living by the Primal Blueprint a year and a half ago, and I absolutely love it. Today however, I got a report back from my doctor about my cholesterol. HDL is 65, so fine. But my LDL is 164. I told my doctor I was on a paleolithic type nutrition plan and she just raised an eyebrow as if to say.... "I think we know where to lay the blame", because of course, the recommendation is to stop eating saturated fats. I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed. I can't even fathom going back to some sort of low fat, calorie counting "diet", and yet, 164..... it's not good. Any suggestions?

Kvalhion is offline Senior Member
    I am in the same boat, although my HDL was only 40 so I am in worse shape.

Basically you need to read through this thread:

Cholesterol - A Primer (Attempt 2)
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

For me I am taking a good amount of fish oil, vitamin D, a probiotic, exercising, and of course no grains. I am planning a follow up blood test after about 6 weeks have passed to see how I do.

Good luck

peril is offline Senior Member
    Thyroid problems can raise your cholesterol
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    What about your triglycerides? Is your doctor willing to test if your LDL is pattern A or B? 164 is not that high especially if it's pattern A (I think that's the good one) On my lab sheet it says <130 is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie82 View Post
    What about your triglycerides? Is your doctor willing to test if your LDL is pattern A or B? 164 is not that high especially if it's pattern A (I think that's the good one) On my lab sheet it says <130 is good.
    My Triglycerides are 56, which is very good.... weird, huh?

You know, that's really interesting, because the reason I was having my blood work done in the first place was due to concerns about my thyroid. My hair has been thinning and the girl that cuts my hair said I should have my thyroid checked. It came back only slightly elevated at 4.77, but I didn't have a baseline to compare that to, so we're going to do the blood work again in 3 months. I'll do some more research on the link between thyroid and cholesteral. Thank you.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    4.77 is pretty high by today's standards. I would recommend insisting on a free T3 and free T4. There are many hypothyroid and cholesterol experts on the forum who will be able to give you more info.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Eh. You are fine. See griff's cholesterol primer.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Look at your ratios. LDL/HDL = 164/65, or 2.52, where the ideal is 4.3 or below - so what is your doctor smoking? Go read my Cholesterol Primer (in my signature) and be enlightened - your doctor doesn't have a clue.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Karma is offline Senior Member
    4.77 TSH is anythink BUT "normal". Get the additional tests Free t-3, T-4 and Thyroid antibodies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast