Thread: Strength training and appetite? page

emmie is offline Senior Member

Strength training and appetite?

Shop Now
    I'm a 69-year-old female with severe osteoarthritis. For the past 25 years, my exercise has been regular lap swimming and a water exercise program to strengthen my legs.

I recently also began strength work, using the machines in my health club.

My practice has been to eat breakfast at 3 am (my cat gets me up early), work out at 6 am, and have a 'second breakfast' (which is actually lunch) after my workout--focusing on protein.

Since I've been doing strength training, I find that on those days, I seem to be more hungry than usual. Since I'm trying to maintain (after a 160 lb loss), I want to make sure this is actual hunger rather than 'mental' hunger.

I cycle calories, so I can easily make my strength training days higher if necessary.

Anyone know if strength training actually uses more calories?

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    It does for me... by a lot.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Yes, much hungrier. After lifting, your body is a burning machine.

Good for you for taking up weight lifting at 69! I think that's great!

BTW, cats are very trainable. Mine have been trained not to move a whisker until 9 a.m., when I roll out of bed. If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Yes, strength training should make you hungry.

Also, like TigerLily said, cats are smart little beings, my girlfriend has a 16 year old cat, when her mom is around she starts causing a ruckus at 4 a.m. but when she spends the night at her boyfriend's house and my girlfriend is alone in the house the cat (and dog, for what it's worth) don't say a peep until 7 or 8.

Ignore your cat for a bit, and he/she will get the hint. I guess though, if you're going to sleep early enough starting your day at 3 am ain't so terrible. My old man wakes up at that time to go to work but I think he has breakfast around 5-6 am.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    It is real. If you are hungry, eat until full. Repeat as needed.

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Just ask my other half! She knows when it's been squat day because she comes home and is greeted by an empty fridge

But yes, strength training more than anything else will give you a voracious hunger. Satisfy it with a truck-load of protein.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    A big part of being Primal is listening to your body and giving it what it needs. If you are hungry, EAT.

The good thing about strength training is that you can eat a lot, and your body will burn it very quickly.

@iniQuity: Yep, cats are smart....but, more than that, they are little scam artists. Sounds like your GF's cat is no different.
    Last edited by TigerLily; 10-28-2010 at 06:53 PM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates