Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Frustrations page

moderngrokker is offline Junior Member

Early Frustrations

Primal Fuel
    Undoubtedly I haven't given Primal enough time (2 weeks), but I'm frustrated. Out of 14 days I've been 100g of carbs for 12 of them (the days I was over it was by 20g or less). I've been getting in my slow walks, lifting heavy things and a sprint (another one scheduled soon). I did an IF once or twice.

In week 1 I lost weight. And in week two I've actually gained. I have a couple of ideas of where to attribute it to but I wanted to see what others had to say.
    1) I'm not always getting up to my calories per day. Thing about Primal is I'm just not as hungry!
    2) I haven't cut out dairy but I think I'm about to. But I don't eat a lot of it to begin with because I'm allergic.
    3) I'm female and therefore this is just going to be harder.

What can I do? What am I doing wrong? I'm in this for the long haul and I'm trying to be patient but I cannot handle gaining weight when I'm doing everything "right" HELP!
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    Carb intake seems too high and that you're trying to maintain eating them. Remember the general rule is 50-100 for weight loss and 100-150 for maintenance. Which range do you think you're in?

100 grams creeping up to 120 is really maintenance range and you won't lose much doing that.

The thing with the ranges are is that they are guidelines. You have to find out what works for you. Try decreasing to 50 grams for a week and see what happens.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    How much are you looking to lose? What's your goal?

I really think IFing this early is asking for self-sabotage. IFing should only be introduced once you are stable and happy with all the other aspects of primal, particularly thinks like playing more. Make sure this is FUN, not a white-knuckle experience.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

I'm staying in 50-100 range 85% of the time. And am often far closer to 50 than I am 100. I don't know how to get to below 50 without fasting because even on days when I'm not eating ANYTHING resembling a carb it adds up.

To Liz- I'm looking to lose around 40 pounds. I appreciate your input. I do think the "play" is missing somewhat, and although I'm really enjoying getting outdoors more, I have been doing a lot of variety of movement.
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Can you give us a list of everything you ate yesterday (assuming it wasn't an IF day) and maybe we can help tweak it?

I'm effortlessly around 75g carbs. I eat almost no fruit (just occasionally a handful of raspberries), some onions & tomatoes, lots of broccoli & spinach, and a fair amount of full fat dairy (whole milk, cream, cheese, butter).

I definitely wouldn't fast to hit the carb-target. That's not sustainable in the long run (although, skipping a meal because you're just not hungry is a different matter...if you fall into a pattern where 2 meals a day is ample nutrition, that seems OK. IF feels more intentional than that to me.)
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Thanks so much. This is a "typical Primal day" for me

Breakfast: 2 eggs with spinach and bacon and salsa
    Lunch: Huge salad with lettuce, spinach, beets, artichoke hearts, celery, cucumber, jicama, hard-boiled eggs, feta, carrots, broccoli, chicken, sunflower seeds with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
    Dinner: Chicken breast with salsa and broccoli with butter
    Dessert: A very small amount of dark chocolate

Something I realized in this is that I haven't a "typical" day in a few days. I tend to skip meals on weekends and I've been cheating (re: processed foods, it is Halloween after all) more than I want to admit to :/

afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    Seems like you need more fat. I'd add a good share of Extra Virgin Olive Oil in your diet. Up the eggs too perhaps to get that good fat, cooked in bacon grease or more butter! I'd stop eating the beets and other root vegetables that you are eating. Lots of carbs/sugar. Many people say that your fat intake should be between 60-70% of your daily calories. Eat more red meat. For example, yesterday I had one pound of beef, it was my workout day so I eat more calories.

It's hard to go cold turkey with PB. I did it at first and feel a couple of times with a pint or two of ice cream...... That was in summer. Eliminate grains and most sugars and see how you do. For a treat, don't be afraid to endulge into the more gray areas of primal like full-fat greek yogurt with berries, etc.... just be concious of the carbs/sugar.

Hope this helps.

Are you really only getting 120g carbs even on cheat days?

I'd suggest cutting out the cheating entirely, since you're only 2 weeks in. You'll be alive NEXT Halloween. Indulge then (if you're still Primal, chances are you won't want to anyway). This year, steer clear or (if that's just impossible to contemplate) give up on Primal until Nov 1st.

Hope that helps!
    Liz.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Okay, here's just some of my standard thoughts on starting out. (Some of this is stuff I've gleamed from others in their journeys, some from mine. Keep in mind I am a female, older and have thyroid/adrenal issues, so my opinions may come from that point of view!)

1. Do you measure? Here's the thing... the "weight" on the scale can stay still or go up and you can be losing fat, gaining muscle and losing inches. I hear it time and time again, and have seen it myself when I was younger... I was trim, but 140 and felt "fat"... yet I had not much fat and had a LOT of muscle (I used to dance)... so the # on the scale doesn't always equal anything having to do with anything. I suggest you take measurements, and then use that to see gains (and don't weight/measure all of the time either... unless you can be completely impartial about what that number says/means... for example, if you are up 3 pounds and can say hey, that's probably water from eating that wheat something or other the other day and let it go, then fine. Otherwise, I'd drop it.

2. Eat more fat. Doesn't have to be a lot at all... not saying jump in it and bathe. But fat is going to become your fuel, so you need to give the body enough so that it realizes it doesn't have to hang on to the fat in your body anymore. The olive oil on the salad is muy bueno... and the buttah... I suggest maybe adding some avocado in there as well.

3. Do you track your macronutrients at all? Not that you should HAVE to, but... if you're doing this well and don't see things it can be a helpful tool to see what's really going on there. It could be that your carbs are over what you think... by a good amount. Or you're eating more calories than you think... or less... or less fat, etc. It's just a good idea to check it out. Plus, you can track your vitamins as well (D, potassium, magnesium, calcium, etc.) and see how your'e doing there.

4. I wouldn't IF for quite a while. You need to give your body time to adjust to the lack of processed carbs, and to burning fat for a while before you throw in an IF. I found it came sort of naturally, and I don't do it on any "schedule". Most of the time for me what happens is I don't get hungry for breakfast until 9 or 10 a.m. So I wait until then to eat. Then I might eat dinner at 4 or 5 (depending on the day) and am usually not hungry after that. Tends to give me a regular 17 hours of no eating and 7 hour eating window. But if I'm hungry another time... I eat. (I do take a good look to make sure it's hunger and not boredom or habit, etc....first.)

And lastly... do you think you might have some underlying health issues that need to be resolved? Anything from undiagnosed hypothyroid or adrenal issues to vitamin deficiencies can hamper weight loss. PB will definitely help balance things out, but sometimes that can take time... especially if the problems are deep-seated and came from many years of not eating nutritionally dense food. And some, you may have to check out eventually.... such as Vitamin D deficiency which is super common and can cause a lot of physical issues. (Cillakat has a great document in her signature line with tons of info on that, it's a great read!)

Anyway... these are just some thoughts as you're getting started. I know that just coming up on a year of Primal soon, that I'm just now getting a lot of stuff together... eating well, getting my nutrients in, really not cheating very often at all. A lot of this took time...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Thank you Minxxa, I really appreciate your feedback. I do measure but I'm trying to give it time. I can usually tell based on how I'm feeling, but I guess I was hoping for more. I won't IF for a while, I do track my macronutrients, and I'll try to get more "good fat".

I recently had my thyroid tested because I had a number of symptoms and I have a serious family history of thyroid problems. I was sqaurely in the middle of normal. I have other health issues I'm working on but I will see what more info I can find.

And I will be patient. Thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast