Thread: First ever primal fitness session with a trainer today... page

lizch is offline Senior Member

First ever primal fitness session with a trainer today...

My fitness regime so far has consisted of lots of walking, some Jazzercise, and a conscious effort to use my muscles more (eg. load up a shopping basket rather than wheel a cart).

One of my childbirth class couples runs a local gym (one of those really small, personalized places) and gave me a free session. The guy brought up Mark's name in class before I had said anything at all!

So, my question....any thoughts on what I should aim to get out of a single session like this? I to learn to do a pull up. That's about the only "goal" I can think of. Any suggestions for other areas of focus? I'm not aiming to lose weight.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Not to be discouraging, but you're probably not going to get a pull-up on your first session. Your goal should be to learn as much as possible while getting a thorough workout. If you like the trainer and feel like they know their stuff, you should do a few more sessions.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    Not to be discouraging, but you're probably not going to get a pull-up on your first session. Your goal should be to learn as much as possible while getting a thorough workout. If you like the trainer and feel like they know their stuff, you should do a few more sessions.
    Oh, I know...it was more getting tips on HOW to progress toward a pull up. I don't think this guy is a magician who could get me from no vertical movement whatsoever to suddenly being able to peer over the bar
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    I would start on the parts of you that you want to tone.

Whatever you do, have fun!!

Morff is offline Junior Member
    I have to agree with Al. Tell the trainer what you goals for yourself are. Since your friend seems to be familiar with the primal blueprint she (or he) will probably be able to get you started in an exercise routine (ya I said it “routine”) you can use until you learn more about exercise and can develop your own ideas. As for a pull up. As you get stronger over all I think you will be surprised at how your strength has improved in lifting things pushing things and pulling things. Yes that includes doing your first pull up, I’m sure you’ll be doing more than one in no time.

I think that's the thing...I'm at a loss for what my goals are. It's been easy up till now...lose weight. Well, I've done that! If I were a guy, the next step would probably be clearer--build up some muscles. I don't mind if that's what happens, but it isn't a goal of mine to get all muscular, or even more toned than I already am. That's why something like a pull up is sort of interesting...I'd get a measure of success because I'd have a specific aim.

Reminds of a business dilemma....I volunteered for years at a local birth center, when the business was tenuous and it was a weekly battle to pay the bills and keep the doors open. In the last 4 years, the business has boomed, and it makes for a much less obvious set of goals. "Stay afloat" is a much starker focus than "Expand the current birth center? Create a whole new one? Pocket the profits?"

Anyway, back to fitness...I did have my first session. Lots of fun, ache like CRAZY today. Learnt some new tips on form. I'll probably go back a few more times for the fun if not for specific outcomes.
    Liz.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Liz, you need a goal and something to work towards.

How about doing a woman's-only short-distance triathlon, such as the Danskin? Lemme tell you, it is totally life changing and you will be crying most of race day because you will be overcome with so much emotion. The first time you get "marked up" (have your race numbers written on your body by race officials) is truly a moment of zen. It is very doable; if you prepare properly, as a first-timer, you should be able to do the whole thing in about 1-1/2 hours (give or take). It's all ages and sizes, and there's a special category for women who have cancer. It's a very supportive, uplifting environment.

One of the biggest gifts I've ever been granted was the (seismic!) shift from exercising merely to lose weight (and hating it, punishing my body).... to event training. For the first time ever, the goal was to cross a finish line, and to finish strong....not some ridiculous number on a scale.

My training goal is to finish the Danskin in Seattle in August 2011. Right now, I cannot even walk to my mailbox, after a severe injury. But I WILL be there in Seattle in August!
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

TigerLily, that is truly food for thought.

I've always had three reasons for not being interested in triathlons: I'm dangerously uncoordinated on a bike, dislike swimming, and hate running.

But...turns out I probably don't hate running, I just hate running in clunky workout shoes. If THAT can change, maybe all the rest can too? One of the things I'm enjoying about the PB is opening my mind to possibilities I had written off (ranging from butter to running!)

How far do you bike/run/swim in short Triathlon? I assumed they were all like the Ironman, where you run a marathon, bike 100 miles and swim 20. But clearly that's not happening in 90 minutes
    Liz.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Liz - Like yourself, I am very happy with the way that my body looks, so my fitness goals are mostly skill related as opposed to aesthetic. I'm not interested in changing the way my body looks, but rather what it can do. For example, one of my objectives for a while now has been training do to a planche.

As for triathlons (good suggestion, Tigerlily!), there are short distance triathlons which commonly consist of 750 meter swim (less than half a mile), 20k bike (about 12.5 miles) and 5k run (about 3.1 miles).
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Melody is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree that a goal will really help. That is actually the first thing they asked me for when I joined my gym.