Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biotin Supplement page

yodiewan is offline Senior Member

Biotin Supplement

Primal Fuel
    I'm probably being hypochondriac(al?) and stringing together some symptoms that I have had, but I think I might somehow be biotin deficient. I'm planning to pick up a supplement on the way home today, but am not sure what to look for as far as the form it is in/ the source. From what I could find some is made from brewer's yeast (do I need to worry about gluten) and there is d-biotin. Cillakat, I know you probably have this covered in your links, but I can't get them to load from my current location (work). Any suggestions on what to look for?

Thanks in advance.

Bump!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I'm probably being hypochondriac(al?) and stringing together some symptoms that I have had, but I think I might somehow be biotin deficient. I'm planning to pick up a supplement on the way home today, but am not sure what to look for as far as the form it is in/ the source. From what I could find some is made from brewer's yeast (do I need to worry about gluten) and there is d-biotin. Cillakat, I know you probably have this covered in your links, but I can't get them to load from my current location (work). Any suggestions on what to look for?

Thanks in advance.
    biotin is easy breezy lemon squeezy. you should be okay with whatever form you can find. Cheap is totally fine.

I tend to do about 1mg/1000mcg per day in the form of a capsule or lozenge. Plain powder is also fine - and it's tasteless.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Here's the one I use:

Now Foods, Biotin 5,000 mcg
    http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Bioti...Vcaps/447?at=0

According to the following resource, it's very unlikely to harm yourself by taking too much biotin:

Linus Pauling Institute Micronutrient Research Center: Biotin
    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/biotin/

Fwiw, it seems to be having a positive effect for me... my previously-thick hair has become "remarkably thick and healthy" according to my hairdresser, and my nails are strong and grow very quickly.
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 10-28-2010 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks cillakat! I was hoping you, as the resident supplement expert, would reply.
    Thanks to you also Kate.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    I just started last night with 300g tablets. I'm going to work up to 1mg with those.

Just a warning, if you google "acne" + "biotin" there are a lot of people, clear-skinned and not, that get breakouts from biotin supps. That said, there are a lot of people that seem to do fine. I'm just going to be on the lookout for sudden changes in my skin.

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    Can I ask what symptoms / reasons there are for taking biotin supplements? It's not something I know anything about.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I took biotin supplements for quite a while, hoping they'd help with my splitting, peeling nails (and thinning hair). All they did was make my hair grow FASTER, and because I wear it short, it meant more frequent haircuts. It did nothing for my nails, but many people find it helps them.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    I took biotin supplements for quite a while, hoping they'd help with my splitting, peeling nails (and thinning hair). All they did was make my hair grow FASTER, and because I wear it short, it meant more frequent haircuts. It did nothing for my nails, but many people find it helps them.
    YAY! I'm taking this to help my hair grow faster. I hope that it will be enough to notice a difference.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Hi there, I'm thinking of taking Biotin for my thinning hair. Just wondering if anyone has noticed a difference? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast