Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee and weight loss page

afsjesse is offline Senior Member

Coffee and weight loss

OK, I know this is opening a can of worms, but what is your opinion? Does having coffee prohibit/inhibit weightloss on any level?

I usually haver 12-16 oz everyother day.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    No, coffee (assuming we're talking black here and not a lb of sugar that's been dissolved in just enough hot water to get it liquefied and then mixed together with half a cup of cream) should not inhibit weight loss at all and the caffeine should give you a slight boost. Martin from leangains for example is a big coffee drinker.

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    I lost 100lbs and I'm a heavy coffee drinker, though I recently switched to all decaf.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Heavy coffee drinker here, no adverse effects with weightloss. Nothing but black coffee for me.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianne View Post
    I lost 100lbs and I'm a heavy coffee drinker, though I recently switched to all decaf.
    It sounds like you're a lot lighter coffee drinker than you used to be. The decaffeination process can involve weird chemicals. I stick to caffeinated green tea over decaf just to avoid the additional processing and chemicals involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decaffeination

Tara is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    It sounds like you're a lot lighter coffee drinker than you used to be. The decaffeination process can involve weird chemicals. I stick to caffeinated green tea over decaf just to avoid the additional processing and chemicals involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decaffeination

I love this forum, literally learn something new every day. I had no idea about the Decaf process! Thanks for enlightening me

As for the original question, I feel like coffee would HELP me lose weight if anything, if I have a cup in the morning (black, or with some cream) I find that I stay feeling full for longer than if I had skipped it

Quote Originally Posted by Tara View Post
    I love this forum, literally learn something new every day. I had no idea about the Decaf process! Thanks for enlightening me

As for the original question, I feel like coffee would HELP me lose weight if anything, if I have a cup in the morning (black, or with some cream) I find that I stay feeling full for longer than if I had skipped it
    Very true, as I understand it, caffeine works a mild appetite suppressant.

Tara is offline Senior Member
    Good to know that it's not just in my head!

Also studies have shown that certain amount of caffeine roughly 30 minutes before cardiovascular exercise, especially sprint circuits, will aid in the weight loss process. I believe, it is in fact part of one of Lyle Mcdonalds routines.

Jason VT is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Nora Gedgaudas claims that drinking coffee spikes your need for glycogen making you a "sugar burner" and therefore: not a "fat burner". I don't know how true that is, but if you're having trouble losing those last 10 pounds then maybe cutting coffee (or caffeine, more appropriately) may make sense.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast