Thread: Microwave ovens page

MonkeyGuy is offline Member

Microwave ovens

Primal Fuel
    I used to avoid microwaves as much as possible, but I'm single and often only cook for myself, and find the microwave makes things a lot easier, especially with cleanup.

Anyone see a problem with microwave usage?

Typically, I will heat my veggies in a bowl in the microwave, and also cook bacon in it (I find the best tasting, crispiest bacon comes out of the microwave!)
    http://healthymindfitbody.com
    "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

PeteTheMeat is offline Member
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/microwave-safety/

I don't personally choose to stress out about whatever radiation is emitted or how much nutrition is zapped away. However, next time you grill a steak and microwave the leftovers the next day, think about which tastes juicy and flavorful and which is crunch-spongy and unappetizing.

labbygail is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure it's a myth that it zaps out your nutrients. I don't remember where I read this, sorry, but microwave cooking actually preserves nutrients in vegetables because it requires almost no additional water.

PeteTheMeat is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by labbygail View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's a myth that it zaps out your nutrients. I don't remember where I read this, sorry, but microwave cooking actually preserves nutrients in vegetables because it requires almost no additional water.
    Right, I don't believe that it destroys nutrition either, but I didn't want to dismiss it out of hand because, you know... "the debate rages on!!!"

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    I use a microwave basically everyday and I have no problems

MonkeyGuy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteTheMeat View Post
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/microwave-safety/

I don't personally choose to stress out about whatever radiation is emitted or how much nutrition is zapped away. However, next time you grill a steak and microwave the leftovers the next day, think about which tastes juicy and flavorful and which is crunch-spongy and unappetizing.
    Actually I disagree that it causes a spongy texture. My bacon comes out nice and crispy when I make it in the microwave, even better than on a pan.
    http://healthymindfitbody.com
    "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

K.ROB is offline Senior Member
    It can change your food on a molecular level or whatever. I will have to find this article i have. It will even change your water.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K.ROB View Post
    It can change your food on a molecular level or whatever. I will have to find this article i have. It will even change your water.
    Cooking a piece of steak in a pan will also change it on the molecular level.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Mercola has a few articles on radiation cooking

bUMbLeB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K.ROB View Post
    With respect, I doubt it; molecular water is 2H for every O, and unless your microwave is making deuterium, it's just making hot water.

That said, my microwave started to die right as I went primal, so I got rid of it. I only used it to reheat leftovers, & I'm glad it's gone; I have more counterspace, and heating in my cast iron pans just gives me an excuse to add more butter and fat.