Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hungry and Happy.... page

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

So, a couple of days ago, a buddy was teasing me for spending the money for a grass-fed steak at "Whole Paycheck". You see, I'm between jobs, and I don't have a lot of money right now.

I explained I was eating better, and taking care of myself---instead of eating a buncha crap (which I can't afford, in oh, so many ways!). I think he finally understood, but I can't be sure.

Today, I wasn't super hungry when I woke up, so I decided to go for my daily walk a little early. As I walked past the Halal market where I buy my meat, I poked my head in and observed that they had some beautiful Goat ribs. I though about things for a few seconds, then went in and bought three pounds.

Now, that pretty much represents my total food budget for the day, but I thought, "What the hell, let's make it an IF day!"

Now the ribs are slowly cooking, and smell wonderful. I'm just shaking my head, wondering at the tranformation of this girl who a month ago, was snacking every hour or so, feeling fat, tired and miserable.

I'm SO looking forward to dinner tonight, and enjoying the benefits of a lovely IF all day.

If there's a better way to live...I can't imagine it!

maba is offline Senior Member

I wish I could join you for dinner. Goat meat has to be my favoritest meat. Need to make a run to the Halal store soon. Kuno, do you know if goat is pastured here in the US?

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

I haven't been fasting today but I'm drooling at the thought of those ribs! Enjoy!

@DaveFish----if they turn out well, I'll post up a quick recipe ;-)

@maba----We're lucky here, there are quite a few farms doing just that in Northern California. My dinner came from Stockton, but I'm willing to bet you can find someone closer to you doing grass-fed/pastured.

(Wish you could join me, too!)

Here's a cool link I found about goat meat in general:

http://www.jackmauldin.com/la_times.htm

maba is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the link Kuno. I had no idea goat meat was that popular. I thought only people from South Asia, Mid-east and Africa ate goat meat. I have to ask the owner of my Halal meat store where he gets his meat from. If it's pastured, I bet I can ask him to give me some fat and all the organs meats.

NeoPaleo is offline Junior Member

I had never heard of "Halal" until just now. I just googled it and so now I know what it means. And I see that there's a Halal market in the city where I live. Are the meats sold there typically organic and/or grass-fed? Perhaps most goat is just grass-fed "by default" here in the U.S. - much like lamb?

Neo,

I thank most goat here is mostly pastured, since they thrive on brush, weeds and thorn bushes.

I can't speak for all of the Halal markets, but mine has a lot of pastured options for all of their meats.

I don't think you can use a bunch of antibiotics and hormones on Halal meats, and the Koran says you need to take good care of your animals to avoid having them suffer...so that's a good start in any case.

You might want to go down and ask them in person; they'll be very proud of their products, and tell you all about them ;-)

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

I'm going to look for a Halal market in Denver. The meat will probably be cheaper than what you pay at Whole Foods and as good a quality.

Dave,

YAY! Have fun, and don't forget to pick up some spices and stuff while you're there...maze karein!

(Bon Apetit)

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Kuno, how do you feel when you fast? I can't imagine doing it, I absolutely hate feeling hungry. You don't ever experience lightheadedness, a decrease in mental clarity, or a lack of energy? Would you ever exercise during a fast? I feel like if I don't eat enough calories before a workout, I am drained and can't really PUSH it the way I'd like to...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast