Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hungry and Happy.... page 2

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Jess,

I've been feeling great, actually. The last couple hours my stomach has been growling, but I think that's from smelling dinner cooking.

I haen't tried doing any heavy lifting on my IF days, but walking up and down hills, etc. feels just fine.

I think you probably just are naturally burning WAY more cals than I am.

NeoPaleo is offline Junior Member

I've noticed that on the days I fast (not eating anything for breakfast, or for breakfast and lunch), I'm fine as long as I keep busy. If I'm just sitting in front of my computer bored, then I just keep thinking about food.

I remember one weekend I was SO HUNGRY by about 11am or noon, but I had been pretty bored all morning. So I went out to my nearest park and did some trail-sprints and hiked around a bit and my hunger totally went away and didn't come back until it was just about dinner time.

Plus, I think it's not as bad if I eat a BIG dinner the night before too.

But I remember before eating primal, I'd get such a headache if I didn't eat something within an hour of getting up - I guess it was a carb-withdraw headache or something.

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

Physical activity is the best appetite suppressant around. Sometimes I'm hungry before a workout but afterwards it takes a while before the hunger kicks in again.

sofiawahaj Guest

Kuno - my dad loves goat too and he is coming here tonight for a visit, so I will have to visit the Indian mart (and pass by the tea biscuits untouched!). I think I will make turai gosht (squash meat). Yum! Oh, and I am so proud of you for fasting! Sometimes I can skip breakfast or lunch, but I have not been able to not eat when I feel hungry. Granted, my hunger is totally different now. I am more in control than I use to be on a carb diet, but I still recognize hunger and I just like to deal with it (ie eat) and get it over with. I don't like to keep thinking about food.

AndreaC is offline Member

Some may call it cheating, but, I love water with a slice of lemon in it.

When I first started fasting I had it all the time because I happened to buy lemons. Then I forgot for a while and fasting started to kind of suck. I was still alert and smarter than usual, but I was a bit hungry and missed food (counted the minutes until it was time to stop).

So maybe try (cheating) lemon in your water.

Being low carb and grain-free for a week or two before fasting also helps.

@sofia:

Thanks for the kind words, and all the support!

Turai Gosht sounds amazing...please oh please post the recipe sometime?

Give your dad a hug for me, and save one for yourself.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

But, isn't appetite an important cue to, you know, EAT? Why should we ignore it or try to supress it if the hunger is real and the body is asking for food and energy?..

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

Jess: Fasting, like low carbing, teaches you to recognize the difference between real hunger and false -- the latter being when you eat because you're bored, because it's a certain time of day, etc. Do I technically "fast" all the time because I typically eat only once a day? I have no idea. For the most part I eat when I'm hungry, but when I decide to skip a meal for whatever reason, I know it won't make me keel over or even feel bad -- heck, after the dentist last week I went over 48 hours until I felt comfortable enough to chew

Jess,

I used to be a snack addict---I actually felt like I might die if I didn't eat something every 2 or 3 hours. Of course, at that point, my diet was whack, so that might have been close to the truth ;-)

But I'm still learning how to tell if it's that my BODY needs food, or just my mind WANTING food.

So for me, an IF is just a chance to play around and see what I can learn. If I'm feeling super hungry...and I go out and have a walk...if the feeling goes away, my body didn't really need food in the first place. If I start feeling dizzy or weak, by all means I will chow down.

If you've been in touch with what your body really needs, as you seem to be, just do what feels right :-)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Goat is great! As someone said above, we can be confident that it is pastured or fed scraps, but not grains. Wonderful animals for livestock, too bad I could never stomach the milk. Oh, well.

Lamb is a decent alternative as far as never being feedlotted. Had some tonight. See post on lamb chops with balsamic reduction. Incredible.

Ever hear the Middle Eastern quip, "Might as well hang for a sheep as a goat?" Sheep are worth more, so if you are going to, say, steal a goat, you might as well go for the sheep.

Baaaaaah!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast