Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: So sick of salad page 4

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Fine-shredded, steamed kale is a respectable pasta substitute, too.

For years I gave up on it because in supermarkets it's always pre-cut - and they always leave the stem in. So unless you spend about 20 minutes removing the stem from each little bit, you're going to get either woody stem or soggy leaf, or both if you're really lucky... Solution: market stalls selling the whole plant, so you can rip out the stem in one go. Also, it keeps better.

(OT - that's just one more to add to a series of supermarket mysteries. Why do they not sell Romanesco cauliflower? Or purple cauliflower? Why, when chard's in season, do they not sell chard? Why no squashes other than the deathly-boring butternut squash? Visiting only supermarkets, you'd think none of these things existed...)

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primarilyprimal View Post
    Misabi>> Oh thanks for the info regarding where to buy kale! I've really been wanting to make some kale chips, but couldn't find it anywhere
    No worries

It is a little hit and miss though, even at Huckleberry Farm. Last week they didn't have any & this week they only had the nero kale and no curly kale.
    Curly is a bit tougher and holds up to cooking better if you like a bit of crunch, whereas the nero kale is softer and wilts quite quickly so easier to over cook, but better to eat raw.
    Last edited by Misabi; 11-02-2010 at 02:10 AM.

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    Even before going primal I ate salads like 4-5 times a week. I kind of got burned out of them a few months ago.

My go-to lunch now is either meatloaf with a bit of yam and some guacamole, or like a meat sauce with ground beef and tomato sauce, some spices, peppers, etc. They're just so easy to make, sometimes I even whip up a batch of the meat sauce in the morning while making the kids a lunch.

The meatloaf especially, is just so easy. Mix up ground beef, an egg, garlic, salt & pepper, bit of worcestershire sauce, and huck into a small pan and pop it in the oven at 350 for an hour and 15 mins or so. I can prep one in under 5 minutes easy.

Plus it's mostly meat, which is way awesomer than vegetables.
    This sounds great Bane. Can I ask about the beef/egg/worcestershire sauce ratios? I am dying to find something to start having breakfast again and this could be it!

Rip City is offline Senior Member
    I do a very similar one...1lb of ground beef with 1 or two eggs, garlic, onion (1/2 at most), approx 2T worcestershire, I like to also mix in about 1/2 lb of sausage, same cooking temp/time that Bane suggests.

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip City View Post
    I do a very similar one...1lb of ground beef with 1 or two eggs, garlic, onion (1/2 at most), approx 2T worcestershire, I like to also mix in about 1/2 lb of sausage, same cooking temp/time that Bane suggests.
    Thanks!!

brooki is offline Member
    Thanks everyone, that is fabulous. I am going to try a lot of these ideas. Majority of the time the salad has the leftover meat from dinner but I never cook enough veges.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234