Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting over the hump page

goingprimal is offline Senior Member

Getting over the hump

Primal Fuel
    OK - maybe this has been posted on before, but I haven't found it: how do you get motivated to exercise? My main motivation my whole life has been to get thin and to feel healthy. I feel healthy and am relatively slim right now - without exercise. I want to start a fitness plan though. Has anyone else gone through this? How do you get yourself motivated to start?

I like exercise once I have started, but getting there is proving to be difficult without the "I feel fat" catalyst....
    Last edited by goingprimal; 10-27-2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I'm (sort of) dealing with that. I'm thin enough, but with more jiggle than I want. Maybe find a goal? Like being able to do x push-ups, pull-ups and squats? Maybe find a workout video from some other Primals, and say "I want to be able to do THAT" and do it, until you can do it like them.

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    +1

Instead of looking at fitness as work, look at it as improvement.

goingprimal is offline Senior Member
    Diana, that is a great idea. I HAVE always wanted to do a pull-up (or chin-up - either one really) and have NEVER been able to do it. I remember in the 'Presidential Fitness Test' in elementary school, I could run a seven minute mile no problem, do all the situps and pushups they wanted, but 0 pull-ups, even then. That is something to shoot for!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Finding a goal is a great motivator. Like many of you guys/girls that want to achieve a pull-up I’m working towards a Muscle Up (Al Kavadlo explains: http://www.alkavadlo.com/2009/11/muscle-ups/) so that’s my main motivator to do weighted chin ups, weighted dips, and train things like explosive pull-ups as Al recommends, and other such exercises.

Once I achieve the muscle up, I guess I’ll just do more of them, and start the road to another bodyweight feat. I was able to do a pistol pretty early on and with minimal leg training (much to my surprise) but it’s still very wobbly so another goal is tightening that up and getting more (good) reps. Lastly, I want to get a free-standing handstand and hold that for as long as I can. Balancing work is really cool and inspirational to me. It’s all about goals, training just to look good can be a goal, but it’s less tangible than being able to do X and Y.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    I completely understand what you mean... finding the motivation is the tricky part.... you know you should do something but for some reason you just cant get off your ass to do it...

How about the 100 pushup challenge...
    http://hundredpushups.com/

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goingprimal View Post
    Diana, that is a great idea. I HAVE always wanted to do a pull-up (or chin-up - either one really) and have NEVER been able to do it. I remember in the 'Presidential Fitness Test' in elementary school, I could run a seven minute mile no problem, do all the situps and pushups they wanted, but 0 pull-ups, even then. That is something to shoot for!
    I'm still working on getting that first one myself. OMG it's hard! It'll be a great challenge for you. Right now my challenge is to go through all 3 levels of 30 Day Shred again, since I've gotten soft over the last several months.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    martial arts can be an intense & varied workout, you learn self-defense skills, train w/others, and have the different belts to move through as motivation....

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I think about what I need to be strong enough to do.

I'm 5'3" and female. Every summer, I need to stack 25 tons of hay in 100 pound bales, 6-8 levels high. By myself.

Excuse me while I head to my gym!

ETA: Having a nice butt comes in handy at times, too.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

jasonph is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    "strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful than weak people"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast