Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Primal PCOS'ers? page 9

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Required Iodine
    * Our body requires both iodine AND iodide (lugols iodine & iodoral capsules recommended)
    - - - Iodine is used by the prostate + Stomach
    - - - Iodide (SSKI) is used by the thyroid + skin + Salivary
    - - - kidneys, spleen, liver, blood, breasts & intestines can use either form
    Thyroid needs 3% prefers iodide (50mg iodine)
    Skin needs 20% and prefers iodide
    Salivary Glands prefer iodide
    Muscles (650mg) and fat needs(700mg iodine) 70%
    Breast tissue needs 3-5 mg / day minimum and prefers iodine
    Prostate prefers iodine
    Stomach prefers iodine
    Lungs prefer iodide
    Entire body stores 1500 mg 1.5 gm total
    * Dr Brownstein Recommended supplements = Lugols Liquid or iodoral 12 or 50 mg caps
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-instructions

Dr. Michael Donaldson:
    ==================
    Other organs are also able to take up iodine, too, by the same transport protein as the
    thyroid. Research has shown that the receptor for iodine uptake is in the thyroid gland,
    salivary gland, parotid gland, submandibular gland, pituitary gland, pancreas, testis,
    mammary gland, gastric mucosa, prostate, ovary, adrenal gland, heart, thymus, lung, (3)
    bladder, kidney, endometrium,(4) and also breast, ovary and colon (5) and the lacrimal
    gland (6). The ovaries hold the second highest concentration of iodine, after the thyroid.
    The breasts also have a high concentration of iodine. Most secretions in the body,
    whether gastric, nasal, tears, sweat, etc., have iodine in them if sufficient iodine is present
    in the body. The skin also contains quite a bit of iodine, though its exact role isn’t clear.
    Dr. Flechas tells that clinically the ability to sweat is related to iodine and extremely low
    2body iodine stores prevent sweating, opening the body to the spread of cancer (7). Many
    of the functions of iodine are separate from its role as part of thyroid hormones. Iodine
    has a major impact on the thyroid, but it will also have a direct impact on all of the other
    tissues of the body that utilize iodine.
    Now we will look at different glands and systems of the body that are affected by iodine
    in more detail.

Ovaries
    ================
    After the thyroid gland the ovaries contain the highest concentration of iodine. Dr.
    Flechas has seen that iodine reverses polycystic ovarian syndrome. Ghent and Eskin
    reported the reversal of ovarian cysts with iodine (30), along with reversal of
    endometriosis and prementstrual syndrome.
    Iodine is necessary for normal ovarian
    function. Dr. Jonathan Wrights reports that iodine elevates the amount of anticarcinogenic estriol made and lowers the amount of estrone and estradiol, so that the
    three forms of estrogen are more balanced in favor of cancer prevention. (31)
    In the process of treating fibrocystic breast disease Ghent and Eskin also found that the
    elemental iodine was also an effective treatment for endometriosis, ovarian cysts, and
    premenstrual syndrome (30). Iodine appears to normalize ovarian function and estrogen
    production to alleviate these female problems as well. More here:
    http://www.hacres.com/pdf/documents/..._Nutrition.pdf

Grizz

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    If you want, under the Forum General Settings you can Edit your Ignore List and enter in Grizz and then at least you don't have see what he posts.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
    If you want, under the Forum General Settings you can Edit your Ignore List and enter in Grizz and then at least you don't have see what he posts.
    Thanks for that. These posts are getting old. As we all know, there is no cure for PCOS. Excessive amounts of iodine can be harmful. For me, eating low carb has done the most for controlling my PCOS. I increased my sugar/carbs for a while and now I have a cyst on each ovary. I am having them removed on Monday and I am back to roughly 50 carbs a day.

I hope your surgery goes well.

I played around with some rice and sweet potato but I think I feel best when I stay below 75.

I listened to a great podcast from Underground Wellness interviewing Dr Daniel Kalish. In the podcast he said to email his office for a free copy of his books. I got them today. In the podcast it was like he was reading my medical history. I'm finally connecting the dots, not just treating one symptom after another.

I am just amazed how gluten intolerance/ leaky gut affects cortisol which then affects female hormone balance. I can see how all the years of what I thought was IBS led me down the road to endometriosis, PCOS, hyperplasia, infertility etc etc. it has been an amazing three year journey to undo and heal from the damage. I have hope and I am the healthiest I have ever been in my life.

My Journal

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    I am glad that you are feeling so much better! I am checking out Dr. Kalish now. I will have some extra time to read next week. PCOS is so tough because it is different from woman to woman but I think diet is so important. My GI doc said that much of what they know about digestion comes from studying men so it does not take into consideration the difference in the hormones between men and women.

Belinda J is offline Junior Member
    Hi everyone, I am totally new to Paleo and completely new to the forums as well.

I was dx with PCOS 10 years ago and with Endometriosis 7 years ago. Have been battling excess weight since puberty. Have suffered at least 4 miscarriages (I am divorced now so TTC isn't something I am concerned with for the moment, but getting myself ready for the future possibility of children is definitely important).

Umm... what else do I tell you about myself in a nutshell?

I live in Sydney, Australia and I am 38 years old.

I just hope I can learn alot from the forums and make a really positive impact on my health. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Belinda

Aingealag is offline Member
    Hello ladies,

I just wondered by what process you were diagnosed with PCOS?
    I got my AMH tested and the resulting report said that my AMH level was 40 and therefore I "probably have PCOS". But I had an ultrasound that came up normal. I do have hormonal acne (and what a bummer that is btw!), but I am not overweight. Btw, I am 32 and besides auto-immune thyroiditis I feel pretty healthy. This is confusing...

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    My T level, slightly elevated fasting blood sugar level, lack of period- those are what convinced the doctor i switched to, turned out she also has it

i also had skin tags, hair loss, facial hair growth, dark patches on my knees and tops of my feet, terrible anxiety and depression etc etc

pcos symptoms rum the gamut from mild to severe and my symptoms wont be your symptoms. i cant remember if i ever actually had cysts in my ovaries
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Belinda J is offline Junior Member
    I had excess weight, facial hair, heavy & painful periods - those were my worst symptoms.

It wasn't until I did some google searching that I found my answer, before that my Dr had no idea and just put me on the Pill. Even after my diagnosis, his solution was to put me on a different type of Pill.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I never had regular periods and spent a number of years on birth control to regulate. Diagnosed and treated for endometriosis. Gained about 30lbs and that's when I started getting hormonal cystic acne, a bit of extra hair growth, and no ovulation, no periods. I basically diagnosed myself. Was taking clomid to get pregnant and asked the dr if I could try Metformin also. I ovulated! I wasn't officially diagnosed for a couple more years.
    Primal for three years now. PCOS mostly managed. But recently (I'm 38) there has been a shift. I gained 10lbs in about a month. I'm now on 750mg Metformin. It's been two weeks. My jawline acne is trying to return. I get my hormones tested on Monday.

My Journal

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast