Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal PCOS'ers? page 2

hw1178 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have PCOS, but I'm not overweight and I am not insulin resistant. I do have some mild hirsutism on my chin line and when not on BC I have heavy painful periods. I'm 100% gluten-free (I have celiac) and I eat low-ish carb, but not very low carb (I try to stay under 100 g per day). I recently tried cutting back on my dairy and I have to admit, the hirsutism has improved. I was hoping cutting out dairy wouldn't do anything for me so I could keep eating it, but it looks like it does have some effect. *sigh*

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2003. I was put on metformin. I recently went off while breastfeeding. In this time I found PB and have been primal for 9 months. I've just weaned my son and am re-educating myself of the benefits/risks of metformin. I have come across a lot of studies that show metformin is still beneficial in non IR and non obese women. I was wondering what anyone's experience is? I know I had tummy issues on metformin, but that got better as I eased up on the dairy. I really don't know what my body is going to do yet on the primal way of life. I think I'd be willing to go back on metformin if it would indeed help...even though through PB my fasting blood sugar, cholesterol and weight are improving.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

denise is offline Senior Member
    I'm another sufferer. I am off metformin now - doesn't seem to have any adverse effects. I am still desperately hoping for other symptoms to improve - but its only been 3 months of full on Primal so that might be too soon. My periods - still all over the place but this month no PMS and so far much lighter.

I haveb= been dairy free for 5 weeks - mainly cos I am doing a whole 30 that became a 44 (don't ask - some 85% choc got into my mouth at day 14). Its been even harder to cut than sugar at first - but now its ok. I will reintroduce because I see no changes from not eating it - see if reintroducing makes any difference. If not I plan to have a little cream on berries and a bit of butter sometimes - oh and I got some ghee for cooking to see if the flavour is a nice alternative.

Like you I would LOVE to hear from fellow sufferers about any changes you have had.

I am SO angry that PCOS and insulin etc is such a well known thing (I find now) yet no one I saw about all my "issues" ever, ever suggested cutting carbs to me. My life could have been very different.

Ah well - make it different from NOW I suppose - thats all we can do.

geostump is online now Senior Member
    I was diagnosed back in 2007 with it at 31. I can say mine is clearing up. My doctor considered me a mild case with it. My insulin resistance is slowly but surely going away, the dark skin patches are gone and my bald spot is filling in. I have lost 15 lbs thus far. I still eat dairy, I don't see the point in letting that go. All in all, this was a great move for me.
    Georgette

I have been feeling great since going primal. I am hopeful that it will continue. I know the breastfeeding has helped in the hormone department. I still struggled with milk supply like many with PCOS, but I was able to make it to 9.5 months. I'm thinking about getting a full panel of bloodwork done...maybe in a couple months to see how things are with testosterone, LH:FSH.....I guess I just need to see how it goes the next couple months. I haven't had a period while bf.

My blood sugar has been great, my cholesterol ratios are very good now (used to have high trig/low hdl).

My Journal

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    I find out Friday if I am indeed PCOS. I know I am IR as I'm Type 2 diabetic (w/ non-diabetic BG thanks to Primal). I've been struggling with cheating twice a month for the last year because of going off Metformin & supplements. I lost weight well, easily, and quickly before that. What little I did lose is quickly coming back. I'm only on day 3 of LC Primal since connecting PCOS/going off Metformin dots, and going back on a supplement I was on last year, too - Chromium. I totally believe this will help. I 'accidentally' did meat & egg only for a week, and happened to be the week I ovulate - and my period after that was like a vacation in the Tropics compared to what it's become in the last year. If I can break the cheating cycles that keep happening when I ovulate and when I have my period, I feel like maybe I'll finally get more weight off again. We'll see if the doc wants to put me back on Metformin when I see her for the results of the blood work & ultrasound Friday. LC and Primal have done wonders. I just need something else to help w/ the insulin surges during those two times per month. Hoping that's not a for-life kinda thing, though. Maybe when I get to goal weight.
    Oh, and I do eat dairy, but way less than I ever have. I use cream, butter, and sometimes cheese, yogurt, etc, but I've given up everything but cream & butter and I do lose better that way. Not sure if using raw milk stuff would make a difference, but I would guess it would.
    It is interesting to me how you can have some PCOS who are IR and some who aren't.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hw1178 View Post
    I have PCOS, but I'm not overweight and I am not insulin resistant. I do have some mild hirsutism on my chin line and when not on BC I have heavy painful periods. I'm 100% gluten-free (I have celiac) and I eat low-ish carb, but not very low carb (I try to stay under 100 g per day). I recently tried cutting back on my dairy and I have to admit, the hirsutism has improved. I was hoping cutting out dairy wouldn't do anything for me so I could keep eating it, but it looks like it does have some effect. *sigh*
    Woah, this is, like, EXACTLY me . Though I just cut dairy entirely. I actually like it - I am/was addicted to dairy, and it's like a huge burden off of my life. Kind of a "look what I can do!" thing. I feel so empowered.

Thoughhh I should point out that I am now on ze Pill due to years of dealing with what could also be endometriosis. Don't care about the side effects right now, I couldn't live every single day of my life in misery anymore.

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalvore View Post
    Thoughhh I should point out that I am now on ze Pill due to years of dealing with what could also be endometriosis. Don't care about the side effects right now, I couldn't live every single day of my life in misery anymore.
    I think I have endo as well. Did you go through extremely painful cycles to where the only thing that helped was constant movement/working out? Let me know. I just went off the pill last month as I want to get tested for endo and see what my options are(non-pill wise) to see what can be done. I turn 35 this Sunday so I know the pill is worse for women once you hit that age. Let me know.
    Georgette

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    Nope - I went through years of crippling, excruciating pain where I would black out in high school or college classes. The kind that Oxycodone couldn't help - seriously. Usually my random periods came when I woke up and got in the shower, and then I would be suddenly hit and end up vomiting and feeling like someone disemboweled me all morning long. FUN!

I think Endo can take form with a variety of symptoms, though. From what I've heard it's pretty much impossible to diagnose with endoscopic surgery - not even ultrasounds can see the tissue.

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

I was dx with endometriosis also, back in 1996. I, like primalvore was in unbelievable pain. It was suspected because of my heavy, painful periods, but only confirmed through a laporoscopy. I also had a bout with hyperplasia. I've always felt the best when pregnant. So now I am getting closer to my ideal weight, eating great and just weaned my son. I am waiting to see how things go now that I am primal.

My Journal

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast