Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you learn about primal/paleo? page

jpippenger Guest

Primal Fuel

How or where did you first come across the idea of follow a primal or paleo lifestyle?

I discovered paleo first and it was froma recommendation of a professional writer that had diabetes but couldn't afford health insurance. She and her husband began following the primal lifestyle and was able to manage their diabetes without doctors. Her story was enough to start me reading up on it.

Riceball Guest

My journey to primal lifestyle was kinda winding.

I was on a low carb diet to lose weight,(at the time I didn't think it was healthy) and stumbled upon jimmy mooore's website and learned that it was actually health beneficial to stay low carb, so I started research on the low carb eating style.

(my dad had a heart attack last year and his diet is not lowering his cholestrole...so at first I did a bunch of reading and styding about cholestrole, diebetes and low carb)

And I found MDA b/c of jimmy moore's recommandation and I read mark's explination on carbs, insulin level and diebetes and I thought it one of the best illustration I've read, and his idea about primal eating made perfect sense to me.

that's how I started reading more about primal life style and sticking with it.=)

Anonymous Guest

I've been working to loose weight for over a year now. A friend of mine pointed me to doing P90/P90X for an exercise routine. Starting last November, I started the P90 program. After I finished that, I started looking at P90X. P90X has several phases to it, and the first phase is a 'low carb' diet. I started doing research how to do the low carb, and started debating whether or not I wanted to do low carb.

I was already working on eating as few non-processed foods as possible. About the only processed foods that I was eating was bread for sandwiches.

I ended up doing a lot of reading and research on low carb, and because of the P90x->Mark link (He did the 'recovery drink' for them), I ended up here. It all started to make sense. Paleo is a bit too limiting for me, I'm not really into the semantics of the whole thing. After all, you're using a computer - paleo man wouldn't have. My general goal is to limit processed foods and at this point limit the carb spikes.

Before I went Primal, my goal for cooking was to cook 'healthy' good tasting food. I'm still trying to do the same - create foods that are really good - even for non-primal people - and more or less follow the Primal guidelines.

madMUHHH Guest

I stumbled upon MDA via....StumbleUpon! Ack!

I barely use StumpleUpon,in fact I haven't been using it at all for the last few months.

Because I'm interested in Fitness and Nutrition, I once got a recommendation for one of Mark's articles. I read it, liked it, read more articles from MDA, liked it even more. At first I was a bit sceptical about the whole primal thing and it was just an experiment for me, something I simply wanted to "try out". But in the end, I obviously stuck with it.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

It all started a long ago when I heard about Dr. Atkins and how people lost weight, lowered their cholesterol and ceased to be pre-diabetics by cutting carbs. All of this regardless of their caloric intake.

So all the "why"s came up:

- Why dont we see obese wild animals in nature

- Why are the only obese animals in nature domestic ones

- How can someone be losing weight while eating more than 2k cal a day

- Why would we evolve to like natural things like fat if they were inherently bad for us?

- Why can't we indulge in meat if we evolved a stomach specifically designed to denaturalize animal proteins

- Why is the US population so fat and unhealthy while going low-fat when the Spanish and French, who consume a lot of animal fat, remain healthier

- Whats the deal with the Inuit, who eat a ton of lard but show no incidence of heart disease whatsoever?

- Why would humans be naturally prone to reach a very inefficient physiological state if they are not careful with their caloric intake?

- Why is the question "what should we eat?" so difficult to answer for humans, but so easy for other animals?

Then Evolutionary Biology kicked in and everything fell by it's own weight

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

thebkon Guest

I am with you madMUHHH... good ol' Stumbling!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

When I decided it was time to lose weight, the thought struck me to eat like our ancestors did, but at the time I didn't know what to call it. I did some looking around the net and found Paleo sites, which prompted me to cut out grain.

About 2 months ago another runner on Runner's World forum directed me to MDA, and I've been here ever since. I'm just now fully incorporating all aspects of the PB.

NeoPaleo is offline Junior Member

A bit of a funny story... years ago (4, 5, 6?) I was reading the message boards on www.conan.com (as in Conan the Barbarian by Robert E. Howard) and someone posted a link to either www.paleodiet.com or www.paleodiet.net or something similar (in reference to "What would Conan have eaten?")

I tried it out for a couple days but couldn't hack it. I later learned I was WAY undereating - I was just cutting out the grain/dairy/legumes but wasn't adding back in to compensate.

Since then I mainly just followed the "Conventional Wisdom" form of healthy eating (which at least got me to ditch fast-food and soda), but also trying other eating-plans just to try them - South Beach, Zone, body-building style plans, etc. Also, last year, I tried veganism for almost a year.

But the idea of paleo-eating was ALWAYS in the back of my mind since out of everything I had ever come across, it was the only thing that truly made sense to me no matter what angle you looked at it from.

So now, with so many more resources (such as MDA), and, it seems, many more people eating this way, I finally find myself back on the paleo/primal way of eating and, so far, it's going very well.

Mr B Guest

It's been an evolving thing for me over several years. I never heard the "primal' label until I found this blog a few months ago.

Sometime in '03 I was getting some workout consultation from a guy who owned a fitness business (can't remember the name), and his recommendation was eating mostly meat, veggies, some fruit and only whole grains at certain times (i.e. after working out).

Having already been into nutrition for a long time, this seemed natural after considering it.

Discovered the book 'Nourishing Traditions' at some point and started experimenting with that, but after a while decided it was still too starch heavy. I was beginng to eat less and less bread by now.

Then, I discovered the Anabolic Diet by Dr. Di Pasquale, which is basically fat/protein during the week and carb up on weekends and copious amounts of green veggies always.

Self-discipline being a weak point for me, however, I never truly followed it...still too much take-out/junkfood...though I never ate bread of any kind unless it was take out.

For the last 3 years or so, I hit a rough spot in my life and in doing so, allowed myself to slip back into junkfood mode and was eating very very badly. Throw waaaaay too much beer and no working out into the mix and nothing good came of it.

Through all that, though, I still preferred eat within AD guidelines, or just no starches period...so gradually over the last few months I've been trying to get back into the lifestyle and during some reading on fitness I somehow came across MDA. Have been hook ever since.

Whew!

Mr B Guest

BTW, though I still tend to favor the AD (allowing cheese/dairy and such), besides pickin' up some great recipes and health info here...this forum, since its inception, has already been great as a "support group".

I have no friends or family who share my inclination for these things, which makes it hard to maintain a lot of times. Glad there's somewhere share with like minded people as we can on here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast