Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Estrogenic diet - Ori Hofmekler page

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

Anti-Estrogenic diet - Ori Hofmekler

Primal Fuel
    I purchased this book on a whim, found it for $5 at half.com with shipping it will be less than $10, itís by Ori Hofmekler author of The Warrior Diet. I havenít gotten it yet but Iím excited to read it. Hereís a quick interview with him, not sure when itís dated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXlYdIVJyEU

Anybody read it, thoughts? I think heís definitely a paleo author, but have admittedly never read anything by him, yet.

Is the Warrior Diet book worth it? Iíve heard mixed reviewsÖ

Nocturnalhorse is offline Senior Member
    I am a fan of Ori and his writings inspite of the fact that I don't necessarily follow a warriors diet. If you want to read more informative articles by him visit dragondoor and warriordiet blog. You might also find some great info on dragon door forums in the nutrition section.

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    I have the Warrior Diet and Maximum Muscle, Minimum Fat books. Very interesting, sometimes overly technical (and I have no way of verifying his "facts"b. I wouldn't say he is Primal or Pale although I think you could mesh the two schools of thought quite easily.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I have a copy of the Warrior Diet (from long before I found PB) but I have never heard of this book. It sounds interesting. When you have finished reading it resurrect this thread and tell us what he says so we can discuss it. I am really interested in this anti-estrogenic idea, though I suspect it will boil down to a very strict paleo diet with an emphasis on grass fed meats.

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member
    The Warrior Diet got me into paleo...it's a great book and intermittent fasting can be very beneficial to folks.

Longquan is offline Member
    I used to Follow the WD for about 2 years, I was a huge fan of Ori and read and listened to everything he said. While the WD is perfectly fine to combine with a primal/paleo approach, the AED suggests a specific, 3 weeks detox plan. The first week is almost no animal protein (as far as I remember, a little dairy is allowed) and very high carb (typical main meal would be beans, rice and veggies) and Ori writes that this first stage is the most effective for weightloss and detox. The second week is high fat, Ori loves almonds and other nuts so these are the main fat sources.
    The third week is the reintroduction week.
    As you can see, there are many parts that completely disagree with the paleo philosophy.
    On the other hand, Ori is spot on when it comes to the dangers of xeno-estrogens.

I really liked the guy and thought he had good intentions until I heard some not so good stuff about him from reliable sources.

Hope that helps

Thanks Longquan, the detox sounds like it's actually pretty toxic but I'm sure it's written with the typical person in mind so I'll see how I can implement some of his advice into my life. If anything I just want to read more about anti estrogen containing "foods". From the tv interview (link in first post) it sounded like it was about eating whole foods, not ridiculous carb loading. We'll see.

Resurrecting this thread. I didn’t yet finish the book but don’t think I will be, here’s why:

The first few chapters are very informative about estrogenic foods. I do think that was worth the money I spent. Turns out I’m not heavily consuming any estrogen-promoting foods so that’s good. The anti-estrogenic foods I’m also eating on a regular basis. Like I said I haven’t finished the book, but I skimmed through the meal plans today.

My gripes:

- Ori doesn’t care to disregard ALL grains and legumes. White rice and some beans like garbanzo, black beans, etc, are okay. I don’t flat-out disagree with him here, but it’s not exactly paleo, which by the way the book never claims.

- Heavy emphasis on wild caught fish, which is great, but though he does say grass fed beef is superior to conventional, none of his meal plans include it. He advocates grass fed dairy a lot more than the meat itself.

- The first week sounds pretty tough. He wants people to under eat during the day (fine by me) and over eat at night (with ya there) but for the typical American it would be a very tough transition. I don’t suppose the Anti-estrogenic diet ever took off due to this. Breakfast was assorted non-estrogenic fruits (berries, citrus fruits) lunch was cruciferous veggies or a juice comprised of those and lunch was more of the same but you could have a bit of protein.

He does state athletes should consume more protein and more food in general than his plan states. Also, some of the recipes at the end of the book aren’t too bad. I was hoping a bit more from the book but maybe a more in-depth read will change my mind. I’m happy I didn’t spend too much on it though, for sure.

It can definitely be paleo-fied JUST by removing grains/legumes and maybe adding in more meat. I don’t think he ever even mentions any animal proteins besides beef and fish. All in all, if you’re following a primal diet free of processed foods you’re pretty damn close to an anti-estrogenic diet, better, I would argue since you don’t deal with any grain/legumes.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    So what are estrogen-promoting and anti-estrogenic foods?

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a re-hash of what he said in his other books. Thank you for the update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast