Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to get back on track, but I just don't like meat that much. page

waxleaves is offline Member

Want to get back on track, but I just don't like meat that much.

Primal Fuel
    I've tried. And I've tried. And tried. I was paleo for about six months, very successfully (tons of energy, felt awesome, lost weight), while simultaneously not too successfully because I felt like I was forcing down meat all the time. Switching to primal helped a ton, because allowing myself to have dairy just made it all easier, and straying from LEAN MEAT made a big difference.

Still.

I'm way off track, and I think about getting back on, but I'd really much rather have a slab of lasagna than a slab of meat. I've only had steak a few times and I really didn't like it much at all (gristle etc). Don't even like bacon unless I start making myself tolerate it every day. I eat lots of eggs.

It kind of kills me to see everyone on the forums loving meat so easily. Primal doesn't exactly work without it. I can't imagine going back to a meat-centric diet. I'm not an animal-rights nut, not weird about handling raw meat, etc. I just don't like the texture of meat at all. Even when I enjoy the taste, I never crave it.

I don't really like fish either, by the way. Or fowl.

Help! What can I do? I want to go primal again.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Not that I think paleo/primal is the only way to eat,

but why not try lighter meats and without the skin? Turkey, chicken, ect... to me those appeal more than heavier meats like steaks, bacon, ect...

Not sure if you have already or not.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

I think I do enjoy turkey and chicken a lot more than other meats, when they're cooked up nicely, but I'm not able to cook them well...so when I cook them, they just taste so lean and unpleasant.

Nocturnalhorse is offline Senior Member
    This happened to my girlfriend initially...she used to only prefer eating fowl without skin, fish and eggs for most part...as time progressed she started incorporating fowl with skin, pork and lamb. Now she enjoys eating beef and bison too. I guess it's just a matter of time.

How long did it take for her? Maybe I didn't give it enough of a try. Or maybe I'm demanding too much of myself right now. I did improve a little after about six months, but I think it partly happened because I got into that diet-thinking that it was only a temporary thing I had to endure, rather than a long-term change I was going to enjoy. I do like various manifestations of pulled pork (carnitas, paleo barbecue etc) quite a bit--maybe I should work on finding some perfect pork recipes.

I didn't grow up in a meat-heavy household. My mom never made steak. My parents ate fish a lot, and chicken sometimes, but I wouldn't eat it.

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    I don't know why everyone thinks they need to be shoveling done multiple portions of fatty meat every day in order to "do Primal right."

Quote: "1. Eat lots of animals, insects and plants."

Okay, so you eat lots and lots of plants, and a little turkey, and a little chicken, and a little fish every now and then, and sneak some ground hamburger into chili, and it all adds up. Then you eat some nuts, some eggs, some cheese, some milk or yogurt, and so forth to make up the protein and fat difference if you get along with it.

I don't see how that would keep you from avoiding grains, restricting legumes, moving slowly, and lifting heavy things.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    buy better meat. A nice piece of eye fillet steak shouldnt have gristle... so what if its a bit lean, smother it in a nice fatty sauce...

Nocturnalhorse is offline Senior Member
    Well! It was a slow transition..when she converted to primal lifestyle she was primarily into running and running only..slowly she shifted her focus from light to heavy kettlebell training which lead her to join a gym which got her into powerlifting four times a week and running twice or thrice a week. During this phase she made a slow but steady transition from eggs and fish to fowl without skin to fowl with skin to pork and lamb and finally red meat. She used to always complain in the past that the taste of red meat too strong for her, now she devours it like a hungry lioness. Planning to get her wear a t-shirt now " Real Girls Eat Meat " ;-)

Eating nuts, eggs, cheese, yogurt etc is awesome for me, in that I enjoy all of those things a lot, but I don't quite feel sustained by them all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvalab View Post
    I don't see how that would keep you from avoiding grains, restricting legumes, moving slowly, and lifting heavy things.
    -When I refuse to eat anything "good," I just can't keep going with avoiding bad things. I end up having grains because I'm just so freaking hungry. That's probably going to happen after work today. I try to hold out, think through it, look forward to preparing a fitting meal, but then I end up with a deli sandwich. Or a burrito. When I get this hungry, strangely, the last thing I want to eat is a part of an animal.
    -I can't lift heavy things (crossfit) very well when I'm not eating meat. I don't have the energy for crossfit on my standard diet. That's one big reason I want to go back to primal--I miss lifting weights!

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnalhorse View Post
    Well! It was a slow transition..when she converted to primal lifestyle she was primarily into running and running only..slowly she shifted her focus from light to heavy kettlebell training which lead her to join a gym which got her into powerlifting four times a week and running twice or thrice a week. During this phase she made a slow but steady transition from eggs and fish to fowl without skin to fowl with skin to pork and lamb and finally red meat. She used to always complain in the past that the taste of red meat too strong for her, now she devours it like a hungry lioness. Planning to get her wear a t-shirt now " Real Girls Eat Meat " ;-)
    Haha, like a hungry lioness. Yeah, I know I need to eat meat if I want to go back to Crossfit, because that's the only way I had enough fuel to do it. No fasting, no oatmeal, no fruit for breakfast.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast