Thread: Splitting hairs dealing with fruit, but wondering still. page

kcult is offline Senior Member

Splitting hairs dealing with fruit, but wondering still.

I've heard fruit called "today's fruit" like the fruit in the grocers or even in the orchard is a modern adaptation of fruit from the days of old. So, when do you get a feel good feeling about fruit?

This thought occurs to me when I'm picking pears from an over half century old pear tree. Could it be considered today's fruit? The tree is in a yard out in the middle of the nowhere. It's a feel good moment for me to pick that pear and have a snack. I don't get the same feeling eating a Honeycrisp apple from the local Mega Mart.

Thoughts?

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    I don't bother with fruit now, apart from avocados. For carbs I have tubers, and just don't have that much of a sweet tooth.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Picking berries in Maine in the summer. Love it.

We had a pomegranate tree in our yard when I was a kid and I grew up on them. When I bought my first pomegranate in a grocery store, I threw it out because there was none of the intense flavor I was used to, it was just... sweet flavored.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    Every fruit, vegetable and animal is today's fruit, today's vegetable and today's animal. A cow is to wild game as a poodle is to a wolf.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

PeteTheMeat is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirrorball View Post
    Every fruit, vegetable and animal is today's fruit, today's vegetable and today's animal. A cow is to wild game as a poodle is to a wolf.
    Agree. Try to look back to the beginnings of any food that we eat today and you will likely find something that is almost entirely inedible. At least, very unappealing.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    My understanding is all the fruit we commonly have today has been selectively bread for sweetness and size (Artificial Selection as opposed to Natural Selection). For example, a real wild banana is a weird looking, seedy thing:

http://xmb.stuffucanuse.com/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=4464

I try to eat about 2 pieces of fruit a day, but when I started eating Primal I cut it out to get over the carb-flu hump. I've also reached my weight loss goal and haven't seen any negative consequences from eating fruit so I don't worry about it.

kcult is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    Picking berries in Maine in the summer. Love it.

We had a pomegranate tree in our yard when I was a kid and I grew up on them. When I bought my first pomegranate in a grocery store, I threw it out because there was none of the intense flavor I was used to, it was just... sweet flavored.
    I think you are thinking along the same lines I am. Whether that pear tree was bred, spliced, raised, cuddled, etc., over 50 years ago doesn't seem to stifle the feeling I get when I pick the fruit and eat it.

Coincidentally, the deer I hunt have been eating the pears from that same tree.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I really just sort of strayed away from fruit. I do enjoy fresh berries on occasion.