Thread: Health getting worse with primal?! page

fluffywanderings is offline Junior Member

Health getting worse with primal?!

Primal Fuel
    Ok, so I have been a Traditional Foodie for many years and 11 months ago had a baby. Then, I switched to primal about 6 months ago and then even more primal (cut out most dairy and too much fruit) a few weeks ago and now I am not feeling so good! What happened? I have these really bad stomach aches every once in a while (which may be from some chocolate I have been eating), but on top of that I have really been bloated and gassy (never in my life have I had this problem... I didn't even know what bloated really was until now). I also have what can only be described as "liver spots" on my hands... they are about normal bruise size but are not bruises. They are just faint discolorations in my skin that come and go. So weird!
    Also, I got my first ever yeast infection (at least that's what I think it might be... it's pretty minor) having NEVER had any problems with yeast or anything before!!
    What's happening? Can you help me?
    Here is what i have been eating lately:
    Breakfasts: Eggs (or primal coconut pancakes and waffles), with veggies cooked in bacon grease or coconut oil
    Lunches: leftovers or salads with tons of veggies and some meat of some sort
    Dinners: cooked greens with lamb or beef, beef stew, sausages, etc.
    Desserts/Snacks: some peanut butter , avocado fugdsicles, berries, banana, nuts, etc.

More background: I am 25 and recently moved back to Hawaii where I grew up (my mom thinks the transition is what is causing the yeast problems... I dunno though. I am not that fit, just a bit skinny fat. 5'6" and about 130-135 lbs.
    Last edited by fluffywanderings; 10-27-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Primal Babe is offline Senior Member
    I would go in to see your dr for a complete physical/bloodwork and go from there... your diet looks good to me.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I'd second the rec for a dr visit and all of the normal bloodwork but here are my thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by fluffywanderings View Post
    Ok, so I have been a Traditional Foodie for many years and 11 months ago had a baby.
    What were the traditional foods that you gave up? Generally speaking, if we eat the whole animal, we're doing really well on most nutrients. But if we forgo the marrow, brains, sweetbreads, etc we are missing out and will likely need to supplement.

How is your sleep? If the baby is still waking frequently and you're having interrupted sleep, know that this could be playing a major role in the reduction of immune function.

Also, I got my first ever yeast infection (at least that's what I think it might be... it's pretty minor) having NEVER had any problems with yeast or anything before!!
    quote=
    More background: I am 25 and recently moved back to Hawaii where I grew up (my mom thinks the transition is what is causing the yeast problems... I dunno though. I am not that fit, just a bit skinny fat. 5'6" and about 130-135 lbs.
    First:
    25/26 is a common age for hormonal shifts
    after the first baby is a common time for hormonal shifts...and for autoimmune disorders to set in (not that you have one...i'm just making the statement)

I don't see enough selenium or magnesium. And maybe not enough iron and zinc.... but that's just a maybe. It couldn't hurt to get some probiotics on board for awhile to help your gut adjust to your new diet...

Are you eating coconut products? For many, there is a an issue with bowel tolerance when it comes to coconut. Over the last 6 months, I've worked my way up slowly to 1c coconut milk per day...but it was a very very slow process

You live in Hawaii, a place where you should be able to get enough D if you can get out, midday, with most body skin exposed.

Test:
    25(OH)D via LabCorp or Quest (see the "my google docs" linked below)
    ferritin
    CBC (hct/hgb etc etc)

What's your skintone like? Your level of sun protectiveness? Do you 'pigment' easily? ie scar, get 'marks' after a pimple heals, or see brown pigmentation after a scratch heals? Depending on your sun exposure hx and fitzpatrick phototype, the 'liver' like spots on your hands really could be the beginnings of 'liver' spots - which are just solar lentigines/lentigo aka sunspots.

Are you currently taking any supplements?

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    I'd second the rec for a dr visit and all of the normal bloodwork but here are my thoughts...

What were the traditional foods that you gave up? Generally speaking, if we eat the whole animal, we're doing really well on most nutrients. But if we forgo the marrow, brains, sweetbreads, etc we are missing out and will likely need to supplement.

How is your sleep? If the baby is still waking frequently and you're having interrupted sleep, know that this could be playing a major role in the reduction of immune function.

quote=

First:
    25/26 is a common age for hormonal shifts
    after the first baby is a common time for hormonal shifts...and for autoimmune disorders to set in (not that you have one...i'm just making the statement)

I don't see enough selenium or magnesium. And maybe not enough iron and zinc.... but that's just a maybe. It couldn't hurt to get some probiotics on board for awhile to help your gut adjust to your new diet...

Are you eating coconut products? For many, there is a an issue with bowel tolerance when it comes to coconut. Over the last 6 months, I've worked my way up slowly to 1c coconut milk per day...but it was a very very slow process

You live in Hawaii, a place where you should be able to get enough D if you can get out, midday, with most body skin exposed.

Test:
    25(OH)D via LabCorp or Quest (see the "my google docs" linked below)
    ferritin
    CBC (hct/hgb etc etc)

What's your skintone like? Your level of sun protectiveness? Do you 'pigment' easily? ie scar, get 'marks' after a pimple heals, or see brown pigmentation after a scratch heals? Depending on your sun exposure hx and fitzpatrick phototype, the 'liver' like spots on your hands really could be the beginnings of 'liver' spots - which are just solar lentigines/lentigo aka sunspots.

Are you currently taking any supplements?
    Wow! Thanks for the reply! I mostly just gave up grains and dairy.I am still waking frequently at night, and that has definitely been hard on me, so some of the issues could be from that. I would love to take some probiotics, but am really low on money at the moment... if i can get up the cash, what type would you recommend? It would be best if it can be bought at a store cause shipping is crazy to HI.
    I do eat lots of coconut stuff, flour and milk and raw coconut, but always have. Maybe I will back down off them for a bit and see how I do... although I will not have anything to eat!!
    I am white, but tan easily. I don't think I have the brown marks you are talking about. My skin is always pretty clear. I do bruise super easy though! The spots come and go and I first saw them in pregnancy. Does that line up with your sunspot idea?
    Thank you so much!!!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    What you describe doesn't sound like simple solar lentigo, especially in combination with the other symptoms and bruising but your doc would be the best one to ask.

At the least, it would be good to get a multi...your body is under a lot of stress from the continued night waking.

see my docs in my sig link for multi recommendations. I can almost promise you that it'll be cheaper to buy online from iherb than a local store. My SIL lives in Florence Italy and it's cheaper for her to buy from iherb and have it shipped to Italy than it is to by locally.

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sympto...ing/causes.htm
    Causes of Bruising:

The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Bruising. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks!!
    Looks like you have an awesome stockpile of information!
    I don't even have a doctor. I guess I should get one... Poo.