Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart palpitations and (relative) racing pulse page

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member

Heart palpitations and (relative) racing pulse

Primal Fuel
    I was getting incredibly bad heart palpitations and racing pulse after eating gluten. My resting pulse is 46-50 or so, so yes, it's slow. But it would double (94-102 or so) and I would feel short of breath with the ingestion of gluten. The effect would last for half an hour and slowly subside.

I've been off gluten and most grains (very occasional rice or rice crackers) for 5 or 6 weeks I think. I haven't had any palpitation issues that I can remember. Yesterday after I finished some cheese, the same palpitations happened. Then today I finished a yogurt and it happened too. And with peanuts (yes, I realize not the healthiest thing, but they were there and fresh roasted). Peanuts give me digestive distress sometimes, but not palpitations.

Anyone know what the hell is going on? I have Hashi's and adrenal fatigue. I am in the process of reading Dr. Datis Kharrazian's thyroid book, which I'm finding really helpful. He essentially recommends a primal diet for maximum healing (meats, greens, good fats, chicken broth...probably for gut healing I think). I am going to try that, but I am just wondering why this is happening. It's scary and I thought I was okay until this started happening again.

And I don't want to hear "STRESS." It's not stress; it's directly related to eating.

Thanks.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Any possibility you're anemic?

It could be that as your body ramps up to digest certain things, it puts in a greater demand for oxygenated blood to your intestines. If you're anemic, that might cause a rise in your heart rate.

My pulse is steadily dropping since supplementing with liquid iron and using iron cookware. I haven't had palpitations either (but those are rare enough for me that could be insignificant)
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

gator70 is offline Member
    If you are having a serious no kidding cardiac event such as an iregular heartbeat etc.. .you should see a doctor. I'm not a doctor, but I am an EMT. Long and short, if it scares you like you say it does, it won't hurt to get it checked out to rule out anything of a serious nature. My fiancee is kind of in the same boat. She cannot tolerate Gluten, and coincidentally has cardiac issues that so far are unexplained. Regardless, if she has a cardiac event, in her case a very brief Ventricular Tachycardia, we go to the ER. Currently she has a heart monitor implanted (outpatient procedure) to try and catch an "event." Anyways I'm not trying to scare you but as an EMT I know that many people end up in bad positions because they are not listening to what their bodies are telling them.

Mike7 is offline Senior Member
    I use to have heart palpitations till I realize that wasn't getting enough potassium, so I ordered some potassium gluconate and it worked. If it doesn't work, then see a doctor.

Jadebb1 is offline Senior Member
    I think that gluten, legumes (thus peanuts), dairy and eggs can all cause gut irritation. I don't know the science of it all, just they fall into category of potentially causing problems for people with autoimmune disease.

Sounds like dairy might be something to stay away from for you........if it gives you palpitations, and it is food related, avoid it........

Just an idea......

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gator70 View Post
    If you are having a serious no kidding cardiac event such as an iregular heartbeat etc.. .you should see a doctor. I'm not a doctor, but I am an EMT. Long and short, if it scares you like you say it does, it won't hurt to get it checked out to rule out anything of a serious nature. My fiancee is kind of in the same boat. She cannot tolerate Gluten, and coincidentally has cardiac issues that so far are unexplained. Regardless, if she has a cardiac event, in her case a very brief Ventricular Tachycardia, we go to the ER. Currently she has a heart monitor implanted (outpatient procedure) to try and catch an "event." Anyways I'm not trying to scare you but as an EMT I know that many people end up in bad positions because they are not listening to what their bodies are telling them.
    This is the second time in a week that someone has posted here with potentially serious symptoms related to the heart. What gator says cannot be stressed enough. It's probably nothing, it's potentially deadly. If there is one thing that CW medicine can do if given the chance is keep you alive when the heart is in extremus.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Peanuts and milk are both high in lectins. Maybe you are reacting the the high lectin content? When you were eating grains your were so maxed out on lectin ingestion that you couldn't tell a difference when eating milk or nut and now you can?

I am still researching, but from what I have read so far, it looks like eating lectins can cause your body to present more thryroid hormone to your immune system, making it possible to keep or ramp up the immune response.

Hope you are feeling better!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...8/ai_54561205/

Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    This is the second time in a week that someone has posted here with potentially serious symptoms related to the heart. What gator says cannot be stressed enough. It's probably nothing, it's potentially deadly. If there is one thing that CW medicine can do if given the chance is keep you alive when the heart is in extremus.
    I went to urgent care and had an EKG a couple months ago WHILE I was having an episode and it showed nothing. normal sinus rhythm. Just sped up.

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Peanuts and milk are both high in lectins. Maybe you are reacting the the high lectin content? When you were eating grains your were so maxed out on lectin ingestion that you couldn't tell a difference when eating milk or nut and now you can?

I am still researching, but from what I have read so far, it looks like eating lectins can cause your body to present more thryroid hormone to your immune system, making it possible to keep or ramp up the immune response.

Hope you are feeling better!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...8/ai_54561205/
    Thank you. I know I need to give up dairy. As I don't have the palpitations when I don't eat it. I just have to get the appropriate supply of food so I can do that. I am trying to use up all the stuff we have now, but it doesn't look like I'll be eating it any longer.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    Any possibility you're anemic?

It could be that as your body ramps up to digest certain things, it puts in a greater demand for oxygenated blood to your intestines. If you're anemic, that might cause a rise in your heart rate.

My pulse is steadily dropping since supplementing with liquid iron and using iron cookware. I haven't had palpitations either (but those are rare enough for me that could be insignificant)
    Thanks. I had my blood work last week and should get the results today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast