Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't fast, but I might pick up some speed page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

I don't fast, but I might pick up some speed

I want to get some input on this before I start, and maybe this belongs in the fitness/athletes forum instead of here.. but here goes anyways:

I would really like to try some periodic fasting, but I am a hard crossfit trainer 5 times a week and find that if I don't keep myself full at around 3000 cals a day I really feel like shit and sluggish.

I train M - T- W, take thursday off, and then back again on F - S, off Sunday (and repeat)

Because I take thursdays off, I was thinking of attempting full 24 hour fasts on those days with nothing but tea and black coffee. What I am afraid of is that it is going to affect me negatively in regards to performance and recovery.

Let me tell you why I'm doing this: I used to weight 300lbs and now I weigh 150. I am solid as a rock, but the only thing that still bothers me is the VERY bottom of my abs are still slightly covered in a layer of fat. It's not a big deal but I want it gone and while it's only been a year since I lost the weight and I know time can get rid of these things, I'm tired of waiting.

I would love any feedback on this from anyone who trains hard as fuck and fasts. If I need to move this to a different forum, I will.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Keep in mind that exercise like crossfit, although healthful, does put stress on your body, and it's harder for a body under stress to lose fat. Why don't you take a week off from crossfit and try a 24 hour fast during that time?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Keep in mind that exercise like crossfit, although healthful, does put stress on your body, and it's harder for a body under stress to lose fat. Why don't you take a week off from crossfit and try a 24 hour fast during that time?
    I understand what you are saying and think it's very valid advice, but I think the problem I have with that is that it is not sustainable for me. I would like to theoretically make IF'ing into a regular habit and I don't think I can keep taking extended periods of time off my training like that. I am not discounting what you are saying; I am just not sure how I would fit that into my current lifestyle.

Part of the reason I am nervous to try this 24 hour fasting routine on my day off is because of how much stress crossfit puts on my body and why I have not attempted it yet. I would really hate to have to choose between: 1) Keep training to get to the level I want or 2) Stop training to lose a little bit of fat over the bottom of my abs.

In a nutshell: I understand I train harder than what PB recommends but my goals are to start entering competitions and run with the best. I am looking for a way to incorporate IF'ing into that lifestyle.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Crossfit seems like a great system, but 5 days a week seems a bit much. Not a lot of recovery time. Have you ever thought about cutting it back to 3 days a week and maybe throwing just a sprint day into the mix? From your posts it seems like you really love it, but maybe too much of a good thing is preventing your progress. Recovery time is just as important as the time spent in the gym.

I agree skink, which is why I take two recovery days a week. I am in very good shape and know my body very well and after years of crossfitting have been able to determine that two days a week is enough for me to prevent injuries and recover enough for my next sessions. God, I sound like I'm being confrontational or disagreeable but I'm really not trying to be. I just basically want to try to determine if its feasible to incorporate fasting into my kind of training regimen... not how to change my training regimen about fasting.

I hope that makes sense without sounding like I am dismissing what you've said, because I agree with you wholeheartedly on the issue of recovery.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    check out leangains.com try shorter fasts, skip breakfast and eat at 12 or 1pm, see how that goes for you, don't do it everyday at first, do it maybe thrice or twice a week on your days off?

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    wellll....why not try it one thursday....if it works it works, if not, then go back to what you were doing. exercise like you do is only as detrimental as your hormonal status....like if you 'stress' over exercise like you stress over a job then i wouldnt take a fasting day...if your routine(i dont know about crossfit) is short and intense, then i can see fasting as enhancing your insulin sensitivity and providing good growth hormone feedback. but only you can determine that, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    check out leangains.com try shorter fasts, skip breakfast and eat at 12 or 1pm, see how that goes for you, don't do it everyday at first, do it maybe thrice or twice a week on your days off?
    Yeah I was reading into this on leangains earlier this morning actually. In my research I have seen examples of a single 24 hour fast per week (aka eat stop eat) and then the leangains approach like you have given. I think the single Dinner to Dinner fast would be easier for me to manage but it seems like the shorter 12 - 16 hour fasts might be more acceptable for someone who trains a lot.

Maybe I should stop being a goddamn worry wart and just try both for a few weeks and see which one works best instead of trying to be all scientific about it. I'm a software developer and sometimes I tend to overthink the numbers even when I'm not coding...

Either way, you have given me something to consider!

edit: Malpaz read my mind while I was typing my post... <3

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Not a problem, I'm pretty thick skinned. In that case I would think fasting on one of your off days would work, but I would make sure you get really good post work out meals in before you start the fast. Also, you may want to check out leangains(you may already have), he talks a lot about fasted work-outs. That may be something that could work for you.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    IFing routinely and and one 24 hour fast a week aren't quite the same thing in that when you get used to doing the daily IF you body get's used to eating at certain times and will come to expect it. (this has something to do with the hormone ghrelin) http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-hormones.html Longer fasts, i.e. 24 to 48 hours for me actually require some degree of discipline and forethought as to how I'm going fuel up before and after the fast. My leangains style 16 hour fasts are perfectly normal and routine.

Grumpy makes a good point in that there is a difference in the way you workout and how it's going to effect weight loss and your caloric needs. If you want to lose weight via cardio then you might not want to use IF or restrict your calories where lifting fits in very well IF (which can cause some degree of calorie restriction). If you attempt both then you're likely going to be very tired a lot and your body also will attempt to hold onto as much weight as it can. Lyle McDonald has also written about this a while back.

Not being a crossfitter, I'm not sure how much of it is cardio and how much is strength training. I'm mostly a lifter and I do some punching bag work that is sort of an interval thing.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast